Starting using my 8 Plus again and shelved the X

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
And while I like the X a lot, I think I'm going to stick with the 8 Plus. The only actually thing I like about the X more than the 8 Plus is the screen. Battery life is better not the 8 Plus, the size is better for me (something I couldn't believe how much I missed until I picked the 8 Plus back up). Also, while its not a dealbreaker, I much prefer Touch ID over Face ID. Touch ID is so much more convenient and just works better imo.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I still really like the X but I think the 8 Plus is just a better fit for me. If they come out with an X Plus this fall I'm all in, but until then I'm going to stay with the 8 Plus.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I thanks for sharing, I picked up the X today, but hanging on to my 8 plus just in case. So far I liked the small form factor of the X better, battery is a non issue for me I'm always by a charging spot if needed. Screens look good on both devices to me. Face id will take a little getting used to.

Redx

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I don't want touch id to go away like some say it will. I like to be able to unlock my phone when it's sitting on the table and not have to pick it up to face unlock. If they can have both that would be best.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
And while I like the X a lot, I think I'm going to stick with the 8 Plus. The only actually thing I like about the X more than the 8 Plus is the screen. Battery life is better not the 8 Plus, the size is better for me (something I couldn't believe how much I missed until I picked the 8 Plus back up). Also, while its not a dealbreaker, I much prefer Touch ID over Face ID. Touch ID is so much more convenient and just works better imo.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I still really like the X but I think the 8 Plus is just a better fit for me. If they come out with an X Plus this fall I'm all in, but until then I'm going to stay with the 8 Plus.

I keep saying I'm going to put my SIM card back into my iPhone 8 and start using it for a while, but I've yet to do it. I'm sure I will at some point. Anyway, if you feel like the iPhone 8 Plus is the better of the two for you at this time, go for it! You can always switch back and forth when you fell like it....:cool:

Last edited:

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have been testing both for the last week, still can't get used to the plus size in the pocket, call quality seems better on the X, i prefer FID too but not as good in a car, I get more failures with TID.
Screen is great on the 8 plus no qualms there and side by side noticeably bigger, battery excellent, just as fast/smooth.
It's just the form factor with the X and all the extra features that make it worth while.

I can sell the 8 plus 256GB and make $230 or keep it and sell the X 64GB and make $400.

The 8 plus i got was only 10 days and a real steal, offered it to my wife but she's happy with her 6S plus.

Tough descision need a poll lol.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
ps this should be a good thread if doesn't turn into a war like on MR threads.

I think it really comes down to if you like the bigger phone/screen and TID v smaller form factor and FID with supposedly a bit better camera, to the layman/girl the screens are similar, i showed my non techy wife the same thing on both and she picked the 8 plus :)

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I don't want touch id to go away like some say it will. I like to be able to unlock my phone when it's sitting on the table and not have to pick it up to face unlock. If they can have both that would be best

I can see that would annoy some people, i use mine on a desktop charger mostly which is great you can just tap to see, then swipe and when it opens will stay open if you want.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I was close to make the swap but... after playing with the X for a while I decided to keep my 8 Plus.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the iPhone X. But I still prefer the 16:9 form factor.
Look at the pictures below.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
On the homepage of a mobile version of a website the X is just fine. A little more content (one single row) and a not too cramped font size.C9EAD371-ADF3-49B3-9D75-2F1CC40D6163.jpeg171A70BE-75E8-4020-A9A9-66DE928BA299.jpeg

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
If you actually enter the article the form factor start making the difference. Font size and narrow lines... still not a big issue, but I prefer the 8 Plus.
5745236C-61B6-4BE0-8F8F-9E3D7DDB174F.jpeg1DB52AA9-CFB3-4CBD-A29E-021C25A72BB3.jpeg

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
When you start typing the difference is huge... I just love the iPhone 8 Plus keyboard and find it way superior than the X’s
C3206F98-0463-4F94-934D-53BD7CC3BC21.jpeg104BB4D0-CE0C-4BD5-A6D0-4B0BFBE63EF0.jpeg

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
For every other aspect I think the X is superior, but in the end I’ll stick with the traditional format as long as I can (presumably next October).

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
For every other aspect I think the X is superior, but in the end I’ll stick with the traditional format as long as I can (presumably next October).

Yep those screen shots show the difference, if only the 8 plus was smaller in size with same size screen.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't want touch id to go away like some say it will.

That is the very reason I chose the 8 Plus. I'm comfortable with Touch ID, and I have no interest whatsoever in Face ID. I also prefer the larger phone even though I have small hands.

I suppose in time I will end up needing a new phone. At that point I'll have to see what other options are available, but for right now I'm just going to enjoy my 8 Plus and not worry about it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I too prefer the Touch ID, and chose the 8+ accordingly! Nothing against the X.... but I figure that when I'm ready for a new phone... 2.5 years down the road, iPhone technology will have evolved even more. In the end, I'll trust Apple, as I always have!

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I just did my jump on demand from the X back to the 8 plus. I loved the X but I love the size of the 8 plus. I also couldn’t believe I would like the bigger phone, but I love it. Now if they come out with an X plus I will be getting me one that’s for sure!!!

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I gave the 8 plus to my wife and will stick with the X, if i had a handbag instead of a pocket would be easier.
Good upgrade for her from a 6S plus.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I gave the 8 plus to my wife and will stick with the X, if i had a handbag instead of a pocket would be easier.
Good upgrade for her from a 6S plus.

That's what I like about the X the small form factor fits in my front pocket nice. I hated pocketing the 8 plus in my back pocket, it wouldn't fit in my front comfortably.