6s phone/contacts app freezing

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
When I open the phone app or contacts app on my iPhone 6S, the screen freezes, then the app usually just closes. I can't navigate between tabs (favorites, recent, contacts, voice mail). Sometimes, the screen freezes for a minute and then becomes responsive again, rather than just closing. It's very annoying. I have to remember to swipe the app completely closed after use in order for it to work properly. This never happened before I upgraded to ios10.

Also, twice a day or so, I get the white spinner when I press home to either wake my phone or go back to home screen.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing these problems and/or how to fix them would be appreciated. I tried a restore, and it didn't help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I recommend you put your device in DFU mode, connect it to your computer, and then select to restore and update it via iTunes. Afterwards, set it up as new. Before you do that, you can try going to Settings → General → Reset, and then select "Reset All Settings" to see if that helps.

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid that might be the answer. I've seen suggestions on the apple support forum that the contacts app freezing can be solved by not syncing contacts from any Exchange or GMail accounts. To me, that defeats the purpose of a smart phone!

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I am on 10.0.2 but it's been happening since I updated to 10. I haven't had time to try the DFU reset/set up as new suggestion above. Based on other reports I have read, that doesn't always solve the problem. However, as soon as I get a couple of free hours, I am going to try it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem after I updated to ios 10!

Yes. I am on 10.0.2 but it's been happening since I updated to 10. I

Sometimes, but not always, when there is an update and old system files are overwritten with new system files, file corruption can occur. When this happens you get odd behavior with some apps, or they just crash upon opening and won't run at all. The only way to fix corrupted files is with a clean install of the operating system.

Make a backup using iTunes (remember to use the Encrypted backup feature if you want your health data, wi-fi passwords etc, backed up), and then factory reset the phone. Once you've completed the factory reset and gone through the initial setup of the phone then you can use iTunes to restore your phone (ie; it'll seem like you never reset the phone even though you did).

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Yup I am having the same issue on my iPhone 6s ever since I updated to ios10. It's not something that is occurring all the time but curiously it's happened with the two apps I use the most: phone app and messages. So it is quite annoying and the only way it gets fixed is with a hard reboot. I hadn't updated to 10.0.2 though maybe that would fix it but now I see it's happening on 10.0.2 for others. I'm going to end up doing a fresh reinstall to see if this will fix it.

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes. I am on 10.0.2 but it's been happening since I updated to 10. I haven't had time to try the DFU reset/set up as new suggestion above. Based on other reports I have read, that doesn't always solve the problem. However, as soon as I get a couple of free hours, I am going to try it.

Yesterday I went ahead and did a fresh restore setting up my phone as new after backing up my device and the issues I had been having so far have been fixed. Hope this works for you too.

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Make a backup using iTunes (remember to use the Encrypted backup feature if you want your health data, wi-fi passwords etc, backed up), and then factory reset the phone. Once you've completed the factory reset and gone through the initial setup of the phone then you can use iTunes to restore your phone (ie; it'll seem like you never reset the phone even though you did).

So, first set up as new, then restore from iTunes backup?

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I still haven't had a second to do the set up as new restore process yet, but I think I may have found the culprit. After reading about this issue on the Apple support forums and other places, I tried turning off contacts sync for my work Exchange email account and I haven't had the freeze since. Sigh... not sure why this is suddenly an issue for me in ios10 - I have had those contacts sync'd for quite a while without issue. So, my plan now that 10.1 is out is I will backup, set up as new in iTunes, restore from backup, then turn the contacts sync on for that account and test.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77