Battery Usage & Standby Inquiry (Possible Bug Found)

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone - The other day I had my phone in airplane mode (had poor signal where I was and wasn't going to be using my phone) for 21 hours and noticed my battery dropped from 85% to 75%. 10% seemed excessive so I contacted Apple and they ran two tests. One the mobile inspector which checks all the hardware and it passed and the other was the battery summary test and report and it came back with a pass and my battery showed to be 100% quality.

Upon further investigation I realized my Battery Usage and Standby where the exact same. I had not yet updated to 9.3.2 so went through the update last night and it seemed to fix it. The Usage and Standby started to act as normal (standby was calculating higher).

Then, tonight I noticed the Usage was again starting to calculate even when the phone screen was off and in standby. I went through various settings, background app refresh off, bluetooth off, automatic updates through the app store off. The list goes on, everything was in check.

Wifi was turned on. So, I turned it off and made note of what my Usage time was showing. I waited 5 minutes and went back in after 5 minutes and the Usage time had not increased.

So, it looks like Wifi turned on is creating the Usage times to increase minute over minute even with the screen off and the phone in standby. My understanding is this should not be the case however before I contact Apple to let them know of this possible bug/find I thought I would inquire with you all here.

If Wifi is turned on - is it normal for the usage time to increase even when the phone is not in use? Maybe this is normal. I saw an immediate fix to the usage and standby ticking together minute over minute when wifi was turned off.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I know iOS 9 has been full of battery meter, usage and standby issues. At this point I don't feel like I have horrific battery life and that the software bug may be playing with the meter and other statistics but not impacting actual battery performance.

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Typically, when your usage and standby times are the same, a rogue apps is the culprit - at least it has been in my experience.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I used to think the same but am not necessarily buying into that anymore.

I closed out all apps, hard reset and reset all setting's and went into my battery statistics and nothing looked abnormal. And, even though the usage/standby were showing the same again last night the battery seemed to be fine.

Last night when I went to bed I shut wifi off and my usage was 4h 12 mins, this morning when I woke up it was 4h 16 mins.

So it looks like wifi being enabled could be a bug here. Or, at least in my case. Doesn't look to be a rogue app.

Note: I just tested it again. WIth wifi off usage doesn't increase when the phone is in standby however Wifi on and it does.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77