Preparing for Resale, Ran into MAJOR problem

jardanpaige

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I am currently preparing my iphone 3Gs for resale. I am supposed to be shipping phone in the morning... please help!

I unsynched my phone from my computer, all pictures, music, and apps were deleted as normal.

In an attempt to reset settings, I went into settings, reset, "reset and delete" data. Once this process was finished I was brought to the usual recovery screen. When I ran BlackRa1n as usual it did not do the usual reboot.

the blackra1n screen stays up for about 5-10 minutes and then my phone powers off.

I attempted to do a restore to 3.1.2 though the felixbruns site and option clicking on the 3.1.2 through itunes- but when restoring apple says I am not eligible for restore. ugh.

Again, i must remain on 3.1.2 firmware as this phone was advertised as unlocked and jailbroken.

if anyone with a glimmer of hope could help me in resolving this issue I'd greatly appreciate it!

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for windows - ...

This is indeed your only hope. You MUST have your 3.1.2 SHSH backed up on Cydia (run Cydia and it will say this in green text at the top of the main screen). If you don't have this, there is no other way. You'll only be able to restore to 3.1.3. Having said that, if your 3GS has the old bootrom you may still be able to jailbreak it on 3.1.3.

Martin

jardanpaige

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
This is indeed your only hope. You MUST have your 3.1.2 SHSH backed up on Cydia (run Cydia and it will say this in green text at the top of the main screen). If you don't have this, there is no other way. You'll only be able to restore to 3.1.3. Having said that, if your 3GS has the old bootrom you may still be able to jailbreak it on 3.1.3.

Martin

if it has the old bootroom how do i jailbreak? same as i did with 3.1.2 or new method?

also ho do i know if its on old bootroom

aimetti

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
normally u could see it if u were jailbroken w/ cydia , however i dont think there is a way to tell until you try to follow those steps and reload the 3.1.2 software. I havent done it myself so I cant tell how it works.

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
if it has the old bootroom how do i jailbreak? same as i did with 3.1.2 or new method?

also ho do i know if its on old bootroom

Whatever you do you will first need to restore the iPhone. Ideally you'll be able to do it to 3.1.2. To find out if you have your shsh for 3.1.2 stored on Cydia edit your hosts file and point the apple server to Cydia. This will make Cydia verify the restore os instead of apple and if your shsh is stored on Cydia the restore to 3.1.2 will work (the reason iTunes said you were not eligible to restore to 3.1.2 is because iTunes checked with apple I stead of Cydia). Instructions for this can be found on the BigBoss site or other iPhone jailbreak sites. If you do not have your shsh on Cydia you will only be able to restore to 3.1.3, no other way.

To check the bootrom version look at the first 5 digits of your serial number; digit 3 is the year and digits 4 & 5 are the week. I forget the exact cutoff but if you're later than week 40 of 2009 (xx940) you most likely have the new bootrom. There is another way of checking that will tell you with certainty, I can't post links here but google is your friend. Search for "how to determine 3gs bootrom version."

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
And as a matter of fact, that's how you check your production week, not your bootrom.

You're right, which is why I indicated the alternate and bulletproof method at the end of the post. I also clearly stated the he would "most likely" have the new bootrom. Also never said that the year and week of production was the bootrom version; in fact the actual bootrom version is uterly irrelevant. All he needs to know is new or old.

As for the accuracy of the method, all I can say it has worked for me on several iPhones and has appeared to work for other people. But to be sure, I did point out that there is a more reliable way to know.

Last edited: