Bloatware is something the carriers add after the OEM finishes the skin. If the "feature" is put in by the OEM you can either get the device or not get it. Bloatware is something the carrier adds that cannot be removed. One key reason I prefer unlocked, not carrier devices. I must applaud Apple that since 2007 they have not allowed carriers to change their devices which is why apple send out the updates instead of the carriers. Nexus devices are similar, but as we all know, there any many more choices of models and features in android and some like that, some don't. Just because someone does not want, need or use a feature from the OEM does not make it bloatware.

I have also owned many android devices and would self identify as an android user first. Liking my iPhone 6+ and will use it for a while till I get the Moto X I preordered 10 days ago, hopefully this week!
    You know that Moto X has 2012 technology right? It has the same screen resolution as the iPhone 6 Plus. And a smaller battery and less storage.
    09-29-2014 07:17 AM
    Managing your apps and settings for battery use is similar and as important for both phones.

People like their fan boy, tribal and rant behavior but I see these devices in significant numbers in my jobs. A demanding or daft Galaxy user has same problems as my Apple users do.

Go through your settings and app setup to make sure apps, reminders, and radios aren't working when not needed or when you need battery life.
    geekymcfly likes this.
    09-29-2014 08:32 AM
    That's great. Enjoy your new iPhone!
    09-29-2014 08:36 AM
    The pop up Windows like a calculator are amazing. Or quick access to text messages without leaving the app your in. I use those everyday on my G3. I can't wait for my 6+ but a feature like that would be awesome.
    09-29-2014 12:11 PM
    On a phone, it's nothing more than a gimmick that Android users use to On a desktop with a widescreen monitor like my 30" widescreen I'm using now, you can have an Excel and a Word document on the screen full size.
    Opinion as fact much?

You can use it to have two browser windows open, Evernote and your calendar, a browser and maps, etc. It makes a lot of things easier in the right situations and ignoring that completely because you think it's a gimmick is silly.

Even ignoring dual windows, the Note series and a few other phones also have hover windows, or foreground windows, which let's you run a small app in a window on top of another. It is awesome to have and I gave a very real example in my other post in this thread.

I say again, your choice to write off good ideas that have very real use in very real sitatuions as a gimmick is short sighted. There is no reason why Apple shouldn't add these things. If they do you can continue thinking they are gimmicks all you want and ignore using them, but having them doesn't hurt anyone and it just gives people that like these things the option to use them without possibly needing to jump he OS ship.

I'm not attached to them enough to choose a phone purely on those features, but they do hold sway. If they were added to the 6 Plus it would just make it that much easier for me to pick one up because I do like having them and using them when the time is right.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    Last edited by kch50428; 03-19-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: clean up
    09-29-2014 02:54 PM
    Opinion as fact much?

You can use it to have two browser windows open, Evernote and your calendar, a browser and maps, etc. It makes a lot of things easier in the right situations and ignoring that completely because you think it's a gimmick is silly.

Even ignoring dual windows, the Note series and a few other phones also have hover windows, or foreground windows, which let's you run a small app in a window on top of another. It is awesome to have and I gave a very real example in my other post in this thread.

I say again, your choice to write off good ideas that have very real use in very real sitatuions as a gimmick is short sighted. There is no reason why Apple shouldn't add these things. If they do you can continue thinking they are gimmicks all you want and ignore using them, but having them doesn't hurt anyone and it just gives people that like these things the option to use them without possibly needing to jump he OS ship.

I'm not attached to them enough to choose a phone purely on those features, but they do hold sway. If they were added to the 6 Plus it would just make it that much easier for me to pick one up because I do like having them and using them when the time is right.

