Would Micro-abrasions affect resale value of phones?

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

So what do you think? Would Micro-abrasions affect resale value of phones?

I'm asking more for Jet Black iphones..

Thanks!

PS: Edited to say Micro-abrasions rather than Scratches...

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Would scratches affect resale value of phones?

Yes. Would you pay as much for a phone with scratches all over it?

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I would think it would, if they were super noticeable. Any time a phone's appearance has been affected its going to affect its resale price.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I understand.. I think i was mean to say Micro-abrasions? I'll edit the topic as well...

The answer is still, yes, but it also depends on the buyer.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Yea I wouldn't even buy that color second hand, and i would skip over any ads/listings that say "Jet Black" simply because I'd assume it would be full of these scratches.

I can see Jet Black phones eventually reselling for less than Matte Black unless they're "mint." I would NEVER buy one of these by mail, either, even if I was looking for one. I would only buy local so that I could thoroughly inspect it before I handed the money over.

Which is probably why I would just rule it out, and not consider one in the first place.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
One of the reasons I didn't spring for a jet black was because it reminded me of the Candyshell on the old Speck cases. You can carve up those cases the second you put it in your pocket. But as someone who nearly has a case on their phone from the moment of purchase I suppose it doesn't matter.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
It will depend on how little or big those scratches are. Micro abrasions would mean nothing to me if it were surface only, but if it showed sign of being wear or scratches right though the surface, I wouldn't be interested in it. I am less particular than some people. But in the end it will affect the resale value.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
That's one of the main reasons why I avoided the jet black. If I sell it in pristine condition the other person I sell it to might think otherwise. The other colors pretty much stay the condition they are in if you take real good care of it.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My phones always have a case and screen protector on it. When I sell them or trade them in, they're a new (looking) as the day I got them! I would never buy a scratched phone, my OCD would kick in and I would be bothered by it all the time.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's amazing how much iPhones go for with dings and scratches on swappa. It doesn't kill value as much as people think. Most people who are buying jet black are aware of micro abrasions. Would it affect resale? Possible. But I don't see it killing it considering what I see sell and for how much.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's amazing how much iPhones go for with dings and scratches on swappa. It doesn't kill value as much as people think. Most people who are buying jet black are aware of micro abrasions. Would it affect resale? Possible. But I don't see it killing it considering what I see sell and for how much.

iPhone 6S+ 64GB Verizon (they're Unlocked World Phones) are selling for $100+ more in "Good" or "Mint" condition than in "Fair" condition.

That's a 20% or greater price drop based on the condition of the phone, which is a significant difference.

You'll still fetch a "decent" price for the phone, but the condition of it will both decrease the price of the device, generally speaking (it will also open you up to more aggressive haggling if you sell yourself in person, as people will use the percieved damage as a way to attempt to get you to lower the price); as well as decreasing the effective audience of people who would be interested in the device, which could make selling more difficult (or take longer).

Whenever I see a device with dings, dents, deep scratches it makes me concerned about potential non-visible internal damage to the device.

A phone with tons of surface scratches just looks ugly and makes it harder for me to resale when I'm done with it.

There are too many iPhones being sold with very small price variations in the Good and Mint "categories" to settle for a phone with dings and scratches if you're looking for a phone in Good or Mint condition.

For "Fair" devices, you can typically get them cheaper on CL or eBay than on Swappa.

If I were planning to keep the phone myself, basically forever and repurpose it after I upgraded (give to a sign. other, a child or sibling, etc.) then the Jet Black would be less of issue. If you're going to trade it back into the carrier than it doesn't matter. As long as the phone functions, they will take it.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

I sell all my old devices on swappa. The difference between mint and excellent isn't all that much. What has stopped me in regard to selling online is the amount of credit card fraud. I'd hate to sell to someone and then the charge is reversed because it was a stolen credit card. Not sure I want to go through the hassle of that.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I do enjoy the upgrade programs that are available through carriers and Apple. I don't feel the need to worry near as much about scratches and whatnot, because in a year I am going to turn it over to Verizon and they don't really care about the minor scratches and dings. As long as there isn't water damage, a busted screen or major damage to the casing they take it back. When I was reselling every year or two online, I was a lot more worried about the minor stuff because I was trying to get top dollar.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 6S+ 64GB Verizon (they're Unlocked World Phones) are selling for $100+ more in "Good" or "Mint" condition than in "Fair" condition.

That's a 20% or greater price drop based on the condition of the phone, which is a significant difference.

You'll still fetch a "decent" price for the phone, but the condition of it will both decrease the price of the device, generally speaking (it will also open you up to more aggressive haggling if you sell yourself in person, as people will use the percieved damage as a way to attempt to get you to lower the price); as well as decreasing the effective audience of people who would be interested in the device, which could make selling more difficult (or take longer).

Whenever I see a device with dings, dents, deep scratches it makes me concerned about potential non-visible internal damage to the device.

A phone with tons of surface scratches just looks ugly and makes it harder for me to resale when I'm done with it.

There are too many iPhones being sold with very small price variations in the Good and Mint "categories" to settle for a phone with dings and scratches if you're looking for a phone in Good or Mint condition.

For "Fair" devices, you can typically get them cheaper on CL or eBay than on Swappa.

If I were planning to keep the phone myself, basically forever and repurpose it after I upgraded (give to a sign. other, a child or sibling, etc.) then the Jet Black would be less of issue. If you're going to trade it back into the carrier than it doesn't matter. As long as the phone functions, they will take it.

This is the way I look at it. I buy a phone that makes me most happy. If I lose $100 in resale value because I had some micro abrasions, so be it. I was happy. I've had my jet black for almost a month a have 1 super tiny micro abrasion the size of a speck. If I get more, oh well. I got the phone that most pleased me. Losing a little value won't break me in any kind of way.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I do enjoy the upgrade programs that are available through carriers and Apple. I don't feel the need to worry near as much about scratches and whatnot, because in a year I am going to turn it over to Verizon and they don't really care about the minor scratches and dings. As long as there isn't water damage, a busted screen or major damage to the casing they take it back. When I was reselling every year or two online, I was a lot more worried about the minor stuff because I was trying to get top dollar.

Excellent point.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

So what do you think? Would Micro-abrasions affect resale value of phones?

I'm asking more for Jet Black iphones..

Thanks!

PS: Edited to say Micro-abrasions rather than Scratches...

Definitely. Any wear/tear is going to lower the value even if they are "micro"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2