AirPods Pro deal at Amazon: Save $52 for a limited time!

I regularly experience the following scenario:
    - View morning forecast.
    - Force quit BeWeather, because it uses a lot of memory.
    - Try to view forecast and conditions in the evening, but doesn't update.
    - Swipe to other nearby location; updates fine.
    - Swipe back to default/current location; no update.
    - Force quit.
    - Reopen and current location updates.

It seems like there's some inhibition to updating the current location. Maybe some flag wrongly indicates that the data is current. It seems to me that the first action on opening the app should be updating the current location. Note that this doesn't happen all the time, just often enough to be annoying.
    I don't have these issues. When you say "memory", do you refer to RAM or storage space?
    I've never experienced these issues either. May I ask which Apple device and iOS your currently using?
    02-28-2021 08:31 AM
    OHHHHHHH THIS IS EXCITING!!!! Thank you
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-28-2021 10:08 AM
    When will we see the update for the widgets available on the Home Screen?
    @pfluger ;
    Last edited by ThePinkChameleon; 02-28-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-28-2021 10:11 AM
    OHHHHHHH THIS IS EXCITING!!!! Thank you [IMG=500x500]https://media2.giphy.com/media/MVDPX3gaKFPuo/giphy.gif[/url]
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    02-28-2021 10:14 AM
    When will we see the update for the widgets available on the Home Screen?
    @pfluger ;
    LOL , I keep checking for updates knowing updates are rare on Sundays
    02-28-2021 12:34 PM
    LOL , I keep checking for updates knowing updates are rare on Sundays
    LMAO....ok so I’m not the only here lol. You’re in that same boat
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-28-2021 12:44 PM
    LMAO....ok so I’m not the only here lol. You’re in that same boat
    02-28-2021 02:06 PM
    Oh YEAH!!!

Homescreen widgets have arrived
    Thanks Pfluger
    03-01-2021 03:38 PM
    Homescreen widgets look nice!
    03-01-2021 04:04 PM
    Now this makes me REALLY HAPPY thank you @pfluger ;

Spencerdl and Ledsteplin like this.
    03-01-2021 04:28 PM
    I don't have these issues. When you say "memory", do you refer to RAM or storage space?
    I mean RAM. i've seen it using as much as 15000 pages, or 234 MB, via jetsam logs. The iPad 6 only has 2 GB RAM, so I cannot afford giving 10% memory to an intermittent app. What I described is infrequent, but often enough to be annoying. It may be due to a race condition between different threads.
    03-01-2021 07:14 PM
    I've never experienced these issues either. May I ask which Apple device and iOS your currently using?
    iPad6, iPadOS 14.4. Pretty normal, reasonably current.
    03-01-2021 07:17 PM
    I mean RAM. i've seen it using as much as 15000 pages, or 234 MB, via jetsam logs. The iPad 6 only has 2 GB RAM, so I cannot afford giving 10% memory to an intermittent app. What I described is infrequent, but often enough to be annoying. It may be due to a race condition between different threads.
    iOS manages RAM very well. That's not anything to be concerned about. You won't run out of RAM memory, regardless of which apps you use. I have 257 apps on my screen. Pretty sure many use RAM. Pretty sure a weather app, BeWeather 3 included, is not gonna hurt.
    03-01-2021 08:56 PM
    iOS manages RAM very well. That's not anything to be concerned about. You won't run out of RAM memory, regardless of which apps you use. I have 257 apps on my screen. Pretty sure many use RAM. Pretty sure a weather app, BeWeather 3 included, is not gonna hurt.
    Yes. iOS manages RAM using a process called "jetsam". When a process needs memory, jetsam will ask processes to compress or release memory. Failing that, it will kill a process. If a process hogs a lot of memory, you may see several jetsam logs in a few seconds, as it struggles to free up memory. I use music instrument apps that need a lot of memory, so I prefer to force-quit known memory hogs, especially browsers, regularly. (The high page sizes I've seen for BeWeather3 were logged by jetsam when it was the largest process.)

And by the way, the 257 apps on your Home screen use zero RAM. The processes visible in the Task Switcher are the ones currently using memory, along with some widgets and other items that are harder to see.

This article, https://medium.com/flawless-app-stor...s-a0f6bef38217 gives a good review of iOS memory management.
    Last edited by happySun; 03-02-2021 at 06:26 AM.
    03-02-2021 04:56 AM
    Yes. iOS manages RAM using a process called "jetsam". When a process needs memory, jetsam will ask processes to compress or release memory. Failing that, it will kill a process. If a process hogs a lot of memory, you may see several jetsam logs in a few seconds, as it struggles to free up memory. I use music instrument apps that need a lot of memory, so I prefer to force-quit known memory hogs, especially browsers, regularly. (The high page sizes I've seen for BeWeather3 were logged by jetsam when it was the largest process.)

