Disconnecting WiFi

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I try to shut it off when I’m out cause seems searching WiFi drains battery. If I choose to disconnect nearby WiFi it says til tomorrow then not long after I see its reconnected. What gives?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I try to shut it off when I’m out cause seems searching WiFi drains battery. If I choose to disconnect nearby WiFi it says til tomorrow then not long after I see its reconnected. What gives?

This has been the case for almost a year now.

Since many people have Apple devices and since you can use AirDrop, AirPods, Watch and many other stuff to connect to over WiFi and Bluetooth, Apple has decided to implement a soft-disconnect rather than fully disabling the Bluetooth and WiFi radios altogether on their iDevices.

Tapping the disconnect button in control center for Bluetooth and WiFi now simply disconnects from active connections and disables reconnection until the next day at 5am.

That way you can still use your Watch , AirPods and AirDrop and some other services without having to keep enabling and disabling Bluetooth and WiFi.

Here’s an article about it on Apple support:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

p3t3rPan

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
You can of course turn it right off in settings, and/or find out where else you are losing battery.
Me I just change when needed.