help updating from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6.0+ with jailbreak

TheInternetNomad

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an ipad 3 running ios 5.1.1 which is jailbroken and I've been wanting to upgrade it to the 6.0 or a higher jailbreak that has full untethered support, however after downloading both the 6.0 and 6.1.2 update I'm unable to update it manually. Whenever I try to update through itunes while holding shift i get the 1394 error, which after googling lead me to download tinyumbrella which instructed me to uncheck the set host to cydia option, but the problem is the option is greyed out which after doing some more searches made me understand to download a older version of tinyumbrella, however I'm unable to find a link for one or one that is confirmed to be working.

any help would be really appreciated.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can only install "newer" versions when that is the current version (being signed by Apple). Yes, its ridiculous that apple wont even let us choose what firmware version we want, and that we can only upgrade to the current version. You missed out on your window to get 6.1.2. Its an ipad though, and you probably wont notice any difference from 6.1.2 besides some of the ios6 only tweaks. With an iphone, ios 6 gives voice navigation along with some other useful addons. For ipad though, just stay where your at if you want a jailbreak.

TheInternetNomad

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You can only install "newer" versions when that is the current version (being signed by Apple). Yes, its ridiculous that apple wont even let us choose what firmware version we want, and that we can only upgrade to the current version. You missed out on your window to get 6.1.2. Its an ipad though, and you probably wont notice any difference from 6.1.2 besides some of the ios6 only tweaks. With an iphone, ios 6 gives voice navigation along with some other useful addons. For ipad though, just stay where your at if you want a jailbreak.

That's crazy, thanks for the clarification. It would be nice if you could update the ipad from the device itself manually from a file stored on the storage.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is why we jailbreak. Added features and to be able to do "standard" things. With my blackberry, I had an app similar to activator where I could use button presses to launch apps, clear background apps, etc. Also with my blackberry, I had an alarm that wasnt so easily shut off. Custom themes, being able to download from the internet browser, the list goes on. I used to run my blackberry on an older firmware because it allowed music to be played louder.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77