View Poll Results: Are you currently Jailbroken?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

76 56.72%
  • No

58 43.28%
    I'm both! (One for domestic, one for internatinal travel)
    02-17-2009 02:54 PM
    I haven never jailbroken my iPhone. I will admit to considering it at times, but I just don't want to deal with the risks and such. I'm happy with my iPhone the way it is. It seems as though more people need to restore jailbroken iPhones than "legit" ones. That would just annoy me.
    02-17-2009 03:46 PM
    I haven never jailbroken my iPhone. I will admit to considering it at times, but I just don't want to deal with the risks and such. I'm happy with my iPhone the way it is. It seems as though more people need to restore jailbroken iPhones than "legit" ones. That would just annoy me.
    I think your right, more people do need to restore JB than legit, but the reason is simple, they are pushing the envelope with their phones, I doubt many who JB for themes, mms, copy & paste and a couple other small apps need to restore anymore than anyone else. It's the ones that got to have the latest greatest JB apps
    02-17-2009 04:40 PM
    I agree with you here... I don't think I will be jail breaking my iphone. I have seen to many people in the help forum panicking!
    02-17-2009 06:12 PM
    Stopped at an ATT store to pick up a cable and the young lad behind the counter noticed the five icon dock etc on my phone and started to tell me about how I junked the phone and my first born was going to turn into a newt. Time I left he was going to jb his tonight, corporate had fed him a bunch of crap of all the problems he would have. Pointed him to this forum to answer any questions
    02-17-2009 06:45 PM
    @603doug: lol nice

The average JB does NOT result in any problems whatsoever (at least that was my experience and the experience of everyone who I JB their phones - ~30+ people). Installing apps from Cydia (avoid Installer) is exactly like installing apps from the App Store.

Problems tend to result from testing out beta apps, using Installer (few apps from it anyway), and manually deleting system files (duh lol). Other than that, I am running ~15 apps/extensions from Cydia (including five rows and five columns extensions, LiveClock, Weather Icon, etc...), plus have 3 apps running in the background using Backgrounder and I experience zero issues.
    Last edited by melwan; 02-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    02-17-2009 07:41 PM
    Best thing ever JB how can you have a phone with out MMS what was apple thinking.
    02-17-2009 11:50 PM
    Best thing ever JB how can you have a phone with out MMS what was apple thinking.
    Easy, by adding email instead
    02-18-2009 12:25 AM
    Easy, by adding email instead
    Zing... so true.
    02-18-2009 12:33 AM
    Yeah Steve jobs doesn't like pictures....

LOL!
    02-19-2009 03:49 AM
    I just did a jailbreak. Not that I really needed to, but I wanted to see if I could do it. Plus, I absolutely can't stop fiddling with my iPhone. The only time I'm not fiddling with it is when I'm sleeping or in the shower.
    02-19-2009 03:52 AM
    Yeah I know it's that rush you get of unlimited possibilities!!! LOL...
    02-19-2009 03:58 AM
    no ... not jailbroke
    02-19-2009 07:55 AM
    If there were "huge" benefits (for me), I'd jailbreak... but so far, I haven't read of anything that would compel me to (and I keep up on ALL the jailbreak apps - discussed here, anyway). I have everything I want (need) non-jailbroken right now.

Like llofte said, there's just too many negative outcries for me to consider it (right now)... and it's not a question of fear, or lack of confidence (I'm a web developer of 10 years, I think I can handle it). It's rather a matter of me not completely trusting the DevTeam as much as I trust Apple, I guess. People can repeat the fact that most problems are caused by user mistakes over and over, but I'm just not totally convinced (yet).

Contrary to what some very adamant people here have accused me of in the blog comments, I am NOT opposed to jailbreaking (just their stubborn denials that problems exist - whatever or whomever the cause). Maybe if future Jailbreaking features become far more numerous, while Apple continues not keeping up with wanted features, my feelings will change.
    Last edited by Stevie No-Wonder; 02-19-2009 at 04:27 PM.
    02-19-2009 03:04 PM
    I jailbroke my iPhone four months ago and I love the freedom to do what I'd like. I'm a visual person so I learned how to design my own Clone Wars theme. I have a cool winterboard, slider, weather backgrounds, text background, etc.

