My Take on the iPhone 8 and the X

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
After watching the presentation today on the new Apple products for 2017, I think the iPhone 8 has just enough features that it will draw enough folks over to upgrade. The improved camera, faster processor and wireless charging to name a few.

I feel they have the right idea only offering the 64 and 256 gig version and dropping the 128 gig option. Most consumers either want a basic phone with enough memory to handle their basic apps, photos and a few songs, so the 64 gig should be fine for that group.

The 256 gig version should be more then adequate for the power user who needs all the memory he or she can get. The price point is in line to what I expected for the new model.

Now for the iPhone X, first of all I am buying one and the $999.00 US price tag doesn't bother me. For me life is way too short and I am going to get what I want and enjoy it. You can't bury your fortune with you, so enjoy it while your on this earth, just the way I am.

I am excited about the facial recognition technology and the gesturing concept which is nothing new being I am a former Blackberry 10 user and I already used to that way of navigating on the device. I think a lot of folks who are used to unlocking their device with the home button might find this a little difficult to get use to.

As far as the new materials being used, I not all in with the all glass design, but Apple usually thinks things out pretty well on the engineering end and sounds like they used some pretty good materials and only time will time as far as the durability goes.

I am excited about the new X model and hopefully when I order mine on October 27, the website won't crash and leave me hanging like it did when I tried to order the iPhone 7 on the first day of preorder. Now it's counting every day until that day arrives.

greenjas

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll pass on this one. I'm not impressed at all. Call me what you want, I hate android OS but the S8+ beats the iPhone 8, 8+, and X. So disappointed.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I'll pass on this one. I'm not impressed at all. Call me what you want, I hate android OS but the S8+ beats the iPhone 8, 8+, and X. So disappointed.

I just looked at the Samsung S8 and the Note 8 and not impressed for what they are asking for the device. But that's just my opinion.

scgf

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and while it is undoubtedly a nice phone, I can't say I really like it. I was all set to buy an iPhone X - and would have ordered one if pre-orders had been as rumoured, like Friday. As it is I have more time to think and I am leaning towards a Google Pixel 2. I was looking in the App Store to see what apps I'd need should I move to iOS and I discovered I would be limited as to what i could do with it. I do like the flexibility and configurability of Android. I used to be a full-on Apple fanboy, I have every iPhone, but when the iPhone 5 came out my unnatural interest in all things Apple started to wane.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and while it is undoubtedly a nice phone, I can't say I really like it. I was all set to buy an iPhone X - and would have ordered one if pre-orders had been as rumoured, like Friday. As it is I have more time to think and I am leaning towards a Google Pixel 2. I was looking in the App Store to see what apps I'd need should I move to iOS and I discovered I would be limited as to what i could do with it. I do like the flexibility and configurability of Android. I used to be a full-on Apple fanboy, I have every iPhone, but when the iPhone 5 came out my unnatural interest in all things Apple started to wane.

That's the beauty of having choice when it comes to the OS that's works best for your needs. Personally I would still be using Blackberry 10 if they would have continued to have app support because I think the OS was great and worked best for my needs.

But, I am also an Apple fanboy and use iMacs in my business and the one thing that Apple has an advantage over its competitors is their integration between the iPhone, iPad and Mac OS, it just works seamlessly and for myself, that's a huge selling point.

I switch from Windows PC to Mac back in 2008 and haven't looked back. The hardware is rock solid and well worth the money and I haven't had one major hardware issue with any of my iMacs since I switched to Apple 10 years ago.

scgf

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I had iMacs since the very first one running OS X, but since Windows 10 I moved back to Windows but recently bought a 4K iMac. There really is little to choose between them now - I installed Windows 10 on my iMac and it looks really good and is silky smooth. I really can't choose which to use on a regular basis. Apple hardware is good, no doubt about it, but the software doesn't offer me anything more than Windows. As for the integration between iPhone and MacOS I'd switch it all off! As you say though, it's good to have a choice!

I'd still be using IBM's OS/2 were it still available, and I loved my Windows phones!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I had iMacs since the very first one running OS X, but since Windows 10 I moved back to Windows but recently bought a 4K iMac. There really is little to choose between them now - I installed Windows 10 on my iMac and it looks really good and is silky smooth. I really can't choose which to use on a regular basis. Apple hardware is good, no doubt about it, but the software doesn't offer me anything more than Windows. As for the integration between iPhone and MacOS I'd switch it all off! As you say though, it's good to have a choice!

I'd still be using IBM's OS/2 were it still available, and I loved my Windows phones!

