Once upon a time I had a HTC phone. One battery didn't last me half a day, so I had to have an extra battery with charger to keep it working. It was heavy and bulky, so I opted for a galaxy s phone. I also spent money on two extra batteries and a charger.

During the 8 months that I used those phones, I had to lug around extra batteries and the charger to charge those extra batteries all day every day. I got sick of doing that and decided to forgo the extra batteries altogether. Sick of having my phone only in the mornings, I dumped them for an iPhone. Surprisingly, without the ability to even swap out batteries, the iPhone lasted me two days with even more usage than I did on the HTC or the galaxy. The reason for heavier usage is that I didn't have to turn on and off features as I need them as the iPhone does that automatically. Using the android based phones, I had to manually manage GPS, wifi, bluetooth, and anything else that might drain batteries such as 4G. I never missed having the extra battery one bit. Today's iPhone 6 Plus gives me 3 days of usage without heavy data usage or more than a day of usage with normal usage with heavy data access.

I won't even talk about the SD or MicroSD card slot as that's not even something I'd put up with. Speed and reliability are two problems... There are more.
    iwoodland likes this.
    07-20-2015 04:29 PM
    Once upon a time I had a HTC phone. One battery didn't last me half a day, so I had to have an extra battery with charger to keep it working. It was heavy and bulky, so I opted for a galaxy s phone. I also spent money on two extra batteries and a charger.

During the 8 months that I used those phones, I had to lug around extra batteries and the charger to charge those extra batteries all day every day. I got sick of doing that and decided to forgo the extra batteries altogether. Sick of having my phone only in the mornings, I dumped them for an iPhone. Surprisingly, without the ability to even swap out batteries, the iPhone lasted me two days with even more usage than I did on the HTC or the galaxy. The reason for heavier usage is that I didn't have to turn on and off features as I need them as the iPhone does that automatically. Using the android based phones, I had to manually manage GPS, wifi, bluetooth, and anything else that might drain batteries such as 4G. I never missed having the extra battery one bit. Today's iPhone 6 Plus gives me 3 days of usage without heavy data usage or more than a day of usage with normal usage with heavy data access.

I won't even talk about the SD or MicroSD card slot as that's not even something I'd put up with. Speed and reliability are two problems... There are more.
    Wow, my experience has been totally opposite from yours with my Note 4. What type of Galaxy S extra batteries did you have to lug around? Mine are way thin, and come with a clear plastic protector like this one, fits perfectly in my pocket. I leave the charger at home, why bring it with you when you can charge the batteries at night like your phone?
    Attached Thumbnails If you have a choice, would you prefer to have a replaceable battery and/or sd card option?-1437424998381.jpg  
    07-20-2015 04:45 PM
    Talking about the 32gb as the starting storage, does anyone know why Apple doesn't make it in the 6 and 6+?
    This is a topic that has been covered several times here...bottom line, as a business move, it didn't make much sense for Apple to eliminate the 16GB version since it was still selling so well. This coming generation in September will change that though according to Forbes today, and the entry model will be 32GB (most likely).
    07-20-2015 05:30 PM
    This is a topic that has been covered several times here...bottom line, as a business move, it didn't make much sense for Apple to eliminate the 16GB version since it was still selling so well. This coming generation in September will change that though according to Forbes today, and the entry model will be 32GB (most likely).
    Thanks for that bit of info. That would be great if the next IPhones come in also 32gb, although if I were to get one, the 128gb would be my choice.
    07-20-2015 05:45 PM
    Genuine question: For those that say the SD card slot ruins the aesthetic/design of the phone, does the SIM card slot also ruin the design? Couldn't Apple create something like this but you would insert a SD card instead? I agree that the experience is better without it but I'd rather have it than not; even though I am okay with not having it as I knew what I was buying before purchase.
    07-20-2015 11:12 PM
    Genuine question: For those that say the SD card slot ruins the aesthetic/design of the phone, does the SIM card slot also ruin the design? Couldn't Apple create something like this but you would insert a SD card instead? I agree that the experience is better without it but I'd rather have it than not; even though I am okay with not having it as I knew what I was buying before purchase.
    The SIM card slot is a necessary evil in the aesthetic of the phone. Since I've never felt the need for the SD card, having it on the side as well would be an unnecessary evil so I'm glad Apple doesn't include it.
    I also think another reason they don't have a removable batter and SD card is that their devices are so thin that they pack the battery into every leftover nook and cranny. The battery may not be a nice neat rectangle that could be swapped. And their might not be any room for an SD slot.
    shief24 likes this.
    07-20-2015 11:17 PM
    How can you lose a card that should be in your phone....I have plenty in my house where I have a container just for them. Overpriced is overpriced and Apple severely overprices on memory . Not enough of an issue that it's a deal breaker but it's them being greedy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Because if there is an issue with the SD card, which is pretty likely, you will end up taking it out and possible dropping it. And it's pretty easy to lose something that small.
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-20-2015 11:43 PM
    Because if there is an issue with the SD card, which is pretty likely, you will end up taking it out and possible dropping it. And it's pretty easy to lose something that small.
    Maybe I ask which phone did you own and sd card you used, where your sd card had many issues, and you repeatedly dropped it, and couldn't find it?

