How resistant are these phones to drops?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I unfortunately dropped my iPhone face down today and I'm wondering how resistant these phones are to drops. It wasn't a big fall, like less than a foot, and I'm wondering how strong the glass is. There's no cracks or anything, but I'm worried about the touch digitizer and multitouch. If it seems like it's ok, it should be fine right? I'm not noticing any obvious loss of touch recognition

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
IMO the iPhone is tough and durable but not unbreakable. Whether it is damaged or not depends on how it was dropped (corner, back, face, etc.), the surface it was dropped on, and the height it was dropped from. If your phone has no physical damage and is operating normally then it's probably ok. However you always have the option of taking it to the Apple Store.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
So, I unfortunately dropped my iPhone face down today and I'm wondering how resistant these phones are to drops. It wasn't a big fall, like less than a foot, and I'm wondering how strong the glass is. There's no cracks or anything, but I'm worried about the touch digitizer and multitouch. If it seems like it's ok, it should be fine right? I'm not noticing any obvious loss of touch recognition

It's fine then if there's no visible damage & everything is working as it should. Any phone can break depending how it was dropped.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well to be honest, the drop wasn't even a drop. I put it face down on a glass table and when I picked it up it tapped against the glass.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Well to be honest, the drop wasn't even a drop. I put it face down on a glass table and when I picked it up it tapped against the glass.

So u bumped the phone against the table & you're worried it's damaged internally now ???? Cmon dude, u can't be serious. The phone is fine.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's fine.

I have dropped mine in my garage, bathroom on a tile floor, etc and no issues. That's with the Apple leather case too not an otterbox or similar.

If you don't see a crack and if the touch screen works then forget about it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's probably broken.

All kidding aside, why would you pretend that you dropped it only to later respond that you simply set it face down on a glass table? I'm assuming it's because you realized that you're worrying about nothing. Your iPhone is fine.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Most likely you have delaygate. Its a common problem with the iPhone. It is especially prevalent with the 6 and 6s. What happens is after a short to medium drop, the phone appears to be normal but after about 12.5 to 15 days you get an intermittent fault. This is attributed to a delayed reaction to the drop. You may want to take it to the Apple store and tell them that you want the delaygate test run on the phone. Any genius bar tech will know exactly what to do. Let us know what happens.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Most likely you have delaygate. Its a common problem with the iPhone. It is especially prevalent with the 6 and 6s. What happens is after a short to medium drop, the phone appears to be normal but after about 12.5 to 15 days you get an intermittent fault. This is attributed to a delayed reaction to the drop. You may want to take it to the Apple store and tell them that you want the delaygate test run on the phone. Any genius bar tech will know exactly what to do. Let us know what happens.

I assume your screwing with me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Crazy! I'm a firm believer that it how it lands is just as important as how far it falls.

That's true. Maybe more so than the distance. I've seen all sorts of scenarios with drops. On average, those with the least damage wear a decent case. And there's no real evidence a screen protector of any kind actually helps. They do give the user peace of mind.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Crazy! I'm a firm believer that it how it lands is just as important as how far it falls.

It's been about two months now since the display shattered and she is still using that iPhone today. I told her at the time to take it to the Apple store because they could be generous and repair it for free since she bought it in August. She hasn't done it and probably won't.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77