Shattered my screen :(

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone!

Yesterday morning I was rushing out of my car -to not be late for work- and my iPhone got caught in my bag strap and tumbled out of my hand face up on the concrete-it still got shattered. I'm kind of kicking myself because I've usually kept it in a heavy-duty case but decided to go naked for the slim feel and to admire the aesthetic -and so I can keep it in my pocket at work. Anyway, I took it to a couple of places near my work place and they said they charged 250-350. One even said it was bent (which I paid no mind to). I called Apple and they said 149 for the screen repair so I booked a genius appointment.

Heres the thing, lately my iPhone speaker has been really low. I mean I can barely hear music/podcasts on speaker or phone conversations unless I keep it close to my ear. I tested it beside my moms iPhone 6 and hers was loud and crisp as usual. I am afraid the Genius Bar would blame this on the fall and not service it. Is this likely? Or would my best course of action be to service the screen and book another separate appointment to address the sound quality so these issues don't seem related?

P.S for anyone wondering why I haven't went in to address the sound issue before. As seen in the picture my iPhone was jailbroken and I wasn't ready to restore and upgrade yet. IMG_0345.JPG

Some help would be nice! THANKS!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Apple Store will probably replace the device entirely since they know that a drop can damage more than just the retina display.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
They don't care about the device being jailbroken, unless you've tweaked your device some (overclocked; underclocked, etc). However with repairs they check everything.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
They don't care about the device being jailbroken, unless you've tweaked your device some (overclocked; underclocked, etc). However with repairs they check everything.

But this would be a repair right? Are you saying they would check it but wouldn't care and still service me? Just wondering.

Anyway I went to my appointment and told them about the speaker and of course showed the screen. They replaced the entire device for the cost of a screen replacement ($149). In this case it was better that it wasn't jailbroken since they had to restore it to take it back.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But this would be a repair right? Are you saying they would check it but wouldn't care and still service me? Just wondering.

Anyway I went to my appointment and told them about the speaker and of course showed the screen. They replaced the entire device for the cost of a screen replacement ($149). In this case it was better that it wasn't jailbroken since they had to restore it to take it back.

I knew they would...:)...Thanks for the update.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

I went to south america back in April and we were on the beach and I had my iphone 6 in my pocket, totally forgot about it and went on the water to take pics of an old ship wreck, the phone was submerged for about two minutes, totally dead.
Came back and went to my Apple store and they replaced for a fee , 299 in this case, it was totally my fault and at the end I was happy I didn't have to pay the whole 750 dollars...

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I went to south america back in April and we were on the beach and I had my iphone 6 in my pocket, totally forgot about it and went on the water to take pics of an old ship wreck, the phone was submerged for about two minutes, totally dead.
Came back and went to my Apple store and they replaced for a fee , 299 in this case, it was totally my fault and at the end I was happy I didn't have to pay the whole 750 dollars...

Is that how much it costs for Out of Warranty fixes in your country? In Canada, to get a replacement phone it would cost $399 and with taxes 450! Gotta love Apple their service goes beyond and above expectations. And I honestly would not have paid the 450 (would have said my goodbyes). I ended up putting warranty on the replacement phone (through my carrier) to protect me from future accidents.

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
1e1d163688af3ddfc8af4e55fd57275d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk for 

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My guess is apple will want to restore the phone before replacing it to make sure the JB and Speaker volume is not related .. Or they might just replace it all because of the screen

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Q
Is that how much it costs for Out of Warranty fixes in your country? In Canada, to get a replacement phone it would cost $399 and with taxes 450! Gotta love Apple their service goes beyond and above expectations. And I honestly would not have paid the 450 (would have said my goodbyes). I ended up putting warranty on the replacement phone (through my carrier) to protect me from future accidents.

I live in the U.S., yes, it was 299 to replace the phone , they told me it was the same fee regardless of memory ( 16, 32 64gb )

Gold Max

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I feel you... My brother gave me this iPhone 5C after he cracked its screen. I tried to fix it myself, but it went worse... Now I bought new phone, iPhone 6

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
.Anyway I went to my appointment and told them about the speaker and of course showed the screen. They replaced the entire device for the cost of a screen replacement ($149). In this case it was better that it wasn't jailbroken since they had to restore it to take it back.

Good deal! Glad they took care of you.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Why didn't you put on a case for your phone? Make sure that never take off your phone case!!!

I usually keep a heavy duty case on. But this morning I was kind of late for work so I was in a rush and didnt assemble it. I keep it on at all times now.