I'm beginning to think some have misconceptions on these 2 options. Swapple batteries is perhaps the fastest and easiest way to be 100% again. SD card slot do not take that much space in a phone. Good SD cards don't break easily, otherwise they won't be selling. Cloud services are great for back up, but you can't readily retrieve files when you're in a plane, camping, or overseas. I have kept my 128gb since day 1, never needed to remove it. Viewing the videos and pics from my Disney World trip thousands of miles in the sky was great.

Anyway, thought I should clarify these misconceptions. Of course there are bad experiences, but let's not overgeneralize them. I guess it all boils down to personal preferences and comfort level.
    Last edited by Sammuel1973; 07-21-2015 at 12:57 AM.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    07-21-2015 12:28 AM
    Maybe I ask which phone did you own and sd card you used, where your sd card had many issues, and you ended dropping it, and couldn't find it?
    My Dad's Samsung Galaxy S 4G, S3 and Note 4. It clicks in and I have to drag it out. Sometimes I ended up dropping it and it took a while to find it. The S3 and S4G had multiple issues with the SD card not being able to be read. It happened once with the Note too. I don't consider myself a clumsy person, I have 20/20 vision and good dexterity with my hands, but something that small is always at risk of being dropped.
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-21-2015 12:34 AM
    My Dad's Samsung Galaxy S 4G, S3 and Note 4. It clicks in and I have to drag it out. Sometimes I ended up dropping it and it took a while to find it. The S3 and S4G had multiple issues with the SD card not being able to be read. It happened once with the Note too. I don't consider myself a clumsy person, I have 20/20 vision and good dexterity with my hands, but something that small is always at risk of being dropped.
    Ah, got it. Yes, they can be a pain to remove, they are so tiny. I rather them to be tiny so the design and aesthetic of the phone is not compromised. Like I said, most folks I know usually never need to remove their sd card unless they have a new device or when it's full. Even when sd cards are dropped, they are rarely damaged or missing.
    07-21-2015 12:53 AM
    No its the same. Neither actually impacts the aesthetic.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    21stNow and LewLew23 like this.
    07-21-2015 01:05 AM
    No its the same. Neither actually impacts the aesthetic.

In your opinion.
    07-21-2015 01:09 AM
    TIL "Redundant" = "Interesting" to some.
    If you find it redundant then skip it. If you want freedom from redundancy in general then change your posting patterns.

LewLew23 likes this.
    07-21-2015 01:09 AM
    In your opinion.
    Yes.

07-21-2015 01:10 AM
    While I don't think it impacts the aesthetic I do prefer built in storage. I just think it shouldn't add more than $50 for each double. Like the Nexus is 649 for 32 and 699 for 64. I think that's reasonable.

