iPhone Newby

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I am an iPhone newby; I just recently got an iPhone 6s Plus. I'm coming from Android (HTC), and I have also had Windows, Blackberry and Palm devices as well.

I have a couple questions.

1: How do I get texts to read out over BT? When I'm in my car, I would like to be able to have it read texts over my car's BT. My Windows phone and my HTC would do it right out of the box.

2. Because of the 6s Plus's nice camera, how do I shoot using RAW capture? Again, something I could do with my Windows Phone (Lumia Icon).

Otherwise, I'm liking the phone. It integrates well with my Microsoft stuff like OneNote, OneDrive, and Outlook (Microsoft and Apple actually play well together).

The reason I got an iPhone was two reasons. First, Microsoft let me down by not including CDMA in the 950/950XL; I'm on Verizon and I'm not switching carriers over a device. Second, I got tired of Android's performance issues. My HTC (I also had this problem with Samsung too) would bog down and I would have to repeatedly have to reboot the phone two or three times a day (something I didn't need to do with my Windows phone).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I am an iPhone newby; I just recently got an iPhone 6s Plus. I'm coming from Android (HTC), and I have also had Windows, Blackberry and Palm devices as well.
Welcome to iMore. You will find many of us who have had experience with various brands over the years.

1: How do I get texts to read out over BT? When I'm in my car, I would like to be able to have it read texts over my car's BT. My Windows phone and my HTC would do it right out of the box.
If your car's hands-free feature doesn't inherently do it, just use the Hey Siri feature of your iPhone.

2. Because of the 6s Plus's nice camera, how do I shoot using RAW capture? Again, something I could do with my Windows Phone (Lumia Icon).
I'm sure there's an app for that.

Otherwise, I'm liking the phone. It integrates well with my Microsoft stuff like OneNote, OneDrive, and Outlook (Microsoft and Apple actually play well together).
I agree

The reason I got an iPhone was two reasons. First, Microsoft let me down by not including CDMA in the 950/950XL; I'm on Verizon and I'm not switching carriers over a device. Second, I got tired of Android's performance issues. My HTC (I also had this problem with Samsung too) would bog down and I would have to repeatedly have to reboot the phone two or three times a day (something I didn't need to do with my Windows phone).
Well, we're glad you're giving the iPhone a try. Hopefully, you'll enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. Merry Christmas to you, by the way.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
If your car's hands-free feature doesn't inherently do it, just use the Hey Siri feature of your iPhone.

Yes. That does work. It's just an added step that I didn't need to do. It's not a deal breaker...just a minor inconvenience.

I'm sure there's an app for that.

I haven't found one yet. I'm not sure Apple allows that deep level of access. Again, not a deal breaker. I'm a photographer and just like having that control.

Well, we're glad you're giving the iPhone a try. Hopefully, you'll enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. Merry Christmas to you, by the way.

Thanks. I'm overall happy with the phone. I'm not an Apple convert though. I have no plans on buying a Mac.

Oh yeah... I just remembered one other question. How do I project on to another screen using a Miracast compatible adapter? Again, something both Windows and Android can do out of the box.

Johngc82

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iPhone 6s Plus! You'll love this iPhone! I've used iPhone 4s & 5s! Had my 6s Plus for almost a week & I love the screen size & display !

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Make yourself at home and enjoy the site! I haven't seen an app that does RAW. Some do TIFF format. ProCamera v9.1 does TIFF. RAW takes up a lot of storage space. That may be why we don't see it on iPhone. Not many would use it.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I was a former Palm user as well

Enjoy and Post Often

Haha! I still kinda miss it. Unfortunately, Palm stopped innovating and got whipped by BlackBerry. Then BlackBerry got whipped by Apple and Samsung. Notice BlackBerry switched to Android OS though...

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok, another newby question. How does iCloud work? I have Microsoft OneDrive (currently 10TB) and my phone is set to auto upload to it. If I shut down uploading to iCloud Photos, will that delete the photos off of my phone?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your new phone. I hope you love it. I've been on Android mostly for 3 years but I'm now converting over to Apple. The way these devices just work together is awesome!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, another newby question. How does iCloud work? I have Microsoft OneDrive (currently 10TB) and my phone is set to auto upload to it. If I shut down uploading to iCloud Photos, will that delete the photos off of my phone?

Here's an iCloud guide app.
Guide for iCloud & iCloud Drive - Backup & Restore your Photos by CSC Hildebrand GmbH
https://appsto.re/us/KSwoC.i

About iCloud
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...2F%2Fwww.apple.com%2Ficloud%2F&token=6SQluNtW

https://www.apple.com/support/icloud/#mn_p

iCloud Photo Library
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2672581%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=aXRMmZ4F

http://m.imore.com/how-use-icloud-photo-library-ultimate-guide

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
You can get additional features like RAW format images and stuff through jailbreaking. Its entirely upto you though. Some people love to jailbreak while others don't find it too appealing to go through the hassle.

paulxxwall

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Yeah Windows has been letting me down also with its "waiting" " resuming" and the infamous " coming soon" so I've been playing with fianc? iPhone for years and always felt it was premium so for my b-day bought a 6s plus and yes there some that I miss from Windows but a lot that I don't. Like lack of apps , app quality, premium phones ! Loving my beautiful gold 64gb 6s plus!!

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Here's an iCloud guide app.
Guide for iCloud & iCloud Drive - Backup & Restore your Photos by CSC Hildebrand GmbH
https://appsto.re/us/KSwoC.i

About iCloud
iCloud - Apple

https://www.apple.com/support/icloud/#mn_p

iCloud Photo Library
iCloud - Photos - Apple

How to use iCloud Photo Library: The ultimate guide | iMore

Much thanks! This helped a lot. I have turned off my iCloud Photos. Like I said, I have OneDrive, the unlimited plan, and my phone automatically uploads to it. Thank you Microsoft and Apple work playing nice together. My M9 wouldn't upload to OneDrive, even after I told it to.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
You can get additional features like RAW format images and stuff through jailbreaking. Its entirely upto you though. Some people love to jailbreak while others don't find it too appealing to go through the hassle.

Thanks. I did a little research and it seems its a security thing. Apple doesn't want to give developers that level of access to the hardware. I'm not into jail breaking or rooting (Android term). For me it's not worth the effort.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
As an iPhone newby I thought this article was interesting. It's something that hasn't affected me because coming from Windows Mobile and Android, it's automatic to press the sleep/wake/power button to bring up the lock screen. Personally, if Apple implements something like Microsoft's Glance/Double tap to wake, I think many iPhone users would be pleased.

Is the iPhone 6s Touch ID 2 sensor too fast? | iMore