And by the way, the 257 apps on your Home screen use zero RAM. The processes visible in the Task Switcher are the ones currently using memory, along with some widgets and other items that are harder to see.

This article, https://medium.com/flawless-app-stor...s-a0f6bef38217 gives a good review of iOS memory management.
    Most apps in the app switcher do nothing but sit there. My point is, using BeWeather 3 is not going to hurt anything. I use several weather apps, along with widgets and other stuff that use RAM. All is well. Everything works as it should.
    03-02-2021 07:18 AM

Quick ?, Does anyone know how often the actual widget on the home screen refreshes to show current temp etc? Yesterday I had to actually open up BW to have to home screen widget refresh to show current temps.

(side note: I’m on the beta)
    03-02-2021 09:21 AM
    [IMG=474x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210302/c8d6b1102a4c46f57edf2c3cdaa4726c.jpg[/url]
    Quick ?, Does anyone know how often the actual widget on the home screen refreshes to show current temp etc? Yesterday I had to actually open up BW to have to home screen widget refresh to show current temps.

My BeWeather 3 widget shows 46°. In the app, it shows 44° for same "Home" location name. But 48° for city name. Home and city should be the same temp. 48° is probably more correct. Other weather apps vary with temp and promptness of temp updates. If in doubt, I walk out on my balcony and see what it feels like.

Wait...now all the local locations in the app, as well as the widget say 49°.
    Last edited by Ledsteplin; 03-02-2021 at 11:53 AM.
    03-02-2021 11:43 AM
    [IMG=474x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210302/c8d6b1102a4c46f57edf2c3cdaa4726c.jpg[/url]

And I just had the opposite experience (non-beta). Opened the app, which failed to update. Home button, swipe to view widget, which updated. Back to app, which updated. As I've said before, there's a long-standing problem with updating the data for the current location. It may only occur when the location never changes. This iPad never leaves home.
    03-02-2021 12:59 PM
    And I just had the opposite experience (non-beta). Opened the app, which failed to update. Home button, swipe to view widget, which updated. Back to app, which updated. As I've said before, there's a long-standing problem with updating the data for the current location. It may only occur when the location never changes. This iPad never leaves home.
    Pretty much true of most weather apps. eWeather HD is very slow to update for me.
    03-02-2021 01:59 PM
    My BeWeather 3 widget shows 46°. In the app, it shows 44° for same "Home" location name. But 48° for city name. Home and city should be the same temp. 48° is probably more correct. Other weather apps vary with temp and promptness of temp updates. If in doubt, I walk out on my balcony and see what it feels like.

Wait...now all the local locations in the app, as well as the widget say 49°.
    ok thx Keith!
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    03-02-2021 02:12 PM
    Sometimes it takes a moment for my app to update as well.
    03-02-2021 02:14 PM
    Sometimes it takes a moment for my app to update as well.
    When mine does not update, it does not update, not after a moment, 5 minutes, an hour. Some trick is required to kick it into life. Force-quit and immediate open seems to work, and now, accessing the widget. It always updates other locations immediately on viewing them, but not the current location. I'm just hoping to make the dev aware of this glitchy problem.
    03-02-2021 04:07 PM

Nope, however I have noticed that several different types of widgets that are not Apple widgets need refreshing from time to time. Hopefully the next update will correct this issue. I suspect the widgets in general are a work in progress and will continue to improve over time.
    03-03-2021 02:40 AM
    Nope, however I have noticed that several different types of widgets that are not Apple widgets need refreshing from time to time. Hopefully the next update will correct this issue. I suspect the widgets in general are a work in progress and will continue to improve over time.
    I have noticed that as well with the battery widget I use. I tried to just keep an eye on BW widget yesterday and it seemed about every hour it would change but then sometimes it would stall.

As you’ve stated hopefully in future iOS updates, app updates or both, this will improve!

Once again though I can’t express how thrilled I am to have a bw widget on my home screen!!! Isn’t it funny how the simplest things make us happy lol
    Spencerdl and dmoskaluk like this.
    03-03-2021 07:45 AM
    I have noticed that as well with the battery widget I use. I tried to just keep an eye on BW widget yesterday and it seemed about every hour it would change but then sometimes it would stall.

As you’ve stated hopefully in future iOS updates, app updates or both, this will improve!

Once again though I can’t express how thrilled I am to have a bw widget on my home screen!!! Isn’t it funny how the simplest things make us happy lol
    Like me and my stopping & jumping clock widgets. Finally found one that works.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-03-2021 08:19 AM
1,009 ... 3738394041