Calendar oh calendar, where might you be?

aureatenova

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
There are some good things and some bad things about the iphone, as we all know. One of my annoyances is the calendar. Its not very...oh whats the word i'm looking for...complete?

What calendar programs do you use? I'd love to find something that especially has a good month view. Searching the app store for "calandar" doesn't bring up much which actually is a bit surprising. I've tried out the free version of SaiSuke (and its got the lovely month view!) but it can't use the apple calendar, so basically i have to enter everything twice. Once for the apple calendar so my RemindYou will work, and second for the month view.

What else is out there thats good? (And not horribly expensive as well!)

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Try PocketInformant. I used them with Windows Mobile and they are great. They also have a lite version you can try out.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
+3 for Pocket Informant. While it's still not "complete," it's the best we can hope for until Apple opens up some more core function to developers.

aureatenova

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
its weird that theres not a whole lot out there. I came from a palm centro and using datebk. Even though its been 6 months (crap did I really buy my first iphone in december?!) I still can't get used to the calendar on it. We need Datebk or Agendus!

*searches for pocketinformant on app store*

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Iambic has been working overtime trying to come up with a version of Agendus for the iPhone. But they decided they don't want to go the route of PI and make something that requires a 2nd database. (I am using PI, but find it odd that unless you sync it to your Google calendar and then sync your Google calendar to your iPhone, your iPhone and PI calendars won't match up.) They are working on something now that more closely resembles the original ActioNames - no calendar support.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It actually works extremely well. You just enter your gmail account as an Exchange account and it picks up your contacts and calendar (doesn't support tasks yet). If you update a contact on your iPhone, it's automagically updated on Google - and vice versa.

nagyg

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Week View

Coming from the Palm OS I am very disappointed in the iPhone's calendar app. Especially the lack of a weekview that shows free and booked time as bars (datebk5) is hard to forgo. I would even accept the sync via Google workaround if I could get a graphical week view like the one attached again. Any ideas if this exists?
Thanks!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I-cal! works seamlessly on powerbook and Iphone also syncs to the mobileme cloud! total integration. don't know about P.C's but for mac it is the only way to go.

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It actually works extremely well. You just enter your gmail account as an Exchange account and it picks up your contacts and calendar (doesn't support tasks yet). If you update a contact on your iPhone, it's automagically updated on Google - and vice versa.

Could you explain this a bit further? So when I go into add an email account instead of clicking on gmail, I click on Microsoft Exchange? I tried that and put in my email, left domain empty (said it was optional) put my gmail username in and password and got a message that said "Unable to Verify Certificate".

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Google Sync on iPhone

Keep in mind that Google Sync on the iPhone is set up using the Google Exchange account they provide for free. This is a great service and I hesitated making the switch from Outlook to Google, but once I did, wow.

Literally, I do not have to use my transfer cable for anything other than charging my phone and my calendar, contacts, and email (if I wanted them to), stay sync.

Also, PocketInformat is great. I've been using it on a Treo for 2+ years. The really cool thing about it is that it will announce your events and phone calls (when not on silent).

Eg: John Doe calling on Mobile Phone
Eg: HOA Meeting in 15 minutes.

This is great because I do not have to look at the phone to see which event reminder is going off or who is calling. Even if the name is not in the contacts list, it will read the number (eg: call from 859-555-5555). Pretty sweet.

I hope this helps. Thanks for reminding me about the Lite version. I will install it now.

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The instructions are here.

Thanks for the link. I still get the "unable to verify certificate" message. Continued anyway and followed the rest of the instructions which gives me a message that says it was successful, but then opening the actual mailbox says it cannot connect to the server. Weird.

I'll give pocketinformant a try.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
osensolf - our apps that we loved so much on Palm and WM don't work the same way on the iPhone. There are no notifications on the iPhone. And you still have to sync PI to somewhere cause it doesn't use the iPhone's calendar.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77