iOS 14.8 vs 15?

DaniPhiSig

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello Hello!

I just got my upgraded phone to a purple 12 (after having a gold 6 for almost 7 years I finally figured it was time to change that LOL).

Received my phone yesterday from my carrier, and it shipped with iOS 14.7.1.
Updates are showing I have the option to update to either 14.8 OR 15. Seeing as how 14.8 is no longer being signed by Apple, is it better to skip the 14.8 and go right to 15, or wait on 15 and do 14.8?

In my experience with Apple products (have Macbook and have had 3 other IPhones), sometimes the brand new updates don't always work the way as expected when they first drop, which is why I am asking since 15 was a very recent update.

Thanks!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello Hello!

I just got my upgraded phone to a purple 12 (after having a gold 6 for almost 7 years I finally figured it was time to change that LOL).

Updates are showing I have the option to update to either 14.8 OR 15. Seeing as how 14.8 is no longer being signed by Apple, is it better to skip the 14.8 and go right to 15, or wait on 15 and do 14.8?

In my experience with Apple products (have Macbook and have had 3 other IPhones), sometimes the brand new updates don't always work the way as expected when they first drop, which is why I am asking since 15 was a very recent update.

Thanks!

Hello and congratulations on your new iPhone! Personally, I would go for the latest update. That said, I found this article from MacRumors that explains both options and gives food for thought about both. Hopefully, this will "un-muddy the waters" for you. And of course, others here on the forums will hopefully share their views regarding the two!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Lots of people like to wait on new major releases until the first minor update to the first major update is out (e.g., 15.1.1). If you are reluctant to try out 15, then 14.8 will be fine to stay on for a while. The issue with no longer signing 14.8 is that you will no longer be able to "downgrade" the phone to 14.8 once you install 15, so you'll have to be sure that you want 15. (FWIW, as far as I am concerned, 15 is fine. I am seeing a few weird notification screen bugs, but they are to dealbreakers IMO, and there are quite a few advantages that 15 brings in my opinion.)

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
For me I always wait until at least the .1 update of any OS since they’re never flawless when first released but that’s just me and I may be in the minority here. I’ve dealt with a lot less issues using this approach. I’m never in a hurry to be first and it’s served me well by waiting for a bit. Let it be someone else’s headache and not mine. I’m sure you’ll hear other opinions to the contrary but do what you feel is best for you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Hello!

Thanks!

iOS 15 has been solid on my iPhone 12 Pro since the initial beta back was released back in June. Since you’ve got a new device, you might as well put the newest iOS version on it, in my opinion. Still, both versions should be fine on your iPhone.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Don’t really know how anyone can show restraint remaining on 14.8 when iOS 15 is available. Good luck op.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My reminders and calendar are a mess since iOS 15. So I am wishing I did not upgrade, I am not getting my alerts. If I do, It does not allow me to either snooze the reminder, or mark it completed. And the alerts are enabled in notifications.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I went to iOS 15 with the beta cycle. Part for my job as IT, part for punishment on myself. Just because that’s who I am.

I do know that there are some apps that require an update to properly work on iOS 15. Channels (DVR) requires a new version for the Picture-in-Picture feature.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2