3.1 Jailbreak Experience Q&A

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I just JB today and I'm loving it. I had a few issues come up and I thought I would write them out and my fix for anyone else having the same issue. So if you are having problems, had problems and fixed it write it down. I've also got a couple questions that someone who's already JB may already know so if you got questions post them up. Also include which phone you're on 2G, 3G, 3Gs

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm on a 16GB 3G, it was JB today with 3.1 and the custom ipsw included Winterboard. So the first thing I do when I'm in is to install SBSettings so I can turn off my data networks. The first time I did it, it froze when it was trying to restart the springboard. I manually reboot and then I was in Safe Mode. I did a couple of reboots no dice, then I removed SBSettings still in Safe Mode. I connected it to my USB cable and did a sync no prob but still in Safe Mode. So finally I did the JB again, this time I left the phone on the restart of springboard when installing SBSettings thinking I didn't wait long enough. After an hour stuck on the same screen I had to again manually reboot, and again I was in Safe Mode. So I went into Cydia and decided to uninstall any programs which there was only two SBSettings and Winterboard. I uninstalled SBSettings and nothing changed. I uninstalled Winterboard and after the device rebooted Voila I was out of Safe Mode. I installed SBSettings, no problem, then the rest of my usual JB apps. So I tried to re-install Winterboard and after the reboot again I was in Safe Mode. I un-installed it and everything is back to normal. So my phone has now developed a problem with Winterboard. I wont have any background on my homescreens for now but I'll take SBSettings over Winterboard any day.

My question is I always install the 5 Icon Dock, but I was thinking today now with the ability to re-arrange the screen in Itunes how would it interpret and display the 5 Icon dock since that is not Apple sanctioned? Will it cause Itunes to crash? I haven't installed it yet, and probably wont until I know the answer. So anyone that is already JB and uses 5 Icon Dock let me know please.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So did a bit more experiments today and it's just Winterboard that doesn't play well with my Iphone on 3.1 JB. I have Bossprefs which does the same thing I need SBSettings for so I uninstalled SBSettings and re-installed Winterboard and as soon as I resprung I was back into Safe Mode. So I guess I'm stuck waiting for an update to Winterboard or if it ends up on the App Store. Anyone else 3.1 JB that is using Winterboard witout problems??

m83x83

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
No answer to your issue ipheuria but as posted in my other post in this forum i've got my Iphone 3G 8gb Rogers Canada phone fireware 3.1 Jailbroken. Everything seems fine as for the jailbreak it had cydia and everything works nothing looks out of the norm everything runs smooth as it did when I had 3.o firmware and cydia and icy and ton's of ipa files upload to my iphone from PC.

So it was a great suprise when I tried to upload those same ipa files and they got to the final stages of uploading in itunes and then I get an error message. I only got this far after down grading itunes to 8 because in itunes 9 the ability to rearrange icon's kept freezing the iphone and itunes also because I have the 5 dock program installed but also when the uploading of ipas start the whole computer froze? Could it be a bad JB?

CorvZ061

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
So did a bit more experiments today and it's just Winterboard that doesn't play well with my Iphone on 3.1 JB. I have Bossprefs which does the same thing I need SBSettings for so I uninstalled SBSettings and re-installed Winterboard and as soon as I resprung I was back into Safe Mode. So I guess I'm stuck waiting for an update to Winterboard or if it ends up on the App Store. Anyone else 3.1 JB that is using Winterboard witout problems??

For what it's worth, I'm on 3.1 jb and I have winterboard installed using Illumine theme with no problem. I have run into a lot of problems with a lot of theme's causing the phone into safe mode, but winterboard didn't do it for me. if you try winterboard again, go into winterboard in safe mode and make sure there isn't anything checked off.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah tried that the first time the phone came back in Safe Mode went into WB and unchecked everything but it didn't make a difference. I think I'll wait till the weekend and put WB back on to see what happens.

To the poster with the ipa prob try turning off 5 icon dock to see if iTunes will stop freezing. Then remove your JB apps one by one to see if the prob goes away, like me it may just be one rogue app screwing things up.

So now that I'm on 3.1 JB my battery life sucks i started typing in this thread at 95% I'm now at 88%

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I thought I'd update just incase anyone ever runs across the thread. I did a re-JB this time I didn't choose any packages to be installed with the JB. Then I manually installed Winterboard and Cycorder which weren't working previously. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I now have my wallpapers back :D

m83x83

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to some I got iTunes 9 to work properly even with the five dock feature however apps won't upload still and neither will nething else I'm going to attempt my first time self jailbreak with a mac firmware I was given that should jailbreak a 3.1 which was origanally used on my phone but it didn't work I'm hoping maybe a clean reinstall might fix it other wise I'm going to attempt a factory restore .....

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
How did you get it to load properly with the 5 Icon Dock? Also, do you happen to have 5 Row Springboard enabled as well? Because I'm afraid to update iTunes for the sheer and simple fact that I don't want anything to get screwed up with my phone.