Cydia screwed me over twice!!!

NoGoodNick

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've learned, finally, to NEVER accept upgrade offers from Cydia. I recently was alerted that there were "necessary updates". Of course, because of the clumsy way Cydia is designed, you only get this notification AFTER you've already started going through the updates one at a time. However, I accepted it, since I couldn't see any problems, and it bricked my jailbroken iPad 2 for the second damn time!

The device was unusable. Sure, it would boot and start, but the screw was off (the Winterboard theme was screwed up) and anything I click on beside Angry Birds would cause it to reboot. I'd had this happen before, and it eventually fixed itself, so I waited. I even tried using the tinyumbrella 'boot fix', but it didn't help. Finally, after more than a week of dead time, it suddenly 'fixed itself'. I was about to reinstall the iOS, which would make it unjailbroken, since I can't reload iOS 4.5 and iOS 5.0 isn't jailbroken yet.

Moral of this story: NEVER update Cydia! You're better off waiting for the next jailbreak, when you'll have to update the iOS from scratch anyway. It's better to not have the 'latest' feature than it is having no device in a time of need (for me, a 3 hour flight with no music, movies or games!).

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I've learned, finally, to NEVER accept upgrade offers from Cydia. I recently was alerted that there were "necessary updates". Of course, because of the clumsy way Cydia is designed, you only get this notification AFTER you've already started going through the updates one at a time. However, I accepted it, since I couldn't see any problems, and it bricked my jailbroken iPad 2 for the second damn time!

The device was unusable. Sure, it would boot and start, but the screw was off (the Winterboard theme was screwed up) and anything I click on beside Angry Birds would cause it to reboot. I'd had this happen before, and it eventually fixed itself, so I waited. I even tried using the tinyumbrella 'boot fix', but it didn't help. Finally, after more than a week of dead time, it suddenly 'fixed itself'. I was about to reinstall the iOS, which would make it unjailbroken, since I can't reload iOS 4.5 and iOS 5.0 isn't jailbroken yet.

Moral of this story: NEVER update Cydia! You're better off waiting for the next jailbreak, when you'll have to update the iOS from scratch anyway. It's better to not have the 'latest' feature than it is having no device in a time of need (for me, a 3 hour flight with no music, movies or games!).

If there is a problem with a Cydia app or tweak then you can uninstall it in safe mode and voila you got rid of the offending app or tweak.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

While I agree that it's a good idea to put off updates during a time you know you'll need your device (traveling, etc) I also believe that doing the regular updates will give you a better, more stable, device in the long run. Sorry to hear you had update issues; Cydia is working better than ever for the vast majority of people, and as new apps come out that make use of updates to Mobile Substrate and so on, I think not updating will hurt you more in the long run.

One thing I will say is that for me the update notes always show up as soon as I open Cydia, not after I've started going through updates (is it possible you're trying to update things without letting Cydia fully load?) and when I have the option of Essential Upgrades or Complete Upgrade, I always do the complete option.

Finally, what do you mean by "it would boot and start, but the screw was off"? What screw?

NoGoodNick

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem isn't with any given App. It's that Cydia, after I performed a whole series of updates the claimed were "essential", bricked my iPad. Every time I tried to run ANY app it would restart the device. The only app I could run was Angry Birds. I couldn't run Settings, Pictures, Maps. Nothing worked!

This has happened twice to me, both times following an "essential upgrade" to Cydia.

Not only that, but after it "fixed itself" this last time, it suddenly started again yesterday! I get it reset, simply by restarting it several times, but I don't appreciate having my devices bricked like that.

I also know there "are no other reports" of this. I searched the internet extensively trying to find the source of the problem. I'm a member on several other iOS Forums, but nothing turned up on any of them. That's why I tried this board, to see if there was any clue as to what was happening.

If it does it again (cross my fingers it doesn't), I'll try to get a screen grab of it. It starts up each time (so technically it isn't "bricked"). I can scroll through the windows and can click on any app. But again, each app except AB causes the device to reboot. I even tried deleting apps, but the only app I suspected of doing anything was Winterboard because the theme I had selected got screwed up. But you can't delete winterboard apps by holding the Home button unless you install a Cydia app to do it ahead of time.

And, no, I'm not a fan of Android or Windows Phone or anything else. I have an iPad 2, an iPhone 4S, and I had (past tense) an iTouch 4 and an ATT iPhone 4. (Long story on why I went thru so many devices, however none were the result of any problem with Apple).

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In the post above you talked about "winterboard apps" which got me confused. There are Cydia apps and then there are Winterboard themes. And yes, you can remove both. Go to Cydia - Manage - Packages and you'll see everything installed there.

Also you say that the device reboots when you launch an app. Are you certain it's a full on reboot rather than a respring?

NoGoodNick

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I meant I thought Winterboard might be causing the problem, since the Winterboard theme was displayed incorrectly, but I had no evidence that was the case. And I couldn't launch Cydia to uninstall it, because I couldn't launch anything!

I think the real problem was that I installed app updates designed for v5 when my device is still v4 (the iPad2 was jailbroken using JailBreakMe, so I wasn't anxious to update it and lose my jailbroken features). Again, I never saw any warnings about that, but that's my best guess about what happened. (It's running iOS v4.3.2).

As far as whether it was a reboot or a respring, I'm not really sure, since it seems to take longer than a typical respring. (It wipes a black slate across the screes, then goes completely black, then a while later a spinning gear shows for a long time before it finally starts up about 4 to 5 minutes later). It Sounds like a respring to me, but again, it seems to be exceptionally long for a respring.

As I said, I tried researching it, but I've seen no other complaints similar to mine. That's why I've tried out different (new) sites, trying to get a handle on the problem, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2