Reading comprehension fail. I said Android users (meaning on the phone) is a gimmick, because seriously, who's more productive with two browser windows open at the same time? I can look at two different Mac sites at the same time? Hardly productive. Productivity is enhanced on the DESKTOP side, which is what I said.
    09-29-2014 03:48 PM
    One person's gimmick is another person's useful feature. I still don't understand why you would have two browsers open(I can understand tabs) but maybe it's a business thing? My friend always likes to talk about dual windows on his Note; I just never understood why it would be more useful than tabs. He has never given me an example of how he uses it

Maybe Apple can utilize reachability to bring down one window and plop on top the next application card.?
    09-29-2014 03:53 PM
    Reading comprehension fail. I said Android users (meaning on the phone) is a gimmick, because seriously, who's more productive with two browser windows open at the same time? I can look at two different Mac sites at the same time? Hardly productive. Productivity is enhanced on the DESKTOP side, which is what I said.
    Seriously? That's your reply and you accuse me of having issues with reading comprehension?

Maybe you should read my entire post again, not just the few words about having two browser windows open, because I gave other examples and none of them had to do with using a 30" monitor and a desktop. I also touched on the other multiwindow functions these phones have that are supremely useful.

One person's gimmick is another person's useful feature. I still don't understand why you would have two browsers open(I can understand tabs) but maybe it's a business thing? My friend always likes to talk about dual windows on his Note; I just never understood why it would be more useful than tabs. He has never given me an example of how he uses it

Maybe Apple can utilize reachability to bring down one window and plop on top the next application card.?
    I gave examples in my last post, aside from two browser windows.

09-29-2014 04:17 PM

Good point here about the reachability. It cuts the screen in half which would leave it open to place another window, or application on top (obviously would look better in landscape side to side though). Would be nice to have, there's no denying that. Just yesterday I was trying to go back and forth between ESPN.com and a calculator to come up with some specific baseball ERA numbers, and realized that the only way to realistically do it was to write down the information from the website and then use the calculator to get my numbers. Would love to have been able to keep the website open while the calculator is open as well. It's not asking too much and would truly be a useful feature to have. However, I think that if Apple was going to add it in, they would have done so with the big release of iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 plus
    09-29-2014 04:31 PM
    That's interesting. I came over from a Note 3 and I don't think battery life is as good on the 6+. It may be caused from spending so much time trying to set everything up and editing all the double contacts.
    10-02-2014 10:17 PM
    Seriously? That's your reply and you accuse me of having issues with reading comprehension?

Maybe you should read my entire post again, not just the few words about having two browser windows open, because I gave other examples and none of them had to do with using a 30" monitor and a desktop. I also touched on the other multiwindow functions these phones have that are supremely useful.

I gave examples in my last post, aside from two browser windows.

I apologize, I should have quoted all of your examples. They are valid to the right people but I meant to say that the examples you gave, I didn't see any use for. However that doesn't mean they aren't valid and perhaps I'll find a use for them when I move on from Graduate school.

As for using reachability, that is the only way I can see dual screen happening. I wonder if they built in floating windows to iOS 7/8? I can see it being nice for a full screen iPad
    10-02-2014 10:37 PM
    That's interesting. I came over from a Note 3 and I don't think battery life is as good on the 6+. It may be caused from spending so much time trying to set everything up and editing all the double contacts.
    It had to be the editing and setting everything up, because my 6+ is knocking my Note 3 out of the box with battery performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-02-2014 11:12 PM
    Come on guys, just admit it. Anyone who says the battery life on the 6 Plus is great is obviously being paid by Apple.
    mommybetts and jmr1015 like this.
    10-03-2014 10:37 AM
    Come on guys, just admit it. Anyone who says the battery life on the 6 Plus is great is obviously being paid by Apple.
    As much as a iPhone fan that I can be I know that the 6+ won't touch the lg G3 or galaxy s5 for battery life
    10-03-2014 10:52 AM
    As much as a iPhone fan that I can be I know that the 6+ won't touch the lg G3 or galaxy s5 for battery life
    For some reason that's hard for me to believe.

10-03-2014 11:11 AM
    What on earth?

I've had the S5 AND the G3, i'm getting a good 3 days on my 6+ without having to charge it. my S5 lasted a day, maybe 4 hours screen on time, sometimes 5. My G3 was around 5 screen on time.

The 6+ DESTROYS both of those phones in battery life.

