This is your premium iPhone

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: This is your premium iphone

If apple moved from 16, 32, 64, people would flock to the 32. Since they introduced the 128 they have to justify the upgrade prices. If the low model was 32 then that would be the biggest seller and they would lose money because for most people 32 is enough. 16 is not going to satisfy most people so they will move to the 64. Its marketing and its very smart on apple's part.

I have a 16gb i5s:
12.9 gb is available from stock. I have 1gb on iPhoto(should be in the cloud but takes a gb away from me), apps take up 2 gb, and I have 1.5 gb in pics. I don't store music or videos because it would take all of my space which is 4gb. I would rather have more freedom and space than say "16gb is a waste".

You should have bought a 32 back then... now if you buy "more freedom" you will get 64 for the same price a 32 cost you last year. You win.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

If apple moved from 16, 32, 64, people would flock to the 32. Since they introduced the 128 they have to justify the upgrade prices. If the low model was 32 then that would be the biggest seller and they would lose money because for most people 32 is enough. 16 is not going to satisfy most people so they will move to the 64. Its marketing and its very smart on apple's part.

I can certainly appreciate what you are saying here. And you are right, Apple knew exactly what they were doing. With that said, I am very happy Apple provided a 128GB option as I am one who will benefit from this. I think those who were going to purchase 32GB anyways are very happy they now get the 64GB. The 16GB folks hoping for a gift? Well, they are aren't so lucky. But, at least they have options. Might not be ideal to them, however, such is life I guess.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

I can see your cynicism is getting the better of you young *padawan (spelling for your future reference there)...you've decided to completely disregard the fact that heavy cloud storage users have no use for large on board storage options (and yes, these days 64GB is a large option). The truth is, most people's storage space is taken up by music, pictures and videos...and with iCloud, you don't have to worry about those things taking up space anymore (if that is your forte), making 16GB (well, technically closer to 13GB) of space for apps perfectly reasonable given the relatively small size of applications on the iPhone.

I know it's more fun to believe that Apple is sitting in Cupertino trying to figure out ways to squeeze every last penny out of every person that buys their product...I mean this becomes clearly evident with the fact that they have such cheap and poor customer service skills and poorly laid out, run down stores to view the products in. Oh...wait...

Other than correcting a spelling error, nothing you said makes any marketing sense and apps take up a large amount of space. The fart app might be small but lets get real, people don't really use it. Facebook uses 250mb alone and the typical game is 500 mb to 1.5 gb, and the average app size is 100gb. Apple pays $13 to double storage so its $26 for them to charge you $100. If you think people that are in the market for a phone don't weigh the options of a 16gb vs 64 then your in a iCloud of your own. People settle for 16 and thats the truth.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

I can certainly appreciate what you are saying here. And you are right, Apple knew exactly what they were doing. With that said, I am very happy Apple provided a 128GB option as I am one who will benefit from this. I think those who were going to purchase 32GB anyways are very happy they now get the 64GB. The 16GB folks hoping for a gift? Well, they are aren't so lucky. But, at least they have options. Might not be ideal to them, however, such is life I guess.

I don't really care what people buy and I think most will be happy. I bought a 64gb because it makes sense for me and the extra $100 happily flew from my pockets to not have to settle on 16gb. 128 gb is an amazing price for the amount of storage found on laptops. Maybe I should have bought a 128? :)

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

You should have bought a 32 back then... now if you buy "more freedom" you will get 64 for the same price a 32 cost you last year. You win.

I picked up this 16gb for $200 on craigslist to get me over until the i6 plus gets here n friday. I had a 64gb and sold it for $500 a few months ago.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

I think the storage sizes are very much pro-consumer.

Many people first starting out with an iPhone may think that 16gb is enough. I know I did. Over the last 2 years, I have had to delete many, many apps or delete my music to free up space to install iOS updates and change apps around. I was going into this iPhone season knowing that I NEED at least 32gb just to breathe, but for what I would have paid for that I am getting twice that in storage. It's a huge weight off of my shoulders knowing that I'll have that much space freely available on my phone without worrying about syncing things to iCloud or deleting my music and hoping that I don't drop signal out on a trail someplace and losing music playback through Match.

If you're someone who doesn't use many apps at all, 16gb will always be fine for you and your price point didn't change. If you know that 16gb isn't enough, Apple did you a favor by giving you 4 times that for $100 more rather than twice that for $100 more.