Adding music to icloud to sync to ipod touch

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
So, I have a 128gig ipod touch. I have lots of music that I have ripped over the years and that is why I still use one.

I still use iTunes to add new music to my library from ripped cd (yes I still buy cds) which I then sync to my ipod touch.

I recently subscribed to apple music.

I let iTunes stay open for awhile I guess syncing music or matching music to my icloud library. I have been able to open the music app on my ipod touch and download music offline to listen to successfully.

My question is, once I have ripped something new, how long do I have to wait until it's recognized as part of own library?

Also, if I download something to listen too offline and then purchase it later, does this cause issues at all?

Thanks.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My question is, once I have ripped something new, how long do I have to wait until it's recognized as part of own library?
iTunes checks your library for changes every once in 10 or 15 minutes. ( I don't know for sure though).
When a new song is detected, Apple tries to match that song to their own database. If the song isn't in their database, it gets uploaded to your library.

Also, if I download something to listen too offline and then purchase it later, does this cause issues at all?

Thanks.

If the id3 tag is identical to what Music has in their database the song gets matched and the downloaded file gets replaced by your own ripped song.
In rare cases this doesn't happen for some odd reason and you get a duplicate in your iCloud Music Library. This is nothing to worry about. You can safely delete the Music file and keep your own ripped song. That's what I do.

If the songs you have are 'Matched' to Music's database and are in lower bitrate than the 256 Kbps that Music offers, you can delete your lower bitrate file and download the DRM-free 256Kbps one from Music.

(Disclaimer: Please make sure to make a backup of your own songs before deleting to avoid any issues and music loss.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for this.
So, the act of adding new music to the library does not trigger that act of checking? Is there any indication in iTunes that new music has been detected and then matched/uploaded online?

Are there any issues between turning icloud music on and off on the ipod touch?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this.
So, the act of adding new music to the library does not trigger that act of checking? Is there any indication in iTunes that new music has been detected and then matched/uploaded online?

Are there any issues between turning icloud music on and off on the ipod touch?

If you're asking if you can see when the last check happened, unfortunately there is no such indication.

The act of adding new music to the library does trigger an act of checking but it's unclear to me in which intervals this happens.
I do know that it doesn't take hours.

I haven't experienced any issues so far with turning on and off of iCloud Music Library.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again.
Do you know how to disable icloud in iTunes? I can not find any specific option. This is what the settings look like. I attempted to insert a picture, not sure if the insert worked. This is version 12.6.0.100

I disabled icloud on my ipod touch in an attempt to sync new music I added locally. This didn't work as I was unable to sync the new music I added.

Thank again for your time.

Itunes.jpg

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You already have disable iCloud Music Library. That is disabling iCloud for music in iTunes.
Unless you mean something entirely different?

If you are already subscribed to Music, just enable iCloud Music Library on both your iPod as well as in your iTunes.
Any added songs to iTunes will appear on your iPod.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2