Flow Messenger - Woot!

nard@nard.ca

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Heya all,

Flow Messenger finally got approved on Friday, and If you guys are still considering an iPhone to iPhone push instant messenger, please consider Flow Messenger which is FREE!

It has some amazing features such as Group Chat, Contact List Management, Read Message Receipts, Custom Usernames/Statuses, emoji support/can chat in any language, and a UI that is uniquely different than all the messengers out there.

I'm the developer of Flow Messenger, and I just wanted to share the app with the community here. If someone can post a link, it would be cool, since this is my first post.

itunes: search for Flow Messenger

I hope to hang around here, and chat with everyone here more, as I've only really been around macrumors so far(surprisingly).

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I will be glad to check it out but like Alli said, needs to be up to par with WhatsApp. I will let you know what I think. Good Luck!

nard@nard.ca

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
well, I maybe abit bias since i'm the developer:) I wanted to create an app that would do one thing well which was to chat with people using push notification, so alot of my features reflect what I wanted in a chat app.

I feel that it's really stable, messages get sent quickly, and features like Group Conversations and Read Message Receipts really make it shine compared to Whats App. Theres also the fact where you can just begin using the app, and not have to enter a key that you get through SMS. Contact management wise, I would say that it offers abit more privacy as you can choose who you accept and not accept as a contact, and you can block them later if they are your contact.

anyways, let me know how it goes, and if anything feel free to contact me at support @ flowmessenger.com, and I'll work with you one on one.

-Vincent Young

BLu

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Checking this out too, and I like it!
Couple of things of note though:
-Sent/Read status is great, but there's no way to tell if the other person's typing (unless I'm being blind?)
-The 'tell a friend' link from the Profile section within the app auto-generates an email just fine,includes PIN etc, but doesn't contain a link to the app or even the full name for them to search with.

Very speedy push though,seems to work quite well

nard@nard.ca

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Heya Blu,

It's abit unfortunate in my email for tell a friend doesnt include a link to download the app. Its my first app that I created and I didnt know if I would know ahead of time where the itunes url is. but in hindsight, I should have just added the website for flow messenger.

Flow Messenger doesnt have typing notification unfortunately, but I hope it's not a deal breaker for you. Hopefully the other features outweigh these 2 drawbacks.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I must be an idiot. (would not be the first time!):p I got it installed no problem. I can not add a contact. A friend downloaded it also and can not add a contact either. We both received the Invite via email, but when we added each others PIN# nothing happened. We even exchanged PIN via email and when we tried to add the PIN nothing would happen.:confused: Therefore we can not even start a chat.

Any ideas?

nard@nard.ca

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
After you add each other's pin,

you should get a badge on your contacts tab on the bottom. click it, then click the requests tab at the top to bring up current requests. click on the contact and click accept.

If you are still having problems, email me at support @ flowmessenger.com with your pins, and I'll take a look at what's going on.

nard@nard.ca

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Glad everything has worked out for you.

Upcoming features that are currently being implemented are:
  1. Landscape keyboard
  2. Profile Picture
  3. revamped user profile page
  4. Status page to let you get a better idea of server capacity and status and connectivity
  5. A few bug fixes here and there

These items are coming out now, mainly because I wanted to focus on the core functionality of the app for V1.0.0, and make sure it was rock solid and would provide a good user experience for sending messages. so after making sure things are working well, and that people dont have alot of problems with the app, Im confident I can roll out the next set of features with the same amount of attention to detail.

so yea, from the feedback I'm getting, alot of people are interested in landscape keyboard and profile pictures. It's not a deal breaker for most, but it's definitely nice features to have.

User profile page was the last view that I worked on, and I'm not very happy with the way the UI turned out, so It's being redone now into something more user friendly and slick

I'm also going to create a page in My Profile that will allow the user to check out the server status, send a test push notification to make sure it's working, and also get any news from the server about upcoming maintenance.

and lastly bug fixes here and there that people have reported to me.

so steadily, everything is being worked on, and hopefully I can continue to deliver a quality app.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I find that apps that make you get a pin number are kind of annoying. The idea of texting is to be able use your existing contacts' information, ie phone number. Having to email a potential contact for a texting session with your pin number so you can add them to your potential texting session on your new texting app is a few steps too many.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
I find that apps that make you get a pin number are kind of annoying. The idea of texting is to be able use your existing contacts' information, ie phone number. Having to email a potential contact for a texting session with your pin number so you can add them to your potential texting session on your new texting app is a few steps too many.

i tend to agree. that's what i prefer about WhatsApp...no registered ID required. and my biggest pet peave with BB Messenger was the PIN setup. was just too complicated to setup. after a while of trying to talk through my friends, we just gave up and resorted to email. hopefully Flow Messenger won't be as complicated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2