I wish I could provide a Touch for all my students. There are lots of great flashcard apps. And in many cases, as with the textbook I teach from, you can put the entire text and all ancillary materials on the device.

It would be nice to offer them, and allow any student receiving an A or B to keep them.
    That would be awesome! I home schooled my three children and one foster daughter - I used the devices and software curriculum so that their laptops and touches had all of their materials. It was fabulous! They were able to learn without even realizing how much they were actually taking in! Using all of their sensory input and the rich audio/ video was so helpful and my daughter is dyslexic and it was actually better for her! There is so much potential here for more than just games.
    05-31-2010 12:02 PM
    That would be awesome! I home schooled my three children and one foster daughter - I used the devices and software curriculum so that their laptops and touches had all of their materials. It was fabulous! They were able to learn without even realizing how much they were actually taking in! Using all of their sensory input and the rich audio/ video was so helpful and my daughter is dyslexic and it was actually better for her! There is so much potential here for more than just games.
    I watched four pre-schoolers yesterday doing what can best be described as "drill," loving every minute of it. They seemed to stay well within their comfort zone. However, based upon what their zone includes, they have clearly been pushing it in the past
    05-31-2010 02:38 PM
    Good idea, but as people said, restricted functions
    06-01-2010 05:53 PM
    Good idea, but as people said, restricted functions
    I find your comment ambiguous.

There are some who complain that the Touch is too powerful to put into the hands of a child. Some are afraid that they might stumble upon sexual content. To those I quote the sex education pioneer, Dr. Mary Calderone, who said, "You cannot tell children too much about sex; if you try, they will tune you out." Some are afraid that children will use the Internet to satisfy their natural curiosity. To them I say, "Chill! They are only doing what you did."

There are a few who argue that too much of the generality and flexibility of the underlying computer in the touch is hidden and "restricted." They want the Touch to look much more like a Mac or a PC. I tell them a story. Sixty years ago, when I first began to work in computers, it took a team of highly knowledgeable and skilled people to get a computer to do anything useful. Today a computer can be used by individuals who cannot even read and write, for, among other things, learning to read and write. One such computer is the Touch, which is as easy to use as it is, in part, because much of its functionality is hidden under thousands of purpose-built applications. I want children to use computers to learn reading, writing, mathematics, literature, science, and history. They can learn computers when they have some of the rest of this under their belts.

Which way did you want your comment to be interpreted?
    06-01-2010 10:29 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD