WhatsApp or Ping!?!?!?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder if Ping! was rushed for release. Considering all of a sudden Google Sync released sync and other developers released countless PUSH apps for GMail...

Anyway, hopefully the developer will amend issues quickly.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm liking whatsapp better for now. Too many bugs on Ping for me. I'll give it another shot when it's worked on. I'll be using whatsapp. Feel free to pm if you use it. Yes you have to share your number. It doesn't bother me. It's not my social security number. :D

Vic_C

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
I am just curious as to the advantage over SMS? Now if you are on a limited SMS plan I can see how this could be useful but if you have the unlimited SMS plan what does this app give you over regular old SMS? Just want to know if it is worth it or not....

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...very good point!

I am just curious as to the advantage over SMS? Now if you are on a limited SMS plan I can see how this could be useful but if you have the unlimited SMS plan what does this app give you over regular old SMS? Just want to know if it is worth it or not....

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Well take me for example. I have 1500 texts/month plan. Yeah decent amount right? Often between work and family and the fiance, i can creep up to the limit, and frankly I dont want to pay anything due to overage on anything. So, now with apps like these, I can text my family, my girl and coworkers who have iPhones for free. Thus saving me from possibly reaching my limit and going over. It essentially means now I have unlimited texts to the people I talk to most, and now can freely text coworkers when theyre on sales calls and stuff....without worrying what my limit is. Because I'll have an entire set where the messages are free and unlimited(because well all have iPhones). So thats why apps like this are great for me.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com

like touchyphone just said...i guess 1 point to consider is that not everyone else has an unlimited SMS plan. Ping & WhatsApp are nice alternatives. take me for example. i have the minimum with AT&T (like 200 SMS/month) and i went way over last month. i've started experimenting by using BeeJive and now Ping to chat/send SMS's through AIM. my actual SMS messages being sent through AT&T's dataplan have been cut back significantly. if this continues to work for me, i won't have to consider increasing my SMS plan.

and so far, i haven't noticed any of the reported issues using Ping. <knock on wood> it's been pretty reliable for me thus far. and you can't beat free!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
like touchyphone just said...i guess 1 point to consider is that not everyone else has an unlimited SMS plan. Ping & WhatsApp are nice alternatives. take me for example. i have the minimum with AT&T (like 200 SMS/month)

I am in that boat and several of my friends now have iPhones so why pay AT&T more when I can do the same thing for free. I mean IM is great but many of my friends only text.

Vic_C

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for answering my question! Like I said I see where this would be advantageous to those with a limited plan. We have the unlimited due to Myself, the Wife and the pre-teen Daughter texting everyone and their brother. Mine is mostly due to work related, The Wife and the soon to be Teenage(GOD HELP ME!!!)Daughter.....well.... But thank you all for the info!!! I really due appreciate it!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
We have the unlimited due to Myself, the Wife and the pre-teen Daughter texting everyone and their brother. Mine is mostly due to work related, The Wife and the soon to be Teenage(GOD HELP ME!!!)Daughter

I am already ahead of you.:rolleyes: I have three teenagers. Twins at 15 and a 13 year old. The kids and my wife are on a family plan with Unlimited texting. (I am separate from them because of work). They share 700 mins/month. They never go over their minutes. Last month my 13 yr old only put 1 min of talk time on his phone. 1 minute! He put 7000 text messages just on his phone!:eek: That does not include my wife or the other two teenagers. Yes, if you have teenagers you MUST have Unlimited Text!;)

Vic_C

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
I feel for you....Luckily my oldest is on his own in the Military...boys are so much easier to raise than girls!!! Don't get me wrong I love my little "Princess" to death but HOLY S&*#!!! they are evil.....pure evil......

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I love my little "Princess" to death but HOLY S&*#!!! they are evil.....pure evil......

:D:D One of the twins is a girl. She is not exactly evil and most days she is a sweet as sugar....BUT .....there are days that I say "Holy Crap!! Why are acting like your mother!":p:D:D

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else but I think one of the great things about modern social media is just being able to chat it up with people you would otherwise never encounter. Ping, while buggy and still very green, is an awesome way to do this without having to give out your personal phone number right away. I think it's awesome and can't wait for the updates!
And to all of you who are now my Ping buddies- thanks for the "pingies" lmao

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2