newly jailbroken 3g HELP!!

Don Pianta

Jan 1, 2009
Visit site
does it usually take a LONG time for the phone to reboot after jailbreaking?

there is the pineapple logo on my screen (that has replaced the apple boot up logo) and it has been there for about 5 or 10 minutes...

is this normal?

it wont go to the home screen... i have turned it off [by holding down the home and power buttons] twice but it still stays on the pineapple logo for a really long time...

HELP! anyone please!

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
did u JB while having 3rd party Apps on there from the App Store?

If yes, restore it with iTunes and re-JB BEFORE syncing any of your data. After JB is complete you can sync whatever u want to it.

To restore it with iTunes:
- Disconnect your iPhone
- Power the iPhone down by holding Home+Power for ~10 secs or so (let go of the buttons as soon as the screen goes black)
- Launch iTunes
- Now hold the Home button and while having it held down, connect the iPhone (do not let go of the Home button until you see iTunes recognizing the iPhone as a new phone)
- Follow iTunes instructions to restore it. Then, you can attempt JB again BEFORE syncing any Apps

Let me know if that works for ya

Good luck

Don Pianta

Jan 1, 2009
Visit site
thanks,

i just restored my iphone ot factory defaults... and i found that the backup i did today DID NOT SAVE... so when i went to restore my phone the latest backup was one back in november.....

is there any way i can find the restore that i did today? (like look for it manually?)

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you want to successfully jailbreak your phone, then you need to do a complete restore i.e. do not select "restore from backup"!

Just choose the option to setup as a new phone. Once finished with that, make sure you are updated to the 2.2 firmware. Then exit iTunes. Open up the jailbreaking program QuickPWN and follow the quick and simple steps to jailbreak your phone.

All done! :D

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
This solution will not help apps with data.

The only issue with your solution is that you lose data from your Apps. Without doing a restore of your phone, u can't get any app data back on your phone. Unless you know how to do a restore from a backup without doing a restore of the phone itself??

Mike

did u JB while having 3rd party Apps on there from the App Store?

If yes, restore it with iTunes and re-JB BEFORE syncing any of your data. After JB is complete you can sync whatever u want to it.

To restore it with iTunes:
- Disconnect your iPhone
- Power the iPhone down by holding Home+Power for ~10 secs or so (let go of the buttons as soon as the screen goes black)
- Launch iTunes
- Now hold the Home button and while having it held down, connect the iPhone (do not let go of the Home button until you see iTunes recognizing the iPhone as a new phone)
- Follow iTunes instructions to restore it. Then, you can attempt JB again BEFORE syncing any Apps

Let me know if that works for ya

Good luck

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
The only issue with your solution is that you lose data from your Apps. Without doing a restore of your phone, u can't get any app data back on your phone. Unless you know how to do a restore from a backup without doing a restore of the phone itself??

Mike

According to the first post and the symptoms the OP describing, I think this is the only solution (as far as I know). If u restore from a back up, u will end up with the same problems being faced right now. The restore has to happen "as a new phone".

The solution I posted was for this problem (and I think its the only way to go about unless someone knows another way):

there is the pineapple logo on my screen (that has replaced the apple boot up logo) and it has been there for about 5 or 10 minutes...

Last edited:

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info, but this isn't a viable solution.

Melwan,
Thanks for the info. But I'd have to do this EVERY TIME Apple does a firmware upgrade?? I would have to flash my iPhone then lose all my app data cause i have to make it a new phone? This can't be a solution.

Does anyone know if the DEV team is aware of this issue?

According to the first post and the symptoms the OP describing, I think this is the only solution (as far as I know). If u restore from a back up, u will end up with the same problems being faced right now. The restore has to happen "as a new phone".

The solution I posted was for this problem (and I think its the only way to go about unless someone knows another way):

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
^ I agree with you and I would like to know better from someone more experienced.

I read somewhere there is a way to restore from back up after JB. I am not sure about the details, thats why I need confirmation as well.

If I understand it correctly, u need to restore in itunes as anew phone only if u encounter a problem during JB. Otherwise, a restore from backup should be ok.

Anyone?

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess no one can help us.

I guess no one can help us on this issue. We just have to forget all our data and not doa restore everytime Apple has an upgrade and They Jailbreak the new version.

This can't be right. there would be ALOT more people screaming. What are we doing wrong?

^ I agree with you and I would like to know better from someone more experienced.

I read somewhere there is a way to restore from back up after JB. I am not sure about the details, thats why I need confirmation as well.

If I understand it correctly, u need to restore in itunes as anew phone only if u encounter a problem during JB. Otherwise, a restore from backup should be ok.

Anyone?

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Actually, I was reading the other day that there are few apps on Cydia that would back up the other Cydia apps. and apparently, (from what I understood) we can restore a back up AFTER jailbreaking to get all the data back in!!! I am not sure how accurate my understanding is, but this whole thing haven't become an issue for me yet. 2.2 was my first attempt and Apple did not release anything new :p

Please let me know if you find anything regarding this, and I will do the same.

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I had this problem before when I first jailbroke my phone. I was doing something wrong with creating the ipsw custom firmware. I ended up downloading a custom ipsw someone else made. Now I just use QuickPwn. The first jailbreak can be tricky when using custom ipsws. QuickPwn is probably the least buggy way to do it. If you're already using QuickPwn I don't know what to say.
As for backup apps, I've heard there is one that saves your app data but I don't know what it is. I usually do this manually by saving the var/mobile/Documents folder to my computer then re-uploading it to the iPhone afterwards.
The Cydia app APTBackup will automatically re-download/install all your Cydia apps after a restore if you've pressed backup within it.

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Either way you will have to do a restore if it's not going to home screen.
Restoring as a new phone has solved problems for me before so it might work. Maybe save the var/mobile/Documents folder and then re-upload it after JB. It might not save all app data but it's close

Last edited:

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Rather than edit, I'll post a new reply. I just found out about AppBackup from Cydia which will backup app data from App Store apps. Pretty sweet. Looks like aptBackup and AppBackup make a good combo.

Edit: From the AppBackup dev's site:
"If you want to "backup the backups," you should back up the entire /var/mobile/Library/AppBackup directory tree."

I guess back that directory folder up, then re-upload it and restore it in the app again.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl