Apple Maps

bassjo

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Me and a friend were saying the exact same thing a few days ago. Back then, we kept a paper map in the car. Heck, you couldn't even go to a gas station or a convenience store and not see them for sale near the cash register....

I will say this has definitely been a shame on me scenario... I'm also a child of the seventies and used to exclusively only use maps and/or directions as recently as 7-8 years ago. Even my 14 year old commented that that's what we get for rely on technology for everything. Lesson learned!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
We use Apple Maps when we are out making food deliveries for St. Vincent De Paul every Tuesday. It always gets us to our destination. When we're familiar with the area, we sometimes choose to go a different way, but all in all, we're happy enough with Apple Maps. We used to use google maps, but Apple Maps have improved greatly.

I also grew up with glove boxes filled with maps. My dad loved them, and we used to make notes of radio stations and restaurants we'd stop at, so we'd be sure to remember. Good memories of long trips in the family station wagon!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a pretty presumptuous comment there bud. If I'm driving in an area that I'm familiar with I wouldn't bother using the navigation app, however being in a totally unfamiliar area I was using the resources I had at hand. And in our case those resources let us down.
If I was totally out of my element I most likely would punch in the address in multiple navigation systems and see if the routing was the same before blindly following any of them. Now lets address the fact that I know how to read a map and basically would question an illogical set of directions in the first place. Navigation systems are tools, not fail-safes ...

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Me and a friend were saying the exact same thing a few days ago. Back then, we kept a paper map in the car. Heck, you couldn't even go to a gas station or a convenience store and not see them for sale near the cash register....

Am I showing my age if I mention that I remember the paper maps in gas stations, but that they were free? While paper maps are still exciting, I still get a sense of exploration and wonder looking at them, I use navigation (either on phone or car) while traveling. Turn by turn directions makes it so much easier, particularly in areas where roads are poorly marked (or in areas with detours because of construction).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Am I showing my age if I mention that I remember the paper maps in gas stations, but that they were free? ...

Oh heck yeah. You are indeed showing your age...(laughing)....You're approaching "geezer" status, aren't you?....

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I still have paper maps in my car. They're free at interstate rest stops. They're mostly for "just in case" purposes.

I still love the Rand McNally US Road Atlas, it is fun for planning trips and to have in the car as a backup. Of course, if you go to the Rand McNally website, their front page is all about their GPS systems.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Am I showing my age if I mention that I remember the paper maps in gas stations, but that they were free? While paper maps are still exciting, I still get a sense of exploration and wonder looking at them, I use navigation (either on phone or car) while traveling. Turn by turn directions makes it so much easier, particularly in areas where roads are poorly marked (or in areas with detours because of construction).

Not at all. I have a laminated Montana map in my glove box that has been in every car I've owned. My kids think it's a treasure map.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have never had Apple Maps direct my down the wrong "route".

As others have stated, I tend to check multiple resources particularly in unfamiliar places. No system is 100 percent perfect.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm a delivery driver and have dabbled in both Apple Maps and Google Maps. Google Maps is far superior in its accuracy and features.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
After Apple Maps took me onto a route with a 2-hour delay a year or so ago, I've been all Google Maps, all the time. However, my son uses Apple Maps exclusively and says it always gets him where he needs to go. (He did remark the other day how much better the Google Maps presentation was, however.)

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
After Apple Maps took me onto a route with a 2-hour delay a year or so ago, I've been all Google Maps, all the time. However, my son uses Apple Maps exclusively and says it always gets him where he needs to go. (He did remark the other day how much better the Google Maps presentation was, however.)

While I can admit Google Maps is likely better than Apple Maps, I can't agree presentation wise it's better...especially Android Auto vs CarPlay. Google maps on AA looks very blocky while Apple Maps on CarPlay looks clean, easier to read which road I'm driving on from the map (and roads I'm passing). Personal opinion.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Led- perhaps we can all communicate as in the Billy Connelly version of D.I.V.O.R.C.E if anybody remembers it. Oh sorry we were talking about M.A.P.S .

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
While I can admit Google Maps is likely better than Apple Maps, I can't agree presentation wise it's better...especially Android Auto vs CarPlay. Google maps on AA looks very blocky while Apple Maps on CarPlay looks clean, easier to read which road I'm driving on from the map (and roads I'm passing). Personal opinion.

Yes, I find the Apple Maps presentation to look much cleaner and it is easier for me to read. Which you prefer the look of is likely personal preference. Google Maps does have some better features, such as telling you what lane you need to be in and that they use the Waze traffic data, that you don't get with Apple Maps.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
LOL. On a different forum, when I used the name Joe Cocker (the singer), it blocked out the last name. Go figure!

You've made me wonder how that forum might censor South Carolina University fans, particularly when they say "Go Cocks" (for those who don't follow College Sports are aren't in the US, the South Carolina teams are the Gamecocks).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2