07-21-2015 01:12 AM
    While I don't think it impacts the aesthetic I do prefer built in storage. I just think it shouldn't add more than $50 for each double. Like the Nexus is 649 for 32 and 699 for 64. I think that's reasonable.

To Apple $100 is reasonable. You have to consider that iPhones are luxury devices and that they are trying to make maximum profit. They know the $100 price gap won't discourage their user base from upgrading to an iPhone with greater storage.
    07-21-2015 01:34 AM
    To Apple $100 is reasonable. You have to consider that iPhones are luxury devices and that they are trying to make maximum profit. They know the $100 price gap won't discourage their user base from upgrading to an iPhone with greater storage.
    I for one am willing to spend that 200 more for a 128GB device.. I will end up saving money because I can get a lower data plan as I'm now paying extra for a 12GB data plan.

If I have that 128GB device, I can finally save all my songs for offline listening.

And since I find SD cards an inconvenience, I am glad Apple sticks to not adding that option.

And while desktops where existing out of a separate monitor and system case, Apple has always manufactured all in one devices.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 07-21-2015 at 01:57 AM.
    07-21-2015 01:42 AM
    I for one am willing to spend that 200 more for a 128GB device.. I will end up saving money because I can get a lower data plan as I'm now paying extra for a 12GB data plan.

If I have that 128GB device, I can finally save all my songs for offline listening.

And since I find SD cards an inconvenience, I am glad Apple sticks to not adding that option.

And while desktops where existing out of a separate monitor and system case, Apple has always manufactured all in one devices.
    How are SD cards an inconvenience?

Nexus
    21stNow likes this.
    07-21-2015 05:01 AM
    I agree with you. Apple can charge much more, and their customers seem to not mind. Everyone is the not same.
    Last edited by Sammuel1973; 07-21-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-21-2015 08:12 AM
    Some of you guys are overblowing the supposed unreliability of SD cards. Yeah, they definitely blow out. I am with you on that. I've had it happen to me. But they aren't like these fragile glass statues. A well made card from a reputable manufacturer isn't going to just die after a month. They have fast read/write times and are very reliable for data storage (like lots of extra music and movies). You'd have to be chucking your phone around pretty hard to dislodge it and damage it while it is sitting in the phone.

OTOH I am with you on not having these ports just hanging loose all over the phone. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me one way or the other but I'm not particularly keen on the SD port being on the exterior of the phone (that would be an example of how they could easily get damaged while you are traveling with the phone...and its why most smartphone manufacturers don't put the sd card slot there). I like Apple's unibody designs so really to get the port where I would want it on an iPhone, I'd have to disassemble my iPhone just to get to it. No thanks.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    07-21-2015 08:15 AM
    How are SD cards an inconvenience?

Nexus
    After having worked with SD cards for years on WMP devices (HTC Tytan, TytanII and so) that's what I think of SD cards.
    07-21-2015 08:40 AM
    After having worked with SD cards for years on WMP devices (HTC Tytan, TytanII and so) that's what I think of SD cards.
    Ha, so long ago. Technology has evolved tremendously, so have sd cards.
    07-21-2015 09:09 AM
    If you find it redundant then skip it. If you want freedom from redundancy in general then change your posting patterns.

Meh, pointing it out is a lot more fun (and redundant). Thanks though...
    07-21-2015 10:10 AM
    Ha, so long ago. Technology has evolved tremendously, so have sd cards.
    It's not about technology, it's about the cards. I don't like them.. I am getting in repetitive mode in this thread. I don't want it, I won't want it, ever.
    07-21-2015 10:12 AM
    It's not about technology, it's about the cards. I don't like them.. I am getting in repetitive mode in this thread. I don't want it, I won't want it, ever.
    Fair enough, I was just curious to know your reason as to, like Peter asked, why you think sd cards are inconvenient.
    07-21-2015 10:30 AM
154 ... 23456 ...