Iphone for geocaching?

happycamping

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Do any of you use your iphone for geocaching? If so, what apps do you use and does it work well? I was going to buy a handheld gps but if my phone will work why spend the money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

anon163328

Jan 16, 2009
Visit site
I use mine all the time and have had very good luck with it for the most part. I have the geocaching app from geocaching.com. I also have hand held gps units. I am still using both for the most part. I use the hand held for a road map of how to get to the cache and then the gps for cache info and finding the cache. Works really well but I am pretty sure they are coming out with an update very soon that will give some bonus features.

mahomer

Nov 14, 2008
www.bootcampmobile.com
Hi,

I use the app from geocaching.com as well. I tried using it to replace my handheld GPS but it didn't have the accuracy on some of the tougher finds. So I now use it as a faster way to find geocaches nearby and then plug them into my handheld without having to plan ahead and download maps and such into my gps. Now when I travel, I just keep my GPS in my luggage and use my iPhone to find the cache details and the GPS to actually find the cache. Like bgattis said, i am awaiting an update to the app to add extra features like posting the find and photos, etc.

I know people who cache successfully with google map printouts and a lot of bushwacking so the iphone would be a huge step up for them. However I am used to my GPS taking me within feet of the cache now so it wasn't good enough for me.

Enjoy,

Mark Homer

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77