What would happen if I...

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I really want to JB my iPad which has 4.2.1. I realize that the only option is the teathered version.

What would happen to my device if I JB it and have to reboot without it teathered?

For the next month or so, I anticipate being around my PC when using the iPad and therefore being able to teather.

There are a few must-have features I use for my job that I can only find on JB and I would love to move from my iPhone to my iPad for these features due to the larger screen.

Thanks!

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I think all that happens (and someone can/will correct me if I'm wrong) is that you won't be able to launch any of your apps/etc downloaded from Cydia, and the main OS tweaks won't really work. But it'll still boot.. I think.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
If that is the only downside, then I should go forward. Does anyone have any comments?

When the unteathered JB comes out, I will I be able to install over it or just remove the JB (but not iOS) and start over?

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Both of the above are partially correct.

IF you don't have any filesystem tweaks then yes the device WILL boot up but will act as if unjailbroken. (i.e. cydia wont open no JB stuff will load)

IF you installed a filesystem tweak then your device will NOT boot entirely and you will need to tether it to your computer to run redsn0w to boot tethered.

I am currently on 4.2.1 on my iPhone 4 jailbroken with redsn0w and have rebooted my phone after installing tweaks and it sat on the Apple logo until I tethered and used redsn0w to boot it up. That is the only time I have had to do it. Unless your device freezes and reboots itself you will be fine with it tethered for now.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's all the relevant items from the Dev-Team Blog:

The notion of a ?tethered? jailbreak is pretty new to many people, so here?s a quick rundown on what to expect:

1. If you?re on an iPhone3G, old-bootrom iPhone3GS, or non-MC ipt2g, life is easy. redsn0w installed an untethered jailbreak and so nothing below applies.
2. ?Tethered? does not mean you cannot boot at all without PC/Mac assistance. If you have not installed any tweaks that hook into important programs like SpringBoard or CommCenter, your device will actually boot. However, jailbreak programs like Cydia won?t work (and Cydia may still have a white icon). Also, certain built-in apps that had to be moved by Cydia will fail (Safari being the most noticeable example).
3. If you?ve installed MobileSubstrate tweaks that hook into SpringBoard or other important programs, your boot will actually fail (you?ll get stuck at the Apple logo). You need to use redsn0w to ?Just boot tethered right now?.

Remember, @comex and others are working on a way to untether the 4.2.1 jailbreak. Meanwhile, the above 3 points hopefully will make it all seem less confusing :)