No need for a case or screen protector for 6S and 6S Plus

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand the point of AppleCare. I mean, $130 upfront, and then if you break the screen you have to pay $100 on top of that. And if the phone is broken altogether, you still have to pay to replace it. I rather not have AppleCare and if I break my screen pay the $150

It's for those of us who want insurance through Apple rather than our carriers or none at all.

My carrier is Verizon. For $11/month I would get insurance, extended warranty, accidental damage and theft protection through Verizon/Asurion, and if I need to use it, it's a $200 deductible. So, that's $260 over a 2-year period, plus a high deductible if I need to use it, plus I'm without a phone for at least 1 business day while they ship me a new phone. Also, while things may have changed, I've always been kind of disappointed with Asurion replacement devices. I don't expect a new phone from them, but they always seem a bit disheveled in my experience.

With AC+, I pay Apple that $129 up front and then $99 if I need to use it. I get the extended warranty - through Apple - and accidental damage coverage - through Apple. The only thing I don't get is theft coverage, which I would get through my homeowner's policy anyways. I don't have to wait, and I just go to an Apple Store, of which 2 are near enough to my home so as to not be a burden. Plus, the Apple refurb that is provided is pristine - other than the white box it comes in, I can't tell the difference between it and a new phone.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand the point of AppleCare. I mean, $130 upfront, and then if you break the screen you have to pay $100 on top of that. And if the phone is broken altogether, you still have to pay to replace it. I rather not have AppleCare and if I break my screen pay the $150

And who are you paying that$150 to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well if that makes you feel secure - good for you. Me, I prefer a naked phone and Apple care just in case ANYTHING else happens, not just screen.

I've yet to break a phone. Ever. But it's nice knowing if anything happens I'm covered. I do own two cases, an Apple silicone and a thin shell, but the phone is too nice to stick in a case.

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site

The only benefit is if you break the whole phone then it's $99 to fix it as opposed to $330 out of warranty. But the way I see it, since I pay $130 upfront for AppleCare, and then $99 after that, it's $230 total. I rather risk not having it and just pay the $330 if something does happen. The biggest benefit is if you break it twice, then it's $99 each time with AppleCare rather than paying the $330 each time

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I might buy it only because I just found out I can get a refund for the prorated amount if I decide to switch phones again after a year

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I never bought Apple care. I replaced my phone a couple of times in the past and they never charged me (not a penny) as long as within 1 year of your purchase. Apple care is just an extension to your 1 year warranty that is already included when you bought the phone with no extra cost and I don't need extra year because I replace my phone every year anyway.

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I might buy it only because I just found out I can get a refund for the prorated amount if I decide to switch phones again after a year

Meh. I decided against it. I've only had one accident with a past phone that required replacing it. Other than that I have always been careful with my phones. If I break the screen I'll just pay the $150, and the $330 if I need to replace it altogether. I'll take the risk since it's only a $100 difference between replacing with AppleCare vs. not

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
This may be the first iPhone that I decide to use caseless. The drop tests are pretty impressive (although it would be nice to find one that tried on gravel or pavement, and did a corner impact). I may just got for a film and SquareTrade.

Chris

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
This may be the first iPhone that I decide to use caseless. The drop tests are pretty impressive (although it would be nice to find one that tried on gravel or pavement, and did a corner impact). I may just got for a film and SquareTrade.

Chris

Let us know how it goes using it without a case. I stopped using screen protector since iPhone 4 and did not have any issues. I am now considering trying out for a week without a case, this time.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Are screen protectors really not needed on an iPhone? I had planned to get a glass one for my new 6s Plus but am unsure. I'm kind of spooked on not using one now. Here's why.

A couple phones ago I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with their version of gorilla glass 2 (not actually GG2 but Samsung's equivalent). I ran it caseless and screen protectorless for the last 4 months or so before getting a new phone. It never had a problem.

Moved to a Lumia 1020 which had gorilla glass 3, so I figured it would be even better. Ran it without a protector. A few months in it had rub marks/scratches at the top and bottom of the screen (around the ear speaker and the bottom button area not the screen area itself). I always carry it in my jeans pocket, not tight jeans either, and the only other thing ever in there is a plastic eye drop bottle. In Feb. of this year I went back to Android with a 2014 Moto X that also had GG3 so I was totally paranoid after the Lumia and ran a screen protector on it.

I'd love to go without a protector but I'm just paranoid now after the Lumia incident. I could understand the rub/scuff mark looking bits if there was a screen coating on top, but there were actual scratches as well (deep enough to catch a finger nail).

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Are screen protectors really not needed on an iPhone? I had planned to get a glass one for my new 6s Plus but am unsure. I'm kind of spooked on not using one now. Here's why.

A couple phones ago I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with their version of gorilla glass 2 (not actually GG2 but Samsung's equivalent). I ran it caseless and screen protectorless for the last 4 months or so before getting a new phone. It never had a problem.

Moved to a Lumia 1020 which had gorilla glass 3, so I figured it would be even better. Ran it without a protector. A few months in it had rub marks/scratches at the top and bottom of the screen (around the ear speaker and the bottom button area not the screen area itself). I always carry it in my jeans pocket, not tight jeans either, and the only other thing ever in there is a plastic eye drop bottle. In Feb. of this year I went back to Android with a 2014 Moto X that also had GG3 so I was totally paranoid after the Lumia and ran a screen protector on it.

I'd love to go without a protector but I'm just paranoid now after the Lumia incident. I could understand the rub/scuff mark looking bits if there was a screen coating on top, but there were actual scratches as well (deep enough to catch a finger nail).

I can see why you have concerns about not putting screen protector and that's because of your bad experiences with others phones. I'm an OCD when it comes to my iPhone. A little scratch will get me annoyed. But, I was never worried not putting screen protector. Like I said on my previous post, I never had any issues with my screen since I stopped using it a couple of years ago on my iPhone 4 going forward (I hope I didn't jinx myself). Anyway, I just don't feel like having extra layer on top of my screen. It feels great while touching it and looks good without screen protector. You also don't have to worry about seeing bubbles if you don't put it correctly. It makes your phone looks kind of dirty too when you see those bubbles.

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I can see why you have concerns about not putting screen protector and that's because of your bad experiences with others phones. I'm an OCD when it comes to my iPhone. A little scratch will get me annoyed. But, I was never worried not putting screen protector. Like I said on my previous post, I never had any issues with my screen since I stopped using it a couple of years ago on my iPhone 4 going forward (I hope I didn't jinx myself). Anyway, I just don't feel like having extra layer on top of my screen. It feels great while touching it and looks good without screen protector. You also don't have to worry about seeing bubbles if you don't put it correctly. It makes your phone looks kind of dirty too when you see those bubbles.

That's why I always buy several screen protectors because I'm super anal lol I will keep doing it over until I have no bubbles or dust

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
So after I got a small scratch on the screen, I decided to go with a thin case and glass screen protector.

Chris

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am probably going to have att install it... Not sure.
I always used to get a protective glass from amazon

dj2big

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Bought an iPhone 6S Plus for my wife my 13 year old daughter and me big my wife and daughter would not touch their phones until I put a tempered glass and case that was by their own choice... My daughter has broken several iPhones and androids but the smartphone before lasted wig a tempered glass it got broken many times and not once did the screen crack... Picked ours up from Amazon $7 each with free delivery it's way better deal than best buy or a local cellphone shop it takes patience to align and put on but to me it's well worth it

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I had a ZAGG Glas screen protector on my 6...and installed one on my 6s+ this afternoon. It might not need it, but it makes me feel better, so it's worth it to me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77