Tips to make using the iPhone 6 Plus a better user experience

nat750

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I've used the iPhone 6 Plus for just over a month now & it's fair to say I'd find it difficult dropping down screen size to the iPhone 6 (but I can see why the 6 is the sweet spot for most) and to say I'd used the 5s happily for a year before going to the 6 (for a month) now onto the 6 plus, I pick up that phone now & really feel like it's not even in the same league. Anyways for those trying to get used to the 6 Plus, but haven't been convinced yet here's a few tips I've used to help me adapt & make the transition:
1. Get a case with grip (I use Apple Silicon case) because without good grip you will drop (and break) this phone whilst stretching those fingers around.

2. This might seem like sac relige to long term iPhone users but it's time to move them home screen icons that have sat in the same spot for many years around. For me the 4th row down is the new top row & the 5th & 6th the new 2nd & 3rd. I couldn't see why my most used apps on the top row we're the ones I was always stretching for. Time for change.

3. Third party swipe keyboards are best for one hand use (in my opinion)

4. That little mic next to the space bar I now use that, why struggle trying to one hand type when you can just dictate (if two hand typing isn't an option)

5. Keyboard shortcuts, create them & use them. Get into the habit & you can write paragraphs in a few taps.

I'm sure there's plenty of other tips & tricks but if we don't share we might never know.........each one teach one.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a grippy case and I've yet to drop and break mine, lol. Leather all the way.

Really, the major thing the larger size has stopped me from doing the most is texting while driving, and to be honest, that's probably a damn good thing, lol.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a grippy case and I've yet to drop and break mine, lol. Leather all the way.

Really, the major thing the larger size has stopped me from doing the most is texting while driving, and to be honest, that's probably a damn good thing, lol.

Yeah I heard a guy complaining about his note 4 the other day cause he can't text and drive anymore... I was like well you can thank the note for saving your life bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

It was even hard for me to text and drive with the 5 and 5S because i was hardly a one-handed typer to begin with.
I don't even bother to try while I'm driving anymore.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

The funny part is that it's a big phone stopping you and not the laws lol.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The funny part is that it's a big phone stopping you and not the laws lol.

I do lots of things that are against the law while driving like most people...AND I'm a LEO (for another month anyways, haha!) It was a habit that I was slowly getting better at, and never did it while in my gubment car, but honestly...I was guilty and will admit to it all day long. I've probably sent 3 texts while driving since getting the 6 Plus, and actively stop driving to do so now.

Whatever works, as they say.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I do lots of things that are against the law while driving like most people...AND I'm a LEO (for another month anyways, haha!) It was a habit that I was slowly getting better at, and never did it while in my gubment car, but honestly...I was guilty and will admit to it all day long. I've probably sent 3 texts while driving since getting the 6 Plus, and actively stop driving to do so now.

Whatever works, as they say.

Next time I go through Atlanta, if I get pulled over from texting and driving I'm telling the officer that you do it too

On topic:
Thanks for the tips, OP. If I ever get a plus, I'll definitely try your advice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Next time I go through Atlanta, if I get pulled over from texting and driving I'm telling the officer that you do it too

On topic:
Thanks for the tips, OP. If I ever get a plus, I'll definitely try your advice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I got pulled over in full uniform while driving my Jeep one day (had just left the range after practicing on my own time)...guy said I wasn't wearing my seatbelt (I wasn't, vest and all) but instead of saying that, I responded "Neither were you." (knowing the majority of my colleagues never did/do). He smirked, handed me the ticket and asked where to send his resume for a federal job...I pointed at a dumpster beside the store in the parking lot he pulled me over in, he laughed and went on his merry little traffic cop way.

Moral of the story...you probably shouldn't say that to a cop. ;)

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I've used the iPhone 6 Plus for just over a month now & it's fair to say I'd find it difficult dropping down screen size to the iPhone 6 (but I can see why the 6 is the sweet spot for most) and to say I'd used the 5s happily for a year before going to the 6 (for a month) now onto the 6 plus, I pick up that phone now & really feel like it's not even in the same league. Anyways for those trying to get used to the 6 Plus, but haven't been convinced yet here's a few tips I've used to help me adapt & make the transition:
1. Get a case with grip (I use Apple Silicon case) because without good grip you will drop (and break) this phone whilst stretching those fingers around.

2. This might seem like sac relige to long term iPhone users but it's time to move them home screen icons that have sat in the same spot for many years around. For me the 4th row down is the new top row & the 5th & 6th the new 2nd & 3rd. I couldn't see why my most used apps on the top row we're the ones I was always stretching for. Time for change.

3. Third party swipe keyboards are best for one hand use (in my opinion)

4. That little mic next to the space bar I now use that, why struggle trying to one hand type when you can just dictate (if two hand typing isn't an option)

5. Keyboard shortcuts, create them & use them. Get into the habit & you can write paragraphs in a few taps.

I'm sure there's plenty of other tips & tricks but if we don't share we might never know.........each one teach one.

Yea i also came from the 5S to 6 then 6 plus... Same transition and texting it difficult with one hand! And has also stopped texting while driving which is a good thing, with the text I was still able to text and drive :( but now I wait to a stop light or to the place I'm going..

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Best advice is to just deal with it and get used to it. If you keep trying to force nostalgia through then you'll always be unhappy with it.

As for cases. A $9.99 Spigen case will provide more protection and as much if not more grip than anything Apple sells. I don't recommend their cases to anyone because the prices are laughable.

I do think this phone requires a case. It's like a wet bar of soap without one. When I got mine. I literally didn't use it until my case was delivered for fear of dropping and breaking it. It's the slickest phone I have ever experienced or even heard of so far. Definitely something they should address in the next model.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2