iPhone X Purchased on AT&T Next from BestBuy; Use Verzion SIM to Activate

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface by saying I almost always purchase my iphones directly from Apple, most at full retail, some occasionally by financing with AT&T. I also just very recently opened a Verizon account so i now have both carriers.

I know that BestBuy only uses the global model for iPhone when it comes to carrier sales, this time being the A1865 for the iphone 10 which means its compatible with both CDMA and GSM carriers. And I know by law, Verizon does not sell locked phones even if financed.

My question is, today I purchased an iPhone X using AT&T Next with BestBuy. I know once I put my sim in, it will lock it to AT&T regardless of whether its financed based on the fact that iPhones sold through BestBuy will lock to the carrier of the first sim card that is inserted (with the exception of Verizon), so if I take out the AT&T sim and insert my Verizon sim before even turning the phone on, and then turn the phone on to go thru the standard Apple set up screens, do you think that the Verizon sim will keep the phone unlocked at that point and I would then be free to use whatever SIM going forward?

Or do you think the phone will not allow the Verizon sim to be activated since I technically purchased it on AT&T's Next Plan and force me to use the AT&T first? It has been confirmed that when you pay full retail for it at BestBuy, the way to get around the carrier lock is to first insert a Verizon sim (if you have one) which permanently unlocks it, then you are free to use whatever SIM after that. BestBuy was not sure what happens with a phone purchased on financing with AT&T.

I am just curious to see what other thinks before I attempt anything. Like I mentioned, I usually buy at full retail from Apple so that way its unlocked by default.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Uhhh. I’d put the Verizon sim in first and then ATT. Not sure what will happen since it’s not an outright purchase.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Put the Verizon sim in and let it fully activate. It will remain unlocked after that point.

Yes, this is what I am thinking will happen. I actually just activated it with my verizon sim and am able to make calls, access the web, etc... So it looks like at least if you buy from BestBuy using AT&T Next financing, if you put a Verizon sim in first before anything else, at least Verizon works just fine.

I know this will sound silly, but kind of hesitating to put the AT&T sim in just because I truly dont know what will happen lol, even though I am mostly confident that using the Verizon sim has now permanently unlocked it.

I will update this thread tomorrow with what happens as I will try the AT&T sim tomorrow when I get to the office.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is what I am thinking will happen. I actually just activated it with my verizon sim and am able to make calls, access the web, etc... So it looks like at least if you buy from BestBuy using AT&T Next financing, if you put a Verizon sim in first before anything else, at least Verizon works just fine.

I know this will sound silly, but kind of hesitating to put the AT&T sim in just because I truly dont know what will happen lol, even though I am mostly confident that using the Verizon sim has now permanently unlocked it.

I will update this thread tomorrow with what happens as I will try the AT&T sim tomorrow when I get to the office.

I think is should be fine.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Just a note for future reference. This part is inaccurate.

Verizon does not lock their LTE device as part of their AGREEMENT with the FCC regarding their license for a specific spectrum. It's not "by law".

Yes, sorry I should be a bit more clear on that. My apologies. I knew that, but the way it came out when I type it was not correct as you mentioned.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
So this morning I put the AT&T sim in, made a few calls, etc.. and then put the Verizon sim back in and then a tmobile one from a coworker just for added measure, and I can confirm, at least for my case, that even though I financed the phone with AT&T Next, by first activating it with a Verizon sim, this seems to have permanently unlocked it, thus saving me about $100 cash to unlock it, which I usually for the few times I go with financing with AT&T.

I know last year I discovered BestBuy's FLEX policy with the iPhone 7 when I purchased one at full retail and when I picked up the phone at BestBuy, the rep at the In-Store Pick Up counter mentioned to me that the phone would lock to the carrier of the first sim inserted, which in my case was AT&T. Having never purchased an iPhone from BestBuy and always buying direct from Apple, I genuinely thought the rep was giving me incorrect info and disregarded it. Later when I put my AT&T sim in, then tried Tmobile, it was definitely locked to AT&T. I immediately submitted the unlock request from AT&T and moments later got the approval for the unlock.

Needless to say, I am happy with the results of my purchase this time. I only went this route since I had an upgrade available on my AT&T account but wanted the A1865 model so I would have full CDMA/GSM compatibility, and I knew BestBuy would be the way for me to get it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So this morning I put the AT&T sim in, made a few calls, etc.. and then put the Verizon sim back in and then a tmobile one from a coworker just for added measure, and I can confirm, at least for my case, that even though I financed the phone with AT&T Next, by first activating it with a Verizon sim, this seems to have permanently unlocked it, thus saving me about $100 cash to unlock it, which I usually for the few times I go with financing with AT&T.

I know last year I discovered BestBuy's FLEX policy with the iPhone 7 when I purchased one at full retail and when I picked up the phone at BestBuy, the rep at the In-Store Pick Up counter mentioned to me that the phone would lock to the carrier of the first sim inserted, which in my case was AT&T. Having never purchased an iPhone from BestBuy and always buying direct from Apple, I genuinely thought the rep was giving me incorrect info and disregarded it. Later when I put my AT&T sim in, then tried Tmobile, it was definitely locked to AT&T. I immediately submitted the unlock request from AT&T and moments later got the approval for the unlock.

Needless to say, I am happy with the results of my purchase this time. I only went this route since I had an upgrade available on my AT&T account but wanted the A1865 model so I would have full CDMA/GSM compatibility, and I knew BestBuy would be the way for me to get it.

I love this because I love putting the screws to the carriers.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I’m surprised they the rep at Best Buy didn’t insert the SIM to lock it in themselves. Either way, this is pretty freaking awesome!! Nice work and thanks for the heads up

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m surprised they the rep at Best Buy didn’t insert the SIM to lock it in themselves. Either way, this is pretty freaking awesome!! Nice work and thanks for the heads up

I have a rule. I never let anyone by ME open or touch my phones. And I have had to quickly stop a few reps from doing just that. i don't trust anyone to handle my phones lol. I have seen reps at carrier stores and other places over the past few years hamfist other people's phones without a care since it is not their phone. No way are they doing that to me. Saw a BestBuy rep one time drop a customer's phone, and the look of horror on that customer's face was chilling. It was an accident nonetheless, but still.