AppleCare. To buy or not to buy, that is the question

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've never bought AppleCare before. I'm generally carful with my phones. I've inky had one tragedy where it went into the washing machine 😳 is it worth buying? I also always switch to the new phone every year anyway. Since I have 60 days, I'm weighing my options. Thanks!

I had it on my 6, didn't get it on my 6s. I am very careful with my phones, and the fact that the nearest apple store is like 2.5 hours from me, and the increased cost, made me think twice about getting it. If you are clumsy with your phones, or plan to keep it more than a year, applecare is not a bad choice.

bellamyepl

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never bought AppleCare before. I'm generally carful with my phones. I've inky had one tragedy where it went into the washing machine 😳 is it worth buying? I also always switch to the new phone every year anyway. Since I have 60 days, I'm weighing my options. Thanks!

Like many have said before me. It is a preference thing. I have never bought it on any iPhone that I have owned and I've owned every single one every year and then some of the same ones because I buy and sell them a lot bc I like to switch between android and iPhone..
Back to the point. If I ever have any issues (other than cracking screen or water damage) Apple replaces the phone for free as long as you are within one year of purchase. I always upgrade to a new phone every year so I never need it.
Just me 2 cents

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I considered buying it this time around, but I chose not to. I pay $10/mo for JUMP! with T-Mobile and that includes insurance. I will just pay the insurance deductible if anything happens to my phone, and that includes loss, theft, and accidentally damage. I am good with that since Apple Care+ is not necessary, especially when it is not exactly cheaper.

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I didn't purchase on my last iPhone. I'm still patiently waiting on my 6S Plus, but I doubt that I'll get AppleCare. I also keep my phones in cases and have never had a problem.

daniesy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm the living proof that you can take care of a phone. I never dropped any iPhone i had. I mean i dropped them, but never cracked the screen :D I once bought some insurance that Orange (my carrier) offered. I ended up paying 200euros in two years for nothing. However, the iPhone 6 and 6 plus repairs are very expensive. I suspect the 6s would be the same. Last year, a friend of mine dropped his 6 plus and the price of replacing his cracked screen was 400euros, because the touch id is linked to the motherboard and you can't replace one without the other. At least this is what the guys at the repaid shop told us (they were authorised apple service providers).

MiXoLoGiSt

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
$169 here in Canada now. Ouch. That's $190 with tax where I live. I still don't know.

There's no tax on Apple Care+ that I know of. I didn't pay tax on it here in California. Might be different in Canada but here in the U.S. you don't get taxed on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There's no tax on Apple Care+ that I know of. I didn't pay tax on it here in California. Might be different in Canada but here in the U.S. you don't get taxed on it.

Correct. Can't charge tax on services.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely sales tax on AppleCare+ in Canada. 5% GST plus whatever your PST is, unless you live in Alberta and don't have a provincial sales tax.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I personally went with it. Anything can happen. $130 up front and the most I pay is $100 for any issue for the next two years is worth it for me. I break my screen once in the first year without apple care and I'm paying 130 up front. Break my screen the following year and I'm paying 300 I believe. There's 430 in expenses when I could have laid 330. Personally I've never broken my phone. But being assured I'm protected if it does happen is worth it for me. In addition to that I rock a case and a glass protector. This is almost a 900 device. Why not protect it?

aballerdotcom

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
AT&T has $6 a month insurance. Reason being is my shorthand lazy math tells me that it's cheaper to replace the iPhone on insurance than AppleCare.

No AppleCare on my handheld devices. I only really need AppleCare on my iMac which it has the 3 year one and it has saved my behind so many times it's actually funny.

I have a family member that works for AT&T and he says that he is the one that looks at the phone that are returned when the contract is over. He says "there will be a huge scam when all these people return their iPhone 6s's with cracked screens and missing accessories". He claims you need insurance incase the phone gets any damage when you want to take the phone in at the end of the contract and trade it in for another.
My BS detector was going off, but I can see this happening again. If anyone remembers when the 5th gen iPod Touch came out. Back in that time customers would go to the Apple Store to ask a question about their device. The Genius would have a flashlight and shine it into the headphone jack and look for a color. The problem with this around the time when the 5th gen iPod was released was Apple was telling everyone there was water damage on their devices no matter what they saw. Apple was sued and had to pay back money to customers who went to stores during this time.

Sent from my beautiful iPhone 5s using Crapatalk

MCube74

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Apple Care Plus is a must. I am told in HK that we just pay US $100 forms new phone regardless of the problem. We can get to do this 2 times in a year.

I am using a very slim air jacket to protect my iPhone 6s Plus. Want to use the phone without that much bulk and weight. I may even remove the case in a month and use the phone without any case. That is the joy of Apple Care Plus.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Bmichael78

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my brand new 6s (only 1 day old) in a pool already and it's shot. I'm kicking myself for not buying Apple Care+

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
At first, I wanted to get Apple Care +. Then I realized that an Otterbox with a tempered glass screen protector was a LOT cheaper. And it does the job =)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought it on my 6 plus, never had to use it since bending was covered however I think that it is totally worth having and I picked it up for my 6s Plus.

dexterouz

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
If you are changing it for the new model next year then don't buy Apple Care.

If you have a year time to buy AppleCare then wait for 7-8 month for new iPhone rumours and then decide whether you want to change it or retain your current iPhone and buy AppleCare :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2