What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I had my "pages" app on my iphone 6 need an update. But it is basically stuck loading. Icon on my screen shows like the clock image over it and it is stuck at 3/4 complete. What would be best thing to do? Delete it and reinstall it? It isn't something I use so maybe I could just delete it.

dcharleyultra

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: App stuck updating

This just happened to me with Google Sheets, Orbitz and Pages.

On my iPhone 6 Plus, I had to delete the apps using iTunes. Then installing the apps went fine.

My iPad Air 2 was a different story. I couldn't delete the apps using iTunes because only the Update option was available. The Remove option wasn't available.

I took the iPad to the Apple Store last night, and we finally fixed it.

This is what worked:
First, we used Settings-> General-> Usage-> Storage-> Manage Storage to delete the offending apps.
Second, we Reset All Settings. The apps then installed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

This just happened to me with Google Sheets, Orbitz and Pages.

On my iPhone 6 Plus, I had to delete the apps using iTunes. Then installing the apps went fine.

My iPad Air 2 was a different story. I couldn't delete the apps using iTunes because only the Update option was available. The Remove option wasn't available.

I took the iPad to the Apple Store last night, and we finally fixed it.

This is what worked:
First, we used Settings-> General-> Usage-> Storage-> Manage Storage to delete the offending apps.
Second, we Reset All Settings. The apps then installed correctly.

It's just one app for me. What does the reset do? I don't want to go messing with anything else. Just that one app is an issue. I don't use it, so maybe I could just delete it.

mike770

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
App stuck updating

I've had the same thing happen to me. A reboot took care of it. Hold down the sleep/wake button and the home button until the phone shuts down.

Last edited:

dcharleyultra

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

It's just one app for me. What does the reset do? I don't want to go messing with anything else. Just that one app is an issue. I don't use it, so maybe I could just delete it.

Reset All Settings changes device settings back to factory default, without removing apps or data.

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

Reset All Settings changes device settings back to factory default, without removing apps or data.

Yeah I'll just leave it alone I don't want to change all my settings back if I reset it. Even doing a restart of phone didnt do anything now it's just stuck as "waiting"

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I'll just leave it alone I don't want to change all my settings back if I reset it. Even doing a restart of phone didnt do anything now it's just stuck as "waiting"

Try toggling on auto app update in settings.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

mrtoner

May 9, 2013
Visit site

My iPad 3 on iOS 8.3 started doing this several days ago and I had 31 apps that would not update. A reboot did not help. I also found that I could no longer backup or sync it to iTunes.

I took a less drastic step of resetting only the network settings and all was well after that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

My iPad 3 on iOS 8.3 started doing this several days ago and I had 31 apps that would not update. A reboot did not help. I also found that I could no longer backup or sync it to iTunes.

I took a less drastic step of resetting only the network settings and all was well after that.

Excellent, and I'm glad you took the time to figure it out.

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I tried to delete it and can't. If I hold screen to get the option to move apps around or delete them. This one had no little x on it. Tried to turn off and turn back in and still there. I can't figure how to post screenshots on threads to show.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried to delete it and can't. If I hold screen to get the option to move apps around or delete them. This one had no little x on it. Tried to turn off and turn back in and still there. I can't figure how to post screenshots on threads to show.

Sign out of the iTunes & App Store. Reboot the iPhone. Delete the app and then sign back in to the iTunes & App Store.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77