Apple repair quote

AJ19920

Sep 7, 2018
Visit site
I have owned my iPhone X since november 2017 (release) and it has now developed a fault. The charger port has completely stopped working and is unable to charge/use headphones. I have been in contact with Apple who have quoted £546.44 for repair . So the best option I could think of was to buy a XS. So I am now the owner of a brand new IPhone XS . I suppose it has worked out well in the end as I have had an upgrade. I have also traded in my broken iPhone X for £380 so overall I am happy

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That DID seem to work out well! Another option for those in that position (NOT IDEAL) is to just use wireless charging and bluetooth headphones.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That seems pretty steep. There is a YouTuber named Louis Rossman who specializes in repairing Apple products.

Here is his site: https://rossmanngroup.com/

You could get an estimate through him and ship the device.

Rossman is THE best Apple products repairman. Rather than just replacing expensive parts until the device works (the Apple way), he actually diagnoses and fixes the problem. It's actually quite interesting to watch him work via his YouTube channel.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Rossman is THE best Apple products repairman. Rather than just replacing expensive parts until the device works (the Apple way), he actually diagnoses and fixes the problem. It's actually quite interesting to watch him work via his YouTube channel.

This is good to know!!!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
"Certified experts using genuine parts".

"Certified experts"....... BAH WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Why do you refer to this as NOT IDEAL?

There are a few disadvantages to this. Charging with the cord is faster for 1. Also its MUCH more difficult to transfer things from the phone to the PC/Mac, or to backup to a computer. And lastly as good as Bluetooth headphones can be, wired ones are better, in particular, when it comes to interference from other signals. Can it work? Sure! But its not ideal. ;)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
There are a few disadvantages to this. Charging with the cord is faster for 1.
True, but I put my device on charge every night before going to bed. If it charges in 2 hours or 5 hours, it's still ready when I wake up.

Also its MUCH more difficult to transfer things from the phone to the PC/Mac, or to backup to a computer.
I have everything backing up to iCloud, so that's not an issue.

And lastly as good as Bluetooth headphones can be, wired ones are better, in particular, when it comes to interference from other signals.
Started using BT earphones back in my early Android days and never had any issues with interference from other signals.

Can it work? Sure! But its not ideal. ;)

This is where we disagree. Wireless charging and BT earphones are IDEAL for me, because that's what I do. Ideal and convenient.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have noticed that charging on my Qi charger is not as fast as it is when using a cable. I usually charge overnight, or here at work where I also have a Qi charger.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
True, but I put my device on charge every night before going to bed. If it charges in 2 hours or 5 hours, it's still ready when I wake up.

I have everything backing up to iCloud, so that's not an issue.

Started using BT earphones back in my early Android days and never had any issues with interference from other signals.

This is where we disagree. Wireless charging and BT earphones are IDEAL for me, because that's what I do. Ideal and convenient.

Truthfully I am 90% wireless myself. BUT still with a broken port on your phone, you have a broken phone, this greatly effects value. So like I said it CAN work, BUT it's not ideal. ;)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have owned my iPhone X since november 2017 (release) and it has now developed a fault. The charger port has completely stopped working and is unable to charge/use headphones.

Glad everything worked out, but I'm curious. I know the lightning ports are supposed to be good for some huge enormous number of uses with lightning cable, but how many times per day were you connecting / disconnecting a cable? There might not be any "fault" at all. It may be that the port has been wore out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree with @pkcable. I know that wherever I go, I am far, far more likely to find a wired charger to use/borrow than a Qi charger. Every iPhone user I know has at least one to borrow. I can connect to somebody's car system to gain a little charge even (Qi in cars is very, very hard to find.) Qi charging external battery packs are very few and far between; many people who carry an external battery pack have one that can take a cable only. Qi charging is also less efficient than wired lightning, generates more heat, and is more likely to lead to a faster reduction in battery health over time. As I keep my phones for at least 30 months, this is kind of important to me. I know that my car system sounds a lot better when it is connected by a lightning cable than by Bluetooth - the sound fidelity is noticeably better. Finally, if something happened to the phone and it needed DFU/Recovery mode in order to be restored, a phone without a working lightning port cannot be saved until the port is repaired/replaced.

I agree about BT headphones - I've been using those since before the headphone jack was removed from iPhones.

Having Qi charging as a backup in case the lightning port fails is better than the pre-2018 days for iPhone users, as at least you can still find a way to charge. But it is definitely not ideal for the vast, vast majority of users.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2