Navigon not getting Sat Signal after TTS Update

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I really like Navigon, but I haven't been able to get sat signal if I don't have my 3Gs up in the windshield. This is since the update that provides TTS. I've been in several vehicles and it's been the same. Before the update, I could get sat signal without issue with it sitting on my console.

Anyone else experience this?

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
I've always had signal acquisition issues with Navigon. But from what I'm seeing with other reviews of other GPS apps it seems this is a general problem.

I don't understand, when I use the built in map app, I have no problem getting a gps lock even inside my house. Within seconds. Navigon just will not lock.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I've always had signal acquisition issues with Navigon. But from what I'm seeing with other reviews of other GPS apps it seems this is a general problem.

I don't understand, when I use the built in map app, I have no problem getting a gps lock even inside my house. Within seconds. Navigon just will not lock.

Like you say, I can get gps lock with built in Maps right in the middle of my house. But, can't get a lock with Navigon. It's like Navigon is not using aGPS which would help get a lock when not in "direct" sat vision.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
It's just weird, the built in map can track me down to the room I'm in within seconds.

As it is, by the time Navigon gets a gps lock, I've usually figured out how to get where I need to go on my own.

It's so bad I've found myself falling back and relying on the built in app due to speed of gps lock.

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I really like Navigon, but I haven't been able to get sat signal if I don't have my 3Gs up in the windshield. This is since the update that provides TTS. I've been in several vehicles and it's been the same. Before the update, I could get sat signal without issue with it sitting on my console.

Anyone else experience this?

I installed the Navigon app Version 1.2 which included the TTS feature on my 32M 3GS 5 days ago. So far it seems that I have to acquire the gps signal lock before I get into the car, or at least I have to leave the phone near the windshield until I get actual directions, not the simulation. Once the gps signal lock occurs, usually in a minute or so, then the iPhoneSuit clear plastic cased iPhone maintains gps lock even while sitting on the passanger seat of my '91 Honda. The only way I know of to force the gps signal lock is to keep pressing the "Take me home" button, and canceling the navagation if I get the "simulation". Once I get signal lock, however, I have never lost the "lock" even after going thru tunnels or where ever. I attribute this to the large window area of my car, and perhaps the speed and processing power of the 3gs. My two older PocketPC GPS devices would never receive a gps signal on the seat of my car unless I had an external antenna in the window. YMMV:)

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Navagon TTS quick note

This should be a private reply to "Mike" but I cannot use PM so far since I am new around here.

I'm happy to talk about my experience with Navagon. It is excellent so far, but still has vast room for improvement.

The worst fault, imho, is the lack of a savable route, and the lack of the ability to save a screenshot of the route before you even start driving. At least with my prior gps device I could step through the route one step at a time to be sure it was going where I wanted to go before I left. I feel sure that this feature will be in the next version, along with a button to acquire and lock signal.

The TTS is very good but it is not verbose enough for me. I will write a note to customer service asking for a switch choice of silent screen only navigation, average, or verbose. I would also like to be able to step thru the route simply by tapping the screen or whatever method works well.

The TTS does a good, not great job with street names, but there is lots of room for improvement.

I say again that I remain astonished that I use no holder for my 3gs. The iPhone simply sits in the seat and has yet to lose a signal, let alone advise me incorrectly when and on what road to make a turn.

I have never spent more than 2 minutes acquiring a gps lock. My older PocketPC with an external attached antenna could take 3 or 4 minutes to lock a signal. I also use the iPhoneSuit case, which is also excellent.

I suspect, subject to further investigation, that the 32 GB 3gs has such a fast processor, graphic chip, and main memory that all the computation is very quick. I believe it also uses cell tower triangulation to maintain relative position. It seems to work very well for me so far.

Additionally, I play iPod playlists and podcasts constantly as I drive. I frequently change the song or jump from one podcast to another and the machine and programs have never locked up or even missed a beat or a verbal direction. This is astonishing multi-tasking in a simple iPhone as far as I can tell. This feature only works with the iPod app, not non-Apple made apps, but the iPod app is excellent because you can turn the entire iPhone off, via the top switch, and the music continues to play and you get the controls back with a double center button click. Navagon does not turn the screen off, but this does not bother me because I have a 200 W inverter under the front seat which runs on the cig lighter socked. I then simply plug the Apple charge cord into the A/C outlet, and the iPhone thinks it is charging from a normal 110 V house current.

The 3gs will run about one hour or more doing full navigation and full music on a full charge.

Feel free to ask anything else that interests you about this topic. I haven't driven anywhere in the ten days or so that I have had the software when I have not used it. I look forward to the traffic live update for $20, but for most of my driving I have no choice about what freeway I use.

Ticman

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Jeff thanks for the reply. LOL I kept looking for a reply to my PM and then did a search on "navigon" and found the post again.

Great information.

I agree the ability to not be able to save a Route is a bummer--or to tab through to see future turns etc. Guess you could use the maps on iPhone before plugging in address in gps. But that seems redundant.

Glad to hear it works well sitting on the seat. I am hoping that navigon will be compatible with the tom tom dock that comes out in Oct. I like the looks of it and the enhanced gps signal should be helpful. I too am looking forward to traffic update. Never had that feature on my Garmin Nuvi or my garmin gps on BB storm.

Mike

iamunderdawg

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I purchased Navagon last week and installed on my 3GS. Out trip to Ocean City MD from WV was flawless and even warned me when my speed ventured over the posted speed limit. This is my first GPS device /application but overall happy.:)

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I purchased Navagon last week and installed on my 3GS. Out trip to Ocean City MD from WV was flawless and even warned me when my speed ventured over the posted speed limit. This is my first GPS device /application but overall happy.:)

Where did you have your iPhone; dash, seat, console?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2