Tweetbot for iPhone experts - please help.

Danny_G13

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, first time poster - go easy ;)

I have a number of questions about Tweetbot for iPhone.

In short terms I switched to it because I loathe the official Twitter app's refusal to have a filter or decent block option. You can block users but they still appear if tagged in a group conversation and now and again their tweets to you get into your mentions. And you cannot filter out at all content you don't want which I find ludicrous. Tweetbot is much better for this but it comes at a price and I have a few questions/observations to pick your brains' over.

1: Why are the notifications app-based and not native? If you try to turn off Tweetbot banners in iPhone's native settings it has no effect - because the notifications aren't the usual banners or alerts - they're in-app and unaffected by the iPhone settings options. This wouldn't be a problem but for....

2: Why are alerts/banners and badge notifications linked? You can either have both or neither. Can't have one or the other. Certainly can't have only badge anyway. At least the badge icon tells you how many mentions etc you have unlike the official app but to be told of this the app's own notifications have to be on - which forces the banners/alerts. Which I don't want on, btw. Just the badge.

3: Is there no user gallery option at all? I do like the thumbnail image previews in tweets but unlike the official app there appears to be no user image gallery at all.

4: Why does the index view in direct messages refuse to tell who sent the last message in a particular conversation? It's easily distinguished INSIDE the conversation but from the DM index there is no indicator at all.

5: Is there any way to flip tweet conversation history so that instead of the most recent message being at the top, it's at the bottom instead?

There's possibly a few more queries but that's the lot off the top of my head. I do like Tweetbot - it's the best of a bad bunch outwith the official one, but I'd stick with the official one if only the block/filter option was better/existed at all.

Appreciate any help.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I use Tweetbot and I do not really have an answer for all of this. A lot of it seems more like feature requests, which I would send to Tapbots. They're very good about listening to their customers. They may also be able to tell you if there is some way to change the DM order, or the banners, etc.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Laelipoo... and like her, I use Tweetbot and have no answers for these questions. Contact the folks at Tapbots and see what they suggest.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have banners and badges on my iPad, but only badges on my iPhone. Or is it only banners on my iPhone? Banners. (Pardon me while I talk to myself.) You might try a restart of your phone to get your notification settings restarted for Tweetbot.

I'm not understanding your question about the DM index. When I go to the DM tab, I see avatars of everyone who's DM'd me.

Danny_G13

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I use Tweetbot and I do not really have an answer for all of this. A lot of it seems more like feature requests, which I would send to Tapbots. They're very good about listening to their customers. They may also be able to tell you if there is some way to change the DM order, or the banners, etc.

I did tweet the official account about the badge issue and they said they'd consider it in a new feature set. So, potentially, 1 down 4 to go!

Danny_G13

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I have banners and badges on my iPad, but only badges on my iPhone. Or is it only banners on my iPhone? Banners. (Pardon me while I talk to myself.) You might try a restart of your phone to get your notification settings restarted for Tweetbot.

No, the problem is the notifications aren't native iOS - they're built within the app themselves. When they're native banners they're RIGHT at the top of the entire screen - even above the app itself. In Tweetbot they're about a third down and using the app's own skin.

I'm not understanding your question about the DM index. When I go to the DM tab, I see avatars of everyone who's DM'd me.

Yes, but no indicator of who sent the last message. Is it one I received, or did I send a message which hasn't been replied to. Most Twitter/message clients have an arrow or some other prompt indicating incoming or outgoing message.

To make it clearer, you hit the DM button. You then see the list of avatars that you're in conversation with and the preview text of the most recent message in that conversation. But it doesn't indicate if you sent it, or if it's from the person you're talking to.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, first time poster - go easy ;)

I have a number of questions about Tweetbot for iPhone.

In short terms I switched to it because I loathe the official Twitter app's refusal to have a filter or decent block option. You can block users but they still appear if tagged in a group conversation and now and again their tweets to you get into your mentions. And you cannot filter out at all content you don't want which I find ludicrous. Tweetbot is much better for this but it comes at a price and I have a few questions/observations to pick your brains' over.

1: Why are the notifications app-based and not native? If you try to turn off Tweetbot banners in iPhone's native settings it has no effect - because the notifications aren't the usual banners or alerts - they're in-app and unaffected by the iPhone settings options. This wouldn't be a problem but for....

2: Why are alerts/banners and badge notifications linked? You can either have both or neither. Can't have one or the other. Certainly can't have only badge anyway. At least the badge icon tells you how many mentions etc you have unlike the official app but to be told of this the app's own notifications have to be on - which forces the banners/alerts. Which I don't want on, btw. Just the badge.

3: Is there no user gallery option at all? I do like the thumbnail image previews in tweets but unlike the official app there appears to be no user image gallery at all.

4: Why does the index view in direct messages refuse to tell who sent the last message in a particular conversation? It's easily distinguished INSIDE the conversation but from the DM index there is no indicator at all.

5: Is there any way to flip tweet conversation history so that instead of the most recent message being at the top, it's at the bottom instead?

There's possibly a few more queries but that's the lot off the top of my head. I do like Tweetbot - it's the best of a bad bunch outwith the official one, but I'd stick with the official one if only the block/filter option was better/existed at all.

Appreciate any help.

Have you tried emailing Tapbots via their support page? The link is below and would probably be your best option.

Contact Tapbots

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2