Anyone on AT&T getting 5GE yet?

porier91

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Just looked on my phone and I’m connected to 5GE up top. Normally I’m connected to LTE but I guess they started lighting up the Dallas area. Anyone else getting this? I would post pics but I don’t know how

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone on AT&T getting 5GE yet?

Currently 5GE is still 4G. The E stands for evolution, it will eventually become 5G, but right now it’s still 4G. AT&T is just selling hot terms. That being said, I’m not on AT&T so I’m not seeing it

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I am on AT&T and it showed up last evening; as did my husband. We noticed it around 6:30 last evening.

FYI: There's a similar thread about this same topic. Here's a link.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I'm getting the icon. Whether there's any difference between it an the 4G LTE speeds I have no idea. I'm usually on WiFi at home and work and don't usually bother doing speedtests when I'm not. I was decently impressed at what I got the other night when I tried it though vs what I remember getting in the past.

RTakher209

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site

I’ve had the 5GE pop up on my phone on occasions for the last few days here in Arizona.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

It’s not true 5g yet. They just changed the symbol to call it enhanced, but the speeds are the same. I have had it for a while now

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Anyone on AT&T getting 5GE yet?

Saw it today at my sister’s shop in the W part of Vegas. Funny thing is you can’t get a signal to save your life in that building. Still can’t even though it’s branded differently now.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site

5GE began to show up once upgraded to iOS 12.2 and AT&Ts claim is that the transition to 5G is not a singular moment in time, i.e. you won’t have 4GLTE one day and wake up with 5G. Instead there is an “evolution” where speeds are faster than 4GLTE but not 5G yet. AT&T has chosen to call this 5GE. However, when speeds are compared to VZW, T-Mo, and Sprint they are all about the same.

Sooo...basically all the networks are are running at speeds faster than 4GLTE but only AT&T has chosen to mark those speeds with a change in the logo on the phone.

Perhaps what’s most weird is that none of the devices that currently have 5GE showing are capable of 5G even when released later this year. The iPhone XS and XS Max are not 5G capable, nor is the Samsung Galaxy S10e, S10, or S10+, but the S10 does have a 5G model not released yet. Additionally VZW has the Moto Z3 which will be 5G capable if you buy the mod. It’s silly on both sides. AT&T never should have went the 5GE route and the other companies never should have complained about it. It’s harmless.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I get the fake 5G in certain areas here in St. Louis. I laugh every time I see it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2