Google Pixel XL convert and never going back to a google product.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Lemme just say I absolutely love my iPhone 7 plus. The phone is amazingly fast. Also it feels great to be back with an iPhone. Almost like being home after a long day at work. Bought a pixel xl at launch and was liking it for awhile but it just didn't feel as good as my iPhone. So I sold it on eBay and with the unlocked ones being all sold out I got a pretty penny for it. Everything sells smoothly until I get a message from the buyer yesterday saying the phone needs my log in information to unlock the phone. I think something fishy about this so I call google. Turns out you can't just do a normal factory reset anymore. If you do that your google account is still tied to the phone and you have to put it back in to un-brick the phone. I ended up having to give my Gmail info to a complete stranger over the phone so I didn't have to return the phone and risk loosing the opportunity to sell it, in the event he didn't return it or broke it and so on. I did remove my credit card info and change the password before I gave him the info and changed the password as I was hanging up.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the idea here is to make these devices less attractive for potential theft. Definitely would have been nice to know prior to the sell though, I agree. I don't think this is something I would give Google a bad grade for though.

Glad everything ultimately worked out for you!

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Apple does the same. Just bought an old iPhone 4S for a friend few weeks ago, and it was linked to an iCloud account. I had to ask old proprietary for his data in order to use the gadget. He was no happy, but it was his fault not prepare his iPhone before sell it. In fact, I really like this kind of measures. Here in Brazil smartphones are the most stolen item in all regions, maybe this make the thief's life more difficult, at least.

Cheers,

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep. It's the same with both Android and iOS. Make sure you go into accounts on your android phone and sign out of your google account and make sure you go into iCloud on your iPhone and sign out of that.

This is about security and a good thing. You just have to remember to do it. I forgot once as well and it was a pain, but it was my fault for not signing out.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm more so irritated that it wasn't really for lack of a better word advertised. Every android phone I've had before I could just hit factory data reset and that was the end of it. Could sell it and be on my way. I'm not opposed to more security by any means. More so that the change wasn't really made common knowledge. I know with iPhones u have to remove iCloud and disable find my iPhone and all that. But all the android phones I've had and trust me I've had a ton I never had do anything more than just factory data reset and it was good to go.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome back. Congrats on the new phone. Been using mine now for a couple months and love my 7 Plus. At least it really was a simple fix to get your old phone sold.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back. Congrats on the new phone. Been using mine now for a couple months and love my 7 Plus. At least it really was a simple fix to get your old phone sold.

Sorry to take my own thread off topic but what fire company do u run with? I'm a firefighter and our station number is 10 also.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Just recently retired from Spruce Grove Fire Services in Alberta, Canada after 15 years of services. My bunker gear was number 10. That is where the number comes from. Started as a firefighter and was moved into medical services as I was also an EMT. About 5 years as a pump and ladder truck operator first. I will ask though that if you want to talk further I'll PM you so we can keep the thread on topic. Thanks and PM is on it's way.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I had the Pixel XL for a couple of days and it was a terrible phone in general when compared to the iPhone 7 Plus. The Pixel XL lacked water resistance. The Pixel XL only had one bottom-firing speaker. The Pixel XL's rear camera had terrible lens flaring issues. LTE signal was weak on the phone. The only good thing about the phone was how awesome Android worked on the phone. The hardware was terrible. I was thinking about replacing my iPhone 7 Plus with the Pixel XL, but there was too much compromise with the Pixel XL. Pixel fanboys and Android bloggers hype the phone as the best thing since sliced bread. The S7 edge is a better Android phone, IMO. But the iPhone 7 Plus is currently the best phone anyone can get right now.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I had a Pixel XL ordered and I canceled and went with an iPhone 7 Plus. Since then, I've seen benchmarks, real world tests and speed tests prove time and again that the latest flagship phones on Android simply don't operate as fast or as smooth as an iPhone. Phones two years old are still outperforming the Snapdragon 800 series chipsets. They tried going with six and eight cores, that didn't work and their back at quad core. Meanwhile Apple's dual core processors run circles around the 820's and now the A10 quad core leaves the 821 well behind.

Apple has shown that controlling both hardware and software results in a finely tuned device that simply works, and works well.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the Pixel XL for a couple of days and it was a terrible phone in general when compared to the iPhone 7 Plus. The Pixel XL lacked water resistance. The Pixel XL only had one bottom-firing speaker. The Pixel XL's rear camera had terrible lens flaring issues. LTE signal was weak on the phone. The only good thing about the phone was how awesome Android worked on the phone. The hardware was terrible. I was thinking about replacing my iPhone 7 Plus with the Pixel XL, but there was too much compromise with the Pixel XL. Pixel fanboys and Android bloggers hype the phone as the best thing since sliced bread. The S7 edge is a better Android phone, IMO. But the iPhone 7 Plus is currently the best phone anyone can get right now.

The biggest problem with the pixels hardware and camera specifically is its inconsistencies. I was one of the lucky few who didn't have the lens flaring issue but there were also sooooo many people that did.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The biggest problem with the pixels hardware and camera specifically is its inconsistencies. I was one of the lucky few who didn't have the lens flaring issue but there were also sooooo many people that did.

Indeed. For the price of the phone, almost $1,000 for the 128GB version, there should be NO problems and very little compromise. There was too much of both with the Pixel XL.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. For the price of the phone, almost $1,000 for the 128GB version, there should be NO problems and very little compromise. There was too much of both with the Pixel XL.

I would agree with this. I really liked the Pixel XL but at that price point I did feel like there were too many compromises.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2