danmowchan

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I opened this thread to discuss any problems people are having - or not having - with Prowl from the AppStore. I bought this app right away as soon as I heard about it from @atebits on Twitter and I was excited. However, once I got it all set up the push notifications weren't working. I emailed the developer and was given this response:

"Is your phone jailbroken? Jailbroken phones seem to have problems with
Push notifications."

The answer is: yes, my iPhone is jailbroken and I am having problems with push notifications with specifically Prowl. I want to warn potential buyers of this issue that will hopefully be worked out in an update. Has anybody else experienced this?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
No, I think this is one of the reasons why I didn't jailbreak my iPhone this time around. But I got Prowl working and it's pretty cool. Apps have to be open on your Mac for it to work, and since you have your iPhone with you, seems kind of strange to have the Growls pushed to something sitting next to you.

But still a cool nifty little app. :)

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
my understanding was that it was the hacktivated phones that had a problem with push notifications (and with youtube as well).

I jailbroke my phone last week and havent had any issues with push, other than beejive being terribly unstable but the recent update fixed that.

I cant speak for 3gs users though

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site

Not to hijack the thread overmuch, but you can also use it to post arbitrary notifications. They provide a perl script to do it from the command line, and others have supplied ruby, php, and python versions, but really any language in which you can do an https GET (really, any language) is capable.

I have been using it for a day or so -- this is going to be fun :)

Last edited:

rapidblue

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread overmuch, but you can also use it to post arbitrary notifications. They provide a perl script to do it from the command line, and others have supplied ruby, php, and python versions, but really any language in which you can do an https GET (really, any language) is capable.

I have been using it for a day or so -- this is going to be fun :)

True - this app has sooooo much potential :D:D:D

Chow

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am jailbroken and unlocked too. Push works on other applications but not Prowl. I hope we can get a fix soon...

dcrutgers

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Guys.. I was able to fix this! Just got into your iphone settings and turn off notifications and then turn it back on.. Launch Prowl on your iphone, go to the Prowl website and you will see your device! Works for me!

iamse7en

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Guys.. I was able to fix this! Just got into your iphone settings and turn off notifications and then turn it back on.. Launch Prowl on your iphone, go to the Prowl website and you will see your device! Works for me!

I tried this method, and I was STILL not able to get push notifications working on prowl. I'm jailbroken on 3G S⃣ via purplera1n rc2. Push notifications, like for everyone else, works great for every app, except for prowl.

iamse7en

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
How to get Prowl push notifications working on a jailbroken iPhone

Read this from Limited Edition iPhone (can't hyperlink because of this very odd rule at these forums about not having enough posts - stupidest thing I've ever heard and I'm a member on a LOT of forums, just google it):

Most people who have jailbroken their iPhones have mobilesubstrate installed and probably SBSettings. In order to get Prowl push notifications working on your jailbroken iPhone you need to reboot your iPhone into safe mode and then launch Prowl and let it register your iPhone.

You can do this by opening SBsettings. Hit Power. Then press Safe Mode. Once you are in safe mode just open up the Prowl app and it will register your iPhone. You can now reboot into regular mode and growl push notifications will be working.

I can confirm that this works! However, some comments say it doesn't last, and it must be re-registered again in safe mode. I'll see how it goes. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled to see there's some type of haxie to get this going.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2