I wish iOS could implement imessage security across multiple apple devices!

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
So I have an iphone, ipad and imac. The iphone is always attached to me, but my ipad and imac are not. I have family members that watch my son during the days and they have full access to my ipad. They use it to monitor my son napping, and can obviously use it for anything else they may need. I have my imessages synced to all my devices because hey its so convenient if for whatever reason I leave my phone downstairs and I am working on my imac or whatever the situation may be.

What I don't want is my family members be able to see my imessages! I talk to different people about different things and don't want people seeing that. I wish there was a way iOS can create a password or code needed to get into the imessage app on certain devices I want to be private. I hid the app in a folder and shut off all notifications, but who is to say someone doesn't come across the app in a folder?!?! Seems silly to me, there is like zero privacy on ios.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
There will never come a day when I allow my iPhone number iMessages to be displayed on my iPad or MacBook. iPad and MacBook are for everybody in the house. iPhone is not.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
There will never come a day when I allow my iPhone number iMessages to be displayed on my iPad or MacBook. iPad and MacBook are for everybody in the house. iPhone is not.

But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of being able to be cross platform with all your ios devices?

I use my ipad a lot and I like being able to use it and answer text messages while using it!

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of being able to be cross platform with all your ios devices?

I use my ipad a lot and I like being able to use it and answer text messages while using it!

My phone is always with me. Literally. My iPad and MacBook are not. Besides, I've never been much into the whole cross-platform thing when it comes to messaging and calls. Why on earth would I want my private messages, or calls, possibly popping up on devices being used by my family and/or friends? No thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iOS devices, at least to this point, have always been considered personal items, and thus one of the reasons why there hasn't been separate login options. With the Mac, however, there is privacy because a user would have to login with your credentials in order to see your stuff. Will Apple incorporate a multiple user option for the iPad in the near future? I do not know, but a good deal of people are hoping that they will.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
There is a tweak that I loved when being jail broken called Bioprotect and it let you protect any app with either Touch ID or a passcode and it is amazing! I wish Apple would let us choose apps to protect like Messages, photos, clock app, etc.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a great reason to buy the new iPad that released. Separate devices would solve this problem. Sure, it's an expensive solution. But it's one that allows you your privacy and still gives them the abilities they require while watching your child.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like a great reason to buy the new iPad that released. Separate devices would solve this problem. Sure, it's an expensive solution. But it's one that allows you your privacy and still gives them the abilities they require while watching your child.

I was thinking the same thing!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You'd still be able to see the messages already there. New messages would be SMS.

You'd get a big prompt asking you to sign in. They wouldn't be able to use the app or scroll through his messages from the iPad. Nor would SMS messages come through because the forwarding feature requires iMessage to be enabled on the iPad.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You'd still be able to see the messages already there. New messages would be SMS.

It's definitely a temporary fix for the situation and there are many other options. I just think they're making it more difficult than it really is. If you don't want someone in your business, don't give them access to your device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77