One iPhone or iPod Touch per Child

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Christmas

Well, it looks like a dozen iPod Touches for Christmas. I bought the first four from Apple because they were for siblings and had to be engraved. The confirmation said it would take a week. Shipped from Shanghai China. Arrived in 48 hours.

I am taking them out of the box, charging them, and initializing them. I am putting age and gender appropriate content on them.

iTunes prompts me for a name for the device but defaults the iStore account to my account name. I am able to copy music, videos, and audiobooks from my iTumes to the baby's iPod. I have downloaded Stanza and a collection of books from the Project Gutenberg and Apps from the store. All of this under my ID.

What happens when she syncs with her Mom's iTunes. What happens when she changes the "settings" to her own account.

I have three more to do. Please give me some help.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Unless you give them your iTunes account pw, they just won't be able to update anything put on from your account.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Skylar is six and got her iPod for Christmas. After Watching her sister with her's, I decided to get the sister one for her fourth birthday. Skylar is thrilled that she will no longer have to share.

Lilah is seven. Also got her's for Christmas. Her brother will turn five in two weeks. I asked her advice about getting him one. I expected Skylar's answer. Nope. Lilah likes the control. Does not want to empower her brother. Fortunately for him, I am into kid power.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could provide a Touch for all my students. There are lots of great flashcard apps. And in many cases, as with the textbook I teach from, you can put the entire text and all ancillary materials on the device.

It would be nice to offer them, and allow any student receiving an A or B to keep them.

That would be awesome! I home schooled my three children and one foster daughter - I used the devices and software curriculum so that their laptops and touches had all of their materials. It was fabulous! They were able to learn without even realizing how much they were actually taking in! Using all of their sensory input and the rich audio/ video was so helpful and my daughter is dyslexic and it was actually better for her! There is so much potential here for more than just games.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
That would be awesome! I home schooled my three children and one foster daughter - I used the devices and software curriculum so that their laptops and touches had all of their materials. It was fabulous! They were able to learn without even realizing how much they were actually taking in! Using all of their sensory input and the rich audio/ video was so helpful and my daughter is dyslexic and it was actually better for her! There is so much potential here for more than just games.
I watched four pre-schoolers yesterday doing what can best be described as "drill," loving every minute of it. They seemed to stay well within their comfort zone. However, based upon what their zone includes, they have clearly been pushing it in the past

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Good idea, but as people said, restricted functions
I find your comment ambiguous.

There are some who complain that the Touch is too powerful to put into the hands of a child. Some are afraid that they might stumble upon sexual content. To those I quote the sex education pioneer, Dr. Mary Calderone, who said, "You cannot tell children too much about sex; if you try, they will tune you out." Some are afraid that children will use the Internet to satisfy their natural curiosity. To them I say, "Chill! They are only doing what you did."

There are a few who argue that too much of the generality and flexibility of the underlying computer in the touch is hidden and "restricted." They want the Touch to look much more like a Mac or a PC. I tell them a story. Sixty years ago, when I first began to work in computers, it took a team of highly knowledgeable and skilled people to get a computer to do anything useful. Today a computer can be used by individuals who cannot even read and write, for, among other things, learning to read and write. One such computer is the Touch, which is as easy to use as it is, in part, because much of its functionality is hidden under thousands of purpose-built applications. I want children to use computers to learn reading, writing, mathematics, literature, science, and history. They can learn computers when they have some of the rest of this under their belts.

Which way did you want your comment to be interpreted?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2