Right now i'm walking around with this thing with a Jawbone and Bluetooth turned on 100% of the time and im getting 2 days with it. that's monitoring my steps and etc etc..
    mommybetts likes this.
    10-03-2014 11:14 AM
    What on earth?

I've had the S5 AND the G3, i'm getting a good 3 days on my 6+ without having to charge it. my S5 lasted a day, maybe 4 hours screen on time, sometimes 5. My G3 was around 5 screen on time.

The 6+ DESTROYS both of those phones in battery life.

Right now i'm walking around with this thing with a Jawbone and Bluetooth turned on 100% of the time and im getting 2 days with it. that's monitoring my steps and etc etc..
    Really wow glad to hear your getting such good battery life
    10-03-2014 11:24 AM
    I'd better go look in the mail, and see if my Apple check has arrived because the 6 Plus could jump start a car with that battery ...
    My Galaxy note 3 would have never done this.-iphone-6-web-browsing-battery-life-anandtech-001.png
    Last edited by Not Quite Right; 10-03-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    mommybetts and Closingracer like this.
    10-03-2014 11:27 AM
    I'd better go look in the mail, and see if my Apple check has arrived because the 6 Plus could jump start a car with that battery ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhone-6-web-browsing-battery-life-AnandTech-001.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	67187
    Yes it can lol!!!

the_tech_eater likes this.
    10-03-2014 02:16 PM
    I'm on the S5 right now and while the battery life is decent you have to turn off too much stuff to make it excellent. I'm sorry, but I highly doubt the S5 has better battery life than the 6 Plus.

On the G3? No way, period. I had one and the main reason I didn't keep it past the return period was the battery. It was excellent for standby time and it was great when I was home with the screen dimmed and connected to WiFi. When I left the house and turned auto brightness back on and was reliant on cell signal it tanked hardcore. I'm talking 3.5-4 hours screen time tops out of a 3000 mAh battery.

I don't buy $600+ phones to neuter it by turning off half the features so if that's what is required to get goof battery life, well, that isn't good battery life at all. Everything I've read about the 6 Plus says excellent battery life out of the box while using all the features of the phone.

jmr1015 and mommybetts like this.
    10-04-2014 02:32 AM
    I had the S5 also and the battery life was good, but not anywhere close to the 6 plus. I always unplug my phone at 8:00am when I get to work. I listen to podcasts until I go to lunch at 12:00pm. Battery level on S5 would be at 75%, and the 6+ is at 93%. By the end of the work day(4:30), S5 is at 45-50% and the 6+ is at 80%. Of course there is a little Web browsing here and there, especially during lunch, but mostly podcasts all day. Last night my family and I went shopping for my daughter's b-day. I used maps on my 6+ for about 30 minutes and I would look through these forums while my wife and daughter were shopping. When we got home at 11:00pm, my battery was at 40%! I did not charge my 6+ at all yesterday. That is awesome battery life.
    jdhooghe and mommybetts like this.
    10-04-2014 05:44 AM
    Apple can sleep. Note cant. lol
    mommybetts likes this.
    10-04-2014 07:37 AM
    I have never been ecstatic over iPhone battery life. My 5s is about a little below average in battery life compared to other phones I have had. However, my wife has a 6 plus and she reports outstanding battery life. I may have to upgrade to it in the future.

One thing is for sure though the iPhone is far more power efficient with stand-by time than android.
    03-19-2015 12:11 PM
    You need to make a trip to the Apple store. Something is wrong with your phone.
    03-19-2015 12:27 PM
    Is battery life that much of an issue?! I'm only saying this because I had a note 3 and it was rooted, I had greenify installed and could get 2 days usage out of it. I'm not what people call a power user, whatever the hell that means, but I did use my phone a lot. Now I have a 6+ and I plug it up nightly usually at 65-70 percent left til death and I'm not concerned. Shouldn't ease of use and function weigh heavier over how long it'll last? Especially since these devices are a lot lighter and sleeker than the devices say 20 years ago. And if I'm to stand corrected isn't there enough portable power sources being made to compensate that?!
    zerog46 likes this.
    04-01-2015 05:44 PM
78 1234