blackra1n... boots to recovery mode only.

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
This is my 50th individual iPhone jailbreak. All with no problems. Using blackra1n again, I click ?make it ra1n?, with is a few seconds the ?you are done?? dialog come up. I see Geo?s face on the iPhone (no progress ?spinning dial?), then to restore mode, then the 2nd ?you are done?? dialog comes up, GOEs face again (this time WITH progress ?spinning dial?), reboot, done.

Everytime I boot my iPhone now I have to rerun the jailbreak to get past the recovery screen or I have to restore my phone If I want it to stop booting to recovery mode. All I want is it to be jailbroken/UNLOCKED without having to rejailbreak everytime I boot it up

Anybody have any idea why it is running twice or who to get passed this.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You have a 3GS with the new bootrom. It's only a tethered jailbreak at this point in time. You're not going to get around it right now.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I never said that.

Step 1: jailbreak with blackra1n
( Jailbreaking a NEW 3GS requires it to be a TETHERED jailbreak, meaning that ANYTIME the phone restarts you need to connect the iPhone to your computer and RE-run Blackra1n from your computer )

Step 2: run blacksn0w

You only need to run blacksn0w the first time after you jailbreak. It will stay unlocked, but anytime the phone restarts you need to re-run blackra1n.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
*bows* glad I could help. Apple fixed the exploit hackers were using to be able to re-jailbreak the iPhone when you'd restart it. That's why they new ones need to be connected to the computer to re-jailbreak for the time being.

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
One if the new iPhones was bought by a girl that doesn't own a computer. The phone is lockEd to a different carrier than her mobile provider. The unlock does notreain though a system restore. So, the fact that she doesn't own a Pc and the battery life is sure to take it out of service and require a reboot. Is there anyway to unlock it without running blacksn0w? Could she take it to the phone carrier and get them to ulock it only for about $100 as advertised on the window? I pretty sure they don't Jb it as to avoid warranty issues. Every time you install a certain Cydia app, or say, reset the internet settings, have a glitch, go inside a hospital, get on a plane, run out of juice(did I say that already?) Or do anything that requires a reboot,make sure your near a computer. Not any computer one with an appropriate Jb program on it. Sounds more trouble than it worth.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
There's no "fix" for this yet, it's something people have to deal with if they want to unlock or jailbreak the new 3GS iPhones.

She could talk to her carrier and see if they will unlock it, but if they don't sell it chances are they can't/won't be able to unlock it, but it will never hurt to ask.

There is no way to avoid using blacksn0w and keeping the unlock.

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks once again. She took it to her mobile provider and paid the $60 dollars to unlock the phone. Love to know what they used to unlock it. The lock code must be done at apple for international carriers. After removing the lock then doing a system restore it replaces the lock again. Does an unlock done in a phone shop going to survive a system restore without being locked again? Does blackrain/blacksnow make the unlock permanent? Is there a difference between them. I read somewhere something about it. Back to the information super highway. I was about to upgrade to the 3Gs but with that issue I going to wait until someone fixes that. Any news on progress or have they finally release something that can't be overwritten. I don't think I could handle having to run blacksnow everytime I switched the phone off. Just means travelling with my laptop everywhere which defeats the reasons to have an iPhone.

Last edited:

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
According to the mobile phone shop the unlock will not survive a system restore. So there is to make the unlock permanent. Something I read somewhere said blacksnow not ultrasnow.

Listy

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
The lock is in the base band. Apples factory preset it? The lock is replaced or returned to it's original configuration with a system restore so it's a permanent thing at present on the 3Gs only, as I didn't have to unlock my 3G again after a system restore. Thanks.

This is a great web site. I've been so informed by people in the know;)

Last edited:

irthy

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know a possible time frame for when the jailbreak for the 3GS 3.1.2 will be more then a TETHERED jailbreak. Or is it even going to happen. Considering the battery life of iphones it kind of worries me if i go out of town or camping or on a long plan ride etc. I do not have a laptop though that would be a good way to avoid long travels and having your phone be useless. Which brings up another question. Can i install blackra1n on any computer (pc) that wasn't used to jailbreak my phone orginally and have it boot up with no issues. Meaning i could just carry blackra1n on a usb stick and just pop it in any computer and quickly run blackra1n to get me back into my phone with out altering my original jailbroken phone. Thanks!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know a possible time frame for when the jailbreak for the 3GS 3.1.2 will be more then a TETHERED jailbreak. Or is it even going to happen. Considering the battery life of iphones it kind of worries me if i go out of town or camping or on a long plan ride etc. I do not have a laptop though that would be a good way to avoid long travels and having your phone be useless. Which brings up another question. Can i install blackra1n on any computer (pc) that wasn't used to jailbreak my phone orginally and have it boot up with no issues. Meaning i could just carry blackra1n on a usb stick and just pop it in any computer and quickly run blackra1n to get me back into my phone with out altering my original jailbroken phone. Thanks!

There is no time frame. GeoHot is NOT actively working on making it not tethered, I am sure that other jailbreak teams are but nobody knows when or IF.

Glavata

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I have a v3.1.2 3GS on 05.11.07 band, is it possible to downgrade from here so that I can get the non tethering method going?

Thanks!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's not the firmware version or the modem version that causes the need for a thethered jailbreak. It's due to the bootrom that is not something that I an aware of that can be modified at this time.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I just got my 3GS replaced and was unaware of this new problem.

Used blackrain, thought everything was fine and dandy until I tried installing a few programs for winterboard that told me I needed to reboot to to have a successful install, etc... rebooted and ran into the problem.

Needless to say it looks like no jailbreak for me until someone finds a way around this. :(

Greenchunks

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand how this is such a big issue for people. When you're out and about turn off 3G/Wifi/Location (easy and quick with SBSettings), then if you wanna browse the internet or use something that requires data support turn it on, then turn it back off once you're done. My phone uses maybe 10% when just sitting on edge while I'm at work for 10-12 hours.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2