I like the fact that I can now use a videa camera (Cycorder) and a better camera (Snapture).

I also like the Categories tool where you can seperate your apps into sub folders, which makes it easy to seperate games from fun apps and productive apps.

My one favorite jailbroken app is the StatusNotifier. You can customize how you get notified from e-mail, text, reminders, ect. I have mine set up to tone (remind) me every half hour, which you can also see from the unlock screen.
    02-19-2009 05:43 PM
    I have jailbroken my iPhone 3G almost as soon as it became available? Why? Primarily because there were applications that I needed that I couldn't get via AppStore (mostly because SDK didn't enable enough features for developers) or because Apple's implementation for functionality... well... sucks (e.g. Camera).

The applications that I use via jailbreak (some of which are commercial and I have paid more than $0.99 for) are:

* Backgrounder (which I use primarily with Beejive IM, an AppStore app)
    * Cycorder
    * Flashlight
    * HPCalc (still my favorite for when I just need RPN)
    * MobileTerminal
    * NemusSync (OMG! Couldn't live without integration to GCal.. why pay for MobileMe?)
    * Netatalk (you haven't lived until you mount your iphone over wireless and people ask where your server is... "um, over there on the counter")
    * OpenSSH
    * SMS2Mail (this should have been a no-brainer Apple)
    * Snapture (night and day better is an understatement)
    * StatusNotifier (tokens are great, if you spend all day in springboard... NOT)
    * xGPS (up and comer... lots of promise... and again a total no-brainer for Apple)

And some jailbreak specific but useful items, such as when upgrading, making more filesystem space available

* AptBackup
    * BossTool
    * rsync

And then just fun stuff

* mame4iphone
    * Macman
    * Moon Phase
    * RailWater

The only apps I have truly avoided up to this point are things that make major adjustments to the UI. I have thus avoided Winterboard, but then I know many people who run it happily. Just my comfort level, I guess.

My favorite jailbreak app story: I'm standing streetside watching the Chinese New Year Parade in San Francisco and I'm holding up my iPhone taking video of some portions of the parade. After a while I hear a surfer-dude type voice exclaim, "Hey man... you can't do that on an iPhone!" Without interrupting my recording or turning around I merely replied, "Go and google 'iphone jailbreak', and learn what Apple left out." He thanked me and was on his way.
    02-19-2009 07:49 PM
    Wow non jail broken users may soon tie the jail broken users. Here is why I am not jailbroke.

First the story. I began "hacking" handhelds back when is was part of the norman developers sold commercial hacking software. My first device was a palm OS 4.1 Kyocera 7135 and we used jack sprat JackFlash/Sprat to remove OS programs. It was simple and what the heck,,,, the device was buggy even before hacking. It was common to use tealmaster to run hacks not allowed under normal operation on early Palm OS devices TealMaster Plus - Hack control panel - PalmGear.com: Download Palm Software for your Treo, Centro, Tungsten, LifeDrive or other Palm OS Device .

A year later it was off to the treo 650 an hacking with shadowmite. I strongly encouraged this and even made easy to use instructions so that more users would push the limits of the OS http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...4-dummies.html

A few years later I was using a different HTC device every 8 months and hacked them weekly with every updated xda ROM available xda-developers - Powered by vBulletin So I'm extremly comfortable with hacking. I've been doing it since back in the day when you had to know a bit about Java coding just to produce your hacked ROM.

I have hacked every device I've ever owned and with every device there has always been those little odd behaviors. Those OS quirks that make you wonder if you have messed up your device with the hacks. This came to a major screeching halt when the GPS on my FUSE would refuse to work. I thought it was the device and never blamed the the cooked ROM because I had become so comfortable with hacking. I warrantied it and what do you know,,,,, the GPS works fine in my refurbished Fuze.

