How is the Jet Black holding up?

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Ironically, the back of my Jet Black iPhone is fine, very, very few micro abrasions. The screen, however, has a ton of scratches, 4 or 5 being deep scratches. I've never had a screen protector on any iPhone (iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6 plus, 6s plus) and not one had a deep scratch. So I had to put a screen protector on my 7 Plus. Kind of disappointed about the screen durability.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
My son-in-law went into the Apple store for a matte black like mine, but it was unavailable -- so he went for the jet black. (I know, an unusual situation!) The jet black has held up remarkable well, only a few minor scratches only seen in strong light. The fingerprints are the bigger issue.

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Been rocking jet black for about 6 weeks or so now with a case on only about 30-40% of the time, max. It really is such a great feeling device that it's a shame to put a case on it. It is holding up well, better than expected, but still has a couple "micro abrasions" here and there. You can only see them when you hold it in the right light at the right angle. The grip is awesome, it's truly the best feeling iPhone I've ever had (I've owned every iteration since 4s). I don't baby mine but I also don't just toss it in a pocket with keys or slide it across a table either. I use a Tech 21 Impact clear-ish case or an Apple silicone case when I do use one. Usually it's only when I know I am going to be in an environment where it's more likely that I could drop it. If you haven't bought one yet, I highly recommend the Jet Black if you want to have a great feeling phone. If you are someone who will always leave your phone in the case anyway, then it doesn't really matter what color you choose.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Been rocking jet black for about 6 weeks or so now with a case on only about 30-40% of the time, max. It really is such a great feeling device that it's a shame to put a case on it. It is holding up well, better than expected, but still has a couple "micro abrasions" here and there. You can only see them when you hold it in the right light at the right angle. The grip is awesome, it's truly the best feeling iPhone I've ever had (I've owned every iteration since 4s). I don't baby mine but I also don't just toss it in a pocket with keys or slide it across a table either. I use a Tech 21 Impact clear-ish case or an Apple silicone case when I do use one. Usually it's only when I know I am going to be in an environment where it's more likely that I could drop it. If you haven't bought one yet, I highly recommend the Jet Black if you want to have a great feeling phone. If you are someone who will always leave your phone in the case anyway, then it doesn't really matter what color you choose.

I totally agree...it feels amazing!! I was surprised that it wasn't slippery like the other models. Two of my friends have the MB and when I showed them my JB they were surprised with the grip too.

dafmay

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I agree as well. Very pleasantly surprised about my jet black version. First it looks incredible and second it feels so awesome in the hand and very non-slippery...good grip. Excellent!

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, yesterday when I put it out of my tozo case, I saw scratches mostly around the antenna lines on the bottom.
So it scratched up even with a case. or because of the case, I don't know. (I had some bad experiences with a Spigen Air Skin on my 6+ before)

the good thing is, you can only see the scratches in direct light, the jet black is covering them up very well!

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Mine so far so good. I purchased mine last Thursday and prior to that on the same day, purchased a Spigen Hybrid Armor (gunmetal color) case and also a Devia slim tempered glass screen protector after getting the phone. Upon taking the phone out of the box, immediately placed inside the case.

The only more exposed parts are the camera and true tone flash which definitely will have dusts and some marks over time.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
How is that Spigen Jet Black thin fit case holding up? I just ordered one and I'm interested to see if their marketing of scratch-resistance holds up on this case? Would you mind posting a few pics of your iPhone in the case for me?

Thanks!

ark_1985

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
My very own personal suggestion:

Get a skin from Bestskinever. This is to prevent micro abrasions.

Get a Spigen Liquid Crystal TPU case. Get a clear one or glossy black (like mine did)

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for about a week now. Switching between various cases and have not noticed in scratches so far.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Good as new.
The ones that look like they were tied to the back of a car like beer cans after a wedding probably were abused a bit, think so?
Even two years later my SS watch edition still looks pretty good. It's got scratches just like any other SS watch case would have.

Some people are hard on their stuff!

You should see how bad some people's phones look INSIDE Otter/Speck/Pelican HARD USE cases. And the plastic screen protector is so fogged and scratched up! Ugh!

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine is scratched up mostly at the bottom, even though it's always been in a case.
I don't even dare to put it out of its case anymore :rotfl:

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Don't have a Plus but have a Jet Black 7. I use it caseless and while there are a few fine scratches it is not noticeable. Trick is to refrain from polishing the finish every chance you get. I also make sure not put it in a pocket with other stuff.

I actually think the whole micro abrasion thing has been blown out of proportion. The phone holds up just fine with sensible use.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't have a Plus but have a Jet Black 7. I use it caseless and while there are a few fine scratches it is not noticeable. Trick is to refrain from polishing the finish every chance you get. I also make sure not put it in a pocket with other stuff.

I actually think the whole micro abrasion thing has been blown out of proportion. The phone holds up just fine with sensible use.

Totally agree

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77