Help with replacement screen

morendan

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
Hello thank you in advance for the assistance. Currently attempting to fix iPhone 7 Plus.

I have recently replaced my screen after severely cracking it. The replacement went smooth as butter however after turning it on I discovered that it wasn't turning on at all? I was going to try to restore the whole thing by setting it into recovery mode through the PC. However when connected to the PC the screen is entirely black with zero light emitting anywhere even though the PC recognizes the device. I assumed it must've been the blacklighting that I possibly broke, however when connecting the iPhone into my wall outlet the apple logo appeared and prompted me to connect the device to the PC. Any ideas whats going on?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello thank you in advance for the assistance. Currently attempting to fix iPhone 7 Plus.

I have recently replaced my screen after severely cracking it. The replacement went smooth as butter however after turning it on I discovered that it wasn't turning on at all? I was going to try to restore the whole thing by setting it into recovery mode through the PC. However when connected to the PC the screen is entirely black with zero light emitting anywhere even though the PC recognizes the device. I assumed it must've been the blacklighting that I possibly broke, however when connecting the iPhone into my wall outlet the apple logo appeared and prompted me to connect the device to the PC. Any ideas whats going on?

If you saw the  logo when you connected the phone to a wall socket then the screen is clearly working. In my opinion, the device appeared to have been in DFU mode and now appears to be in recovery mode. With that being said, have you gone ahead and connected it to the PC as instructed by the prompt? If so, does iTunes recognizes igt as being in recovery mode?

morendan

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
Okay i deleted everything i replied so i could make one correct post with everything i know.

iPhone 7 Plus. Replaced screen and when plugged into the wall it was stuck in the apple logo constantly rebooting. HOWEVER, while connected the wall outlet the screen showed the apple logo there for id assume the screen replacement was successful. After looking in the interwebs i found out i could restore my iphone following the instructions that were given online, I ended up with a phone that was showing to connect to itunes. After disconnecting the device from the walloutlet and connecting it to the PC, it showed no signs of working. There was no charging screen (green battery on the screen) it didnt show "connect to itunes" it wouldnt even recognize the device. Basically it acted as if i never even connected anything.

After reading online i read that after connecting the device to the PC i could--- Hold down both the Side button and Volume Down button, After 8 seconds, release the Side button while continuing to hold down the Volume Down button.

Success! The device was finally recognized by my PC, however there was still no signs of the screen functioning when looking at the device (after reading online i presume this means i am in DFU mode, "Nothing will be displayed on the screen when the device is in DFU mode. If open, iTunes will alert you that a device was detected in recovery mode." which is what i received"

In this state, iTunes insist the an iphone has been detected in recovery mode (online forum said this is what DFU mode shows) and that i must restore my device if i want to use it. After clicking OK and restoring the device, the top Loading bar on itunesd shows my device being worked on and at the very end of the loading bar it proceeds with it saying "Waiting on iPhone." the sound of a device disconnecting from the PC and then the sound of it reconencting will happen and then the bar will switch over to it saying "preparing iphone for restore" Which at this point the apple logo will come on! and then the logo will go away and go back to it being completely blank with the bar going back to the status "waiting for iPhone."

After waiting a few minutes iTunes will give me the infomation "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4005)"

Unsure where to move from here any advice would be appreciated.

I am terribly sorry for this being a long post i just wanted as much detail in case someone else comes along and wants to know whats going on

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
While I'm a big supporter of repairing your own device, this is why I don't repair my own. Hate this is happening but I'm leaning toward your screen repair as the root of your issues.

Also, please don't post the same thing in more than one thread. That creates duplicate posts which have to the closed.

Thanks, and welcome to iMore.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry you're having so many problems. I really do think that you might want to consider visiting the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. If you don't have an Apple Store nearby, look for an Authorized Apple Service provider.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

After reading your post I’m curious that this might be simply a bad Lighting cable

Try a new cable if you have one