My buddies PPC 6800 was fine after a custom ROM but months later when At&T made network changes in our area all of a sudden he got errors with data and SMS. His hacked phone couldnt handle the changes and his was the only one. We restored his original ROM which only produce other OS quirks.

I have reverted hacked devices back to OEM ROMs but but its not factory freash. Its hacked and then hacked back. It doesn't make the phone new again. I have also lost my taste for hacking. I have better things to do that read up on updated hacking procedure.

Having said all this I would hack another device if I had to have a function that the device didn't support but the hack did. For right now though the iPhone does what I need it to do. I'm sure I'll be messing up several devices in the future since I am in my second semester studying computer science and just recently bought a book on coding iPhone programs
    02-20-2009 05:59 AM
    Look at the numbers now, 33 No to 35 Yes, now it's getting interesting. ilounge.com is running a similar poll and with 679 responses

Yes, I have both jailbroken and unlocked my iPhone.
    8% (57)

Yes, I have jailbroken my iPhone or iPod touch.
    17% (117)

No, I at one point jailbroke my iPhone or iPod touch, but have since restored it to normal.
    9% (63)

No, I have never jailbroken or unlocked my iPhone or iPod touch.
    56% (383)

I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch.
    9% (59)
    02-20-2009 09:24 AM
    It's funny, looking at the poll results so far I see some forum members that I know for a fact are jailbroken now. Maybe when they voted they weren't but now are.
    02-20-2009 09:42 AM
    It's funny, looking at the poll results so far I see some forum members that I know for a fact are jailbroken now. Maybe when they voted they weren't but now are.
    Yeah, I'm one of those now lol.
    02-20-2009 11:15 AM
    Yeah, I'm one of those now lol.
    Skewing the results of the poll...
    02-20-2009 11:21 AM
    I can't help but wonder how many non-jailbreakers (who aren't registered in the forums) may have missed this thread because the blog announcement says "Jailbreak Edition" and they're simply not interested in reading further because they feel it doesn't pertain to them. I didn't read it because of that reason, but then saw that there was a poll in this forum. So, I usually vote on everything I see.

Guess there's just no way to know. :o
    02-20-2009 06:02 PM
    Well, and in a larger sense, what is really the point of asking the question? Is it matter of validating the need for jailbreak by virtue of counting our numbers and holding that up to Apple to say "see? this matters!" If Apple didn't care the first time 'round, I doubt that would make much difference. They know better than we do, right?

Well, ... wrong. And their /competition/ is beginning to demonstrate this by bringing out devices that actually /do/ include many of the things we have been asking for (or accomplishing through jailbreak) and even a lot of things we might not have considered. I, for example, REALLY like the idea of a fully converged SMS, MMS, IM, Twitter, Facebook, etc functionality that we're seeing in some newer products (announced, if not shipped).

If Apple isn't paying attention to these things, they'd better wake Steve up out of his coma so HE can make sure they hear. Either way, we (customers) win... if Apple delivers it or not.
    02-20-2009 06:18 PM
    I can't help but wonder how many non-jailbreakers (who aren't registered in the forums) may have missed this thread because the blog announcement says "Jailbreak Edition" and they're simply not interested in reading further because they feel it doesn't pertain to them. I didn't read it because of that reason, but then saw that there was a poll in this forum. So, I usually vote on everything I see.

Guess there's just no way to know. :o
    Actually this thread was put up before the post on the front page. And it's not in the Jailbreak section of the forums for that purpose. So with that being said, I meant it to be a thread to spark some good conversation among forum members.
    02-20-2009 06:23 PM
    Actually this thread was put up before the post on the front page. And it's not in the Jailbreak section of the forums for that purpose. So with that being said, I meant it to be a thread to spark some good conversation among forum members.
    Ahh... understood.
    02-20-2009 06:41 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD