Jailbreaking question (3.0.1/ iPhone 3G)

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Pulled the sim, turned off the phone, ran redsn0w followed the instructions and when it told me to release the power button I did and kept on holding the home button down. I saw it say that it uploaded the ram disk and there seemed to be a quick reboot but I wasn't sure it happened too fast. I kept on holding the home button and it is now on the screen that says "Please wait while your device is being jailbroken" and below it says "Please wait for Reboot". That's where it sits, it doesn't reboot and the "finish" button never becomes active.

R

Yea it does that just wait.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok, its been two hours now and its still sitting on that same screen. Let me give you a step by step of what I'm doing and maybe you can point out something that I'm doing wrong.

Turn off the phone
run redsn0w
select the downloaded file (I'm positive its the right one because I downloaded from the link you provided)
Attach to usb cable, make sure phone stays off or turn it off again
I follow the direction exactly as they appear on the screen

The next part is where I may be having a problem.

I see it upload the ramdisk to the phone and the phone blips for a second. It runs the first upload and then it runs the second while I'm still holding the home button. At that point it goes to the last page where it says that redsnow is now jailbreaking and below that it says Waiting for Reboot. Then I take my finger off the home button and wait. I did try keeping my finger on the home button on that screen but gave up after about 10 minutes because nothing happened.

R

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, its been two hours now and its still sitting on that same screen. Let me give you a step by step of what I'm doing and maybe you can point out something that I'm doing wrong.

Turn off the phone
run redsn0w
select the downloaded file (I'm positive its the right one because I downloaded from the link you provided)
Attach to usb cable, make sure phone stays off or turn it off again
I follow the direction exactly as they appear on the screen

The next part is where I may be having a problem.

I see it upload the ramdisk to the phone and the phone blips for a second. It runs the first upload and then it runs the second while I'm still holding the home button. At that point it goes to the last page where it says that redsnow is now jailbreaking and below that it says Waiting for Reboot. Then I take my finger off the home button and wait. I did try keeping my finger on the home button on that screen but gave up after about 10 minutes because nothing happened.

R

When redsn0w sayings waiting to reboot stop holding the home button

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Tramain, I've tried it both ways, it just won't finish. I've restored from iTunes and run redsn0w over and over. I held the button, I've taken my finger off the home button and it still is always the same. I guess the phone is trashed unless possibly an AT&T sim is put in with a valid account.

I'm going to give it one last try, I don't know why I'm going to bother again but if it fails again I think I'm gonna just take a hammer to the phone and go in another direction.

Thanks for all the help, it is sincerely appreciated.

R

CorvZ061

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Tramain, I've tried it both ways, it just won't finish. I've restored from iTunes and run redsn0w over and over. I held the button, I've taken my finger off the home button and it still is always the same. I guess the phone is trashed unless possibly an AT&T sim is put in with a valid account.

I'm going to give it one last try, I don't know why I'm going to bother again but if it fails again I think I'm gonna just take a hammer to the phone and go in another direction.

Thanks for all the help, it is sincerely appreciated.

R

Don't ruin the phone, are you using a 3g or 3gs, sorry i didn't see where you said

Edit: I see you have a 3Gs you are using the 3.0 IPSW for the 3Gs, right?

If not or not sure, here is the link for the 3Gs 3.0 ipsw

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-6582.20090617.LlI87/iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

Last edited:

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to Tramain, the phone is now upgraded to 3.01, jailbroken again, this time using redsn0w and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I had downloaded the wrong firmware upgrade file which is why it wasn't working. Tramain got the right file and got the phone back and running. Added a lot of new stuff that I had not yet played with, some of which is lots of fun, some is ok but I'm looking forward to playing with this thing.

I want to emphasize one thing and that is: KUDOS TO TRAMAIN

No Tramain, no iphone because I was getting nowhere. And would I have taken a hammer to the phone? Hell yes I would.

R

abcde

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
WOW! what a great thread. glad to find it.

alright so here is my scenario, I bought an iphone 3g from ebay. it came locked and not jailbroken, my friend jailbroke it for me and unlocked so i can use it with muy tmobile sim.

Now, i messed with cydia, and decided to restore the phone back to its factory settings through iphone, so i did. The issue iam having, is inorder for me to jailbreak it, i will need atleast to connet my iphone to itunes, and activate it, however, i tunes is telling me that it cann;t be done because the phone is not activated, so i think i need an att sim. what do u guys think?

Thanks

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
No, you do not need an AT&T sim. This is exactly what happened to me with my 3Gs on Tmo. You just need to remove the sim and jailbreak and unlock the phone. Then when you put the Tmo sim back in it will find the Tmo signal.

If the phone is 3.0 then I would use purplera1in and ultrasn0w.

R

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Uh, you don't mention whether the phone is running 3.0 or 3.01. If its running 3.01 then you'll need to use redsn0w to jailbreak. If that's the case be SURE that you download the correct firmware file. I didn't do that and I spent hours trying to jailbreak the phone. Thought I had wrecked the thing and was ready to give up when Tramain jumped in to help me.

R