tmobile insurance vs. apple care plus

tom_55

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I am currently getting a new iPhone 7 plus from tmobile and would like to know what are some advantages or disadvantages using tmobile insurance plan vs apple care plus.
I would like to here from existing tmobile customers what type of problems they had and if the problem was handled according to the insurance plan or did they get the run around.
Also, if there is a device problem and they cant fix the existing phone will you get a refurbish or will you get a new phone.
Thanks

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had T-Mobile a year ago. (Only reason I don't is I moved to an area where I get no service)

I had to use the insurance once for a warranty claim and another for damage I caused. Both times I had a short phone call or twitter message and they had my phone on the way. I think I got it within a day or two not much longer then that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
AppleCare is the better option. It's a one time fee for two years coverage with two replacements for I think $100 now each. T-Mobile uses the standard carrier Assurion insurance, which is $12/mo, no limit on replacements I don't think, unless you replace a lot, and it's usually more expensive than Apple. With Apple, all you have to do is set an appointment, walk in to the store and exchange it. Unless you live far away from a store, then I believe they send you the new phone and you send the broken one in. Cost wise, and convenience, Apple is the better choice.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on T-Mobile but I don't use Verizon's insurance because there's an Apple Store with 35-45 mins of my house so I can get more "instant gratification" using Apple Care Plus...which I purchased for the first time with the 7.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
FYI - carrier deductibles are horrific. I'm on AT&T, and for $8 per month ($192 for two years), their deductible during the first 6 months of ownership is $299 for ANY repair/replacement (of course they cover loss/theft, while AppleCare+ doesn't); after six months it drops to a "very generous" $224. AppleCare+ is $129 for two years, and deductibles are now $29 for a broken screen, $99 anything else.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple Care+ will run you $129 up front. No monthly costs. The deductible varies depending on the issue. For just the screen replacement it's $29. For anything else it's $99. This covers you for the first two years. AppleCare+ DOES NOT cover lost or stolen devices. If that happens...you're out of luck.

The insurance through carriers is typically administered by Asurion. You pay a cost per month (Usually between $9 - 13) and the deductible is a fixed amount usually around $200. This is the same regardless of the damage. If it's a small screen crack? $200. If the phone screen is shattered and bent? $200. The advantage here is that you now have coverage for lost or stolen devices.

For me, the question was how important is lost or stolen coverage? If that's not important to you then AppleCare+ is the obvious choice. But if you're worried about those situations, then go with the carrier insurance.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Apple Care+ will run you $129 up front. No monthly costs. The deductible varies depending on the issue. For just the screen replacement it's $29. For anything else it's $99. This covers you for the first two years. AppleCare+ DOES NOT cover lost or stolen devices. If that happens...you're out of luck.

The insurance through carriers is typically administered by Asurion. You pay a cost per month (Usually between $9 - 13) and the deductible is a fixed amount usually around $200. This is the same regardless of the damage. If it's a small screen crack? $200. If the phone screen is shattered and bent? $200. The advantage here is that you now have coverage for lost or stolen devices.

For me, the question was how important is lost or stolen coverage? If that's not important to you then AppleCare+ is the obvious choice. But if you're worried about those situations, then go with the carrier insurance.

This. I ALWAYS purchase AC+, and will never purchase carrier insurance again.

I also typically get a new iPhone every year, and so the other benefit of AC+ is the potential to receive a pro-rated refund of the premium should you choose to do so. Some years I need to make an accidental damage claim, and some years I don't. After a year, if you've not filed any ADH claims, you can get about $65 back by calling and cancelling the AC+ for your old phone. In my experience, AC+ helps increase the resale value of the iPhone a bit when you sell through Swappa and eBay.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
If you have an Apple Store relatively close to you I think AC+ is absolutely the way to go -- Apple will take care of you. IMO carrier insurance is expensive and if something happens you generally do not get great service (relative to walking into an Apple Store) and you typically will be without a device for days

tom_55

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I have one final question if the phone needs too be replaced will I get a refurbish or new phone?
It looks like I will be going with apple care +.
Thanks

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Refurbished device but they have always looked new to me with no problems either.

Best way is too make an appointment at your local apple store if you need service that way you get in and out very quickly. My local store is always busy so making an appointment for me is a must.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Verizon asurion insurance is $7.15 per month. It covers the active device on the line while apple care will only cover that specific phone. Being that I use multiple phones a year,carrier insurance makes sense for me.

If it is just a cracked screen,I would just get it replaced at apple for $149.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Verizon asurion insurance is $7.15 per month. It covers the active device on the line while apple care will only cover that specific phone. Being that I use multiple phones a year,carrier insurance makes sense for me.

If it is just a cracked screen,I would just get it replaced at apple for $149.

I undertstand. That great thing about having these options is that you can choose the option that works best for your lifestyle. For me personally, it made more sense to go with AppleCare+. The cost savings in the long run in addition to the fact that I don't worry about losing my device made sense for me.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If you purchased T-Mobile insurance, then it includes Apple care+. No need to spend the extra money for Apple Care separately. This started maybe a year ago. If if you purchased a 8 or X recently with their insurance, check your serial number. Now this AC is not transferable so if your remove the insurance or sell your phone, the Apple Care will be removed shortly after. I bought my phone through T-Mobile and the AC+ was added the next day. My wife bought a T-Mobile branded X through Apple the day after launch and since she already had insurance, the AC+ was automatically added within a couple of days without us having to do anything. If you buy a sim unlocked or any phone that is not sold as a T-Mobile iPhone, it won’t be added.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
If you purchased T-Mobile insurance, then it includes Apple care+. No need to spend the extra money for Apple Care separately. This started maybe a year ago. If if you purchased a 8 or X recently with their insurance, check your serial number. Now this AC is not transferable so if your remove the insurance or sell your phone, the Apple Care will be removed shortly after. I bought my phone through T-Mobile and the AC+ was added the next day. My wife bought a T-Mobile branded X through Apple the day after launch and since she already had insurance, the AC+ was automatically added within a couple of days without us having to do anything. If you buy a sim unlocked or any phone that is not sold as a T-Mobile iPhone, it won’t be added.

This is not entirely true. AppleCare+ is only included with the new $15/mo JUMP feature. The $12/mo feature includes basic AppleCare (no physical damage) and the $10/mo features include neither.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
This is not entirely true. AppleCare+ is only included with the new $15/mo JUMP feature. The $12/mo feature includes basic AppleCare (no physical damage) and the $10/mo features include neither.

I just got off the phone with Tmo (on an unrelated issue) and asked them about this. AC+ technically isn't included in anything. You have to specifically ask for it, which bumps your monthly cost from $12 to $15.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Tmo (on an unrelated issue) and asked them about this. AC+ technically isn't included in anything. You have to specifically ask for it, which bumps your monthly cost from $12 to $15.

JUMP and insurance is a “bundled” feature. You pay $10/$12/$15 per month and you get both. You can’t get one without the other. The difference is cost is the type of insurance that comes with it. And yes, you do need to ask for it, they won’t change you to the AC+ feature automatically when you buy an iPhone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

My $12 insurance includes Apple Care and when I run my serial on Apple warranty check, it has it. I screen shot this the other day. So it does cover for incidents. So technically, you are not correct.

e0dec5aa0f19429bad35a81277026d2d.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2