IBM OS2, I remember that OS very well and I remember using it for a little while for one of my industrial clients who use it in his manufacturing plant. I am 61 and ancient and my first PC was an Osborne CPM machine which most young folks have never heard up.

I have been through the OS evolution including Dr DOS, TRS80 and the original MS DOS on my Kaypro 16 machine back in the day. Also most of the Windows variants too. God I miss those days, you had to have a good hardware and software knowledge to use one. I built and upgraded my own machines back then and it was fun. Now everything is plug and play.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
IF (IF) my wife wanted my 7 and did not want to stick with her iPhone 6, I would consider the 8. There is not so much excitement for me this time getting the 8, over my existing iPhone 7. I think the one thing I like is the wireless charging. The rest does not do that much for me. I would love the iPhone X, but I have to think carefully before spending $1400 (with case & tax) for a phone. That's a !@#$@ load of money for a phone. Plus I am not super thrilled with the "facial recognition" lock, considering at the Keynote it failed the first time. I do have both dates marked on my calendar in case I change my mind. Part of the thrill of getting the 7 last year, was sharing our adventures here on iMore forums.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
IBM OS2, I remember that OS very well and I remember using it for a little while for one of my industrial clients who use it in his manufacturing plant. I am 61 and ancient and my first PC was an Osborne CPM machine which most young folks have never heard up.

I have been through the OS evolution including Dr DOS, TRS80 and the original MS DOS on my Kaypro 16 machine back in the day. Also most of the Windows variants too. God I miss those days, you had to have a good hardware and software knowledge to use one. I built and upgraded my own machines back then and it was fun. Now everything is plug and play.

2 things..

#1 . I know it's Digital Research DOS... but I till preferred to call it Doctor DOS.
#2 . Just before moving I donated my TRS-80 to a local computer shop / museum.. but my background is in HP 3000 MPE/iX so I understand getting old in the age of computers.. right there with you! :)

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
2 things..

#1 . I know it's Digital Research DOS... but I till preferred to call it Doctor DOS.
#2 . Just before moving I donated my TRS-80 to a local computer shop / museum.. but my background is in HP 3000 MPE/iX so I understand getting old in the age of computers.. right there with you! :)

So true, I was having coffee with a friend a week or so ago he asked if I remembered writing batch files back then to speed up those keystroke heavy processes, there was a younger person who was listening to our conversation about about older PC's and asked what was a batch file?? We both laughed and said you wouldn't understand.

ReggieTee

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
For me, the smart choice is the 8 Plus. I've had my 6S plus for almost two years. I had planned to keep the next one for two years also. If skeptical of the Face ID. I know it'll work, but nothing as reliable as the the fingerprint reader. You know the next X version will have the fingerprint scanner under the display next year. So that would make me upgrade again next year. So i'm wondering if it makes more sense to get the 8 Plus, and just go with the X model next year. Decisions Decisions.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, the smart choice is the 8 Plus. I've had my 6S plus for almost two years. I had planned to keep the next one for two years also. If skeptical of the Face ID. I know it'll work, but nothing as reliable as the the fingerprint reader. You know the next X version will have the fingerprint scanner under the display next year. So that would make me upgrade again next year. So i'm wondering if it makes more sense to get the 8 Plus, and just go with the X model next year. Decisions Decisions.

It seems as if you’ve already got it figured out...

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am only going to get a new phone if my wife's 6 finally breaks. She bent it and the class is separating, but it still works. Instead of pre-ordering I want to be hands on with the X, so if they're available in store, great, if not I will wait. I am not overly impressed by each, and I am a huge geek when it comes to new Apple phones. I would love the X, but still put off by the "face only" option, the black bar (notch) on top, and the fact that I can't get 128GB that I am stuck with 64GB at $1K, but next option is $1150 for 256GB. Would much rather have the base be 128GB.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I've got a 7 Plus and am seriously considering the 8 Plus. I'd probably like the X but, particularly with the availability, just don't see it as worth waiting for. One new feature I really like is the True Tone display, I really like that on the iPad. Another is the LTE-Advanced, for the improved data speeds. Beyond that, I like the wireless charging, faster processor. I really like the new Portrait options, though it is likely I wouldn't use it much.

My fear, if I buy the 8, is that I'll regret it once the X comes out -- I'm a sucker for "latest and greatest." Likely my best bet is to just wait for next year's iPhone; guess we'll see if I can resist.

timee80

May 30, 2015
Visit site
The x is too expensive. I've got a 7 plus already so to upgrade to the 8 would feel like being sold the same phone twice. I'm not that daft

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234