• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Question on Applecare+ MacBook Pro 16 (Now or Wait) - Applecare+ Extends from time of purchase!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I normally don't get Applecare+ I did for my iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) but not for my other devices. I have yet (knock wood) to break a device, and I figure the cost saved outweighs the replacement or repair costs. However with the cost of the iPad Pro and now the new 2019 16" Macbook Pro (I9/1TB) is well over $3000 so I am going to get Applecare+ (even though my Amex extends warranty by 2 years after it expires).... mostly for 24/7 call / tech support as I am new to owning a Macbook Pro (Switching from Windows Laptop).

The actual question is this:
  1. I have 60 days from purchase of the Macbook to buy applecare+
  2. Applecare+ says it goes into effect at time of purchase of 3-years.
  3. Does waiting until my 60-days is nearly up and then buy Applecare+ extend the warranty time (by the delay) or does Applecare+ only extend the warranty to 3-years from the time I purchased the MacBook Pro on 11/15/2019?

Thanks in advance, just trying to get the most value for my $.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I normally don't get Applecare+ I did for my iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) but not for my other devices. I have yet (knock wood) to break a device, and I figure the cost saved outweighs the replacement or repair costs. However with the cost of the iPad Pro and now the new 2019 16" Macbook Pro (I9/1TB) is well over $3000 so I am going to get Applecare+ (even though my Amex extends warranty by 2 years after it expires).... mostly for 24/7 call / tech support as I am new to owning a Macbook Pro (Switching from Windows Laptop).

The actual question is this:
  1. I have 60 days from purchase of the Macbook to buy applecare+
  2. Applecare+ says it goes into effect at time of purchase of 3-years.
  3. Does waiting until my 60-days is nearly up and then buy Applecare+ extend the warranty time (by the delay) or does Applecare+ only extend the warranty to 3-years from the time I purchased the MacBook Pro on 11/15/2019?

Thanks in advance, just trying to get the most value for my $.

I would try to get it right when you buy it. Don’t know if something goes wrong in 60 days, especially if it’s serious, if you would be in trouble.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I thought so too, but the Terms & Conditions say differently: The terms and conditions say "Coverage begins when you purchase the Plan and continues through, unless cancelled, the date specified in your Plan Confirmation (the "Plan Term”)."

How would you cancel it? The AppleCare for MAC has to be purchased all at once. It’s not like the iPhone and iPad that you can pay all at once or monthly for two years.

The only time I canceled mine was when I sold my 2017 15” one and bought the 2018 15” refurbished from Apple. They didn’t want to pay me extra for the AppleCare so I cancelled it and added it to the 2018 one, plus I paid a little bit more so it would be three years.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I canceled my AC+ on my MBP 15" once my new MBP 16" arrived. I am going to order the new AC+ but will do so once the refund hits in a week or so. Yes 60 days to get it but you also have a warranty during that 60 days so if something goes wrong from a defect not from actual damage by the user then we are all fine. I will get mine ordered and they can run the remote diagnostic.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I canceled my AC+ on my MBP 15" once my new MBP 16" arrived. I am going to order the new AC+ but will do so once the refund hits in a week or so. Yes 60 days to get it but you also have a warranty during that 60 days so if something goes wrong from a defect not from actual damage by the user then we are all fine. I will get mine ordered and they can run the remote diagnostic.

There’s been talk that they might be putting it back at a year.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman