Mophie Juice Pack Plus for iPhone 5/5s

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have one of these and thought the bulk would be meh but actually I like the fit and the extra battery capacity!

The question I have is with general use, I've been leaving the switch in the 'ON' position (green dot visible) and letting the onboard battery keep the phone charged and running. I check the external battery charge periodically through the day and find that it will last most of the day unless I'm using the phone a lot.

Before retiring at night, I connect my charger and it recharges the pack.

I've read that you should leave the case switch in the 'OFF' position (red dot visible) and allow the phone battery to drain down, then move the case switch over to the 'ON' position so the case battery drains and charges the phone battery back up.

Is using the case battery all the time and keeping the phone charged 100% most of the time more detrimental to the phone battery, aka like leaving a laptop plugged in?

Of course full cycles, the Mophie is supposed to last at least 500 cycles. That's longer than I keep most devices so I have no problem with that.

Or would it be better to balance it out, start with both at 100% and flick the switch on when the phone is around 50% so by the end of the day when I charge them up both are depleted more evenly? (Actually what would probably happen is the mophie would be dead and the phone close to 100% so in essence the mophie is getting a full cycle and the phone half a cycle, etc.

Or does it really matter at all?

Given, I'm sort of a gadget freak and rarely use a device more than six months before handing it to someone else for something new!

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone battery can keep receiving charges for 30days and nights non stop. It will not harm your battery, however, it's advice that during these 30 days, the battery should complete a full cycle. What does this mean: it simply means that you can keep the iPhone in charge for 30days and nights, or in other words, you can keep the battery at 100% of charges for 30 days and nights, but the 31 day, you should use the iPhone battery until it reach 0% and recharge it until it reach 100%. Alternatively, you can chose to use the phone and each time it use 20% you top up back to 100% if you use 20% of the battery each day and top it back to 100% each day, after 5days you will complete a full cycle.
So coming back to mophie, you can leave it on so that it charges the iPhone all the time, and at the end of the month, you just use the phone until it hit 0 before you recharge it. This way of doing have a benefit for your iPhone battery in the long run, it prevent you to kill faster the number of cycle design for the battery. If the iPhone 5s battery is designed with 500 cycles and assume you recharge it each day from 0 to 100% because of heavy usage, at the end of the year you will have killed only 365 to 366 cycles, so your battery, probably can hold full charges for over a year but not 2 years. But with mophie keeping your iPhone battery full charge all the time and where you only complete a full cycle once a month, you will need 500 months before you iPhone battery will lose 100% of charges to 80 or less.
Alternatively, you can simply use the phone without carrying about the batteries mophie and iPhone and just charge it when ever you can do that.

But eventually, either either your mophie battery or your iPhone battery will wear out over time, use it or not, so as long as you are satisfy with the time the combo takes before hit 0% and will need charge, there is nothing to worry about! that what I do with my iPhone 4S and my mophie juice pack plus. I just charge both of them over night then use it until both a empty and then recharge it again over night. My mophie is turned on all the time and never remember that I can even turn it off. It always keeps my phone charge and when it run out of energy, the iPhone battery takes over until it also runs out and then I recharge the set without pulling out the iPhone from thee mophie.
Over all it doesn't mater how you use it, just make sure that in case you never let the iPhone battery drop from 100% you should complete a cycle at least once in a month to keep the battery exercising at least once in a month like recommended by Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I just keep the Mophie set to off until I need to use it. I don't really want to start getting the juice out of the Mophie if my phone is already fully charged. Once I get to 30% or below, I just switch it on.

Jemjee

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I just keep the Mophie set to off until I need to use it. I don't really want to start getting the juice out of the Mophie if my phone is already fully charged. Once I get to 30% or below, I just switch it on.

I do the same thing. There's something comforting about knowing that I have backup battery available if my phone battery gets too low.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

That's the point of the case. That's how I use it too.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with Heisenberg, Jemlee and EmceeGeek, this is also how I use my Mophie Juice Pack.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I think it has to work harder this way. When I use mine I use it more of a trickle charger. I did it this way couple weeks ago when I went to Yankee game. Two hour train ride each way streaming podcasts and other stuff and still had battery almost full when I got home.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I use mine all week. I take it off icon the weekends. During the week I just leave the case on. I have the plus. By the time I get home it's just about ready to use my iPhone battery so if I want to got out I just pop the case off and I have a fully charged phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think it has to work harder this way. When I use mine I use it more of a trickle charger. I did it this way couple weeks ago when I went to Yankee game. Two hour train ride each way streaming podcasts and other stuff and still had battery almost full when I got home.

Yeah, I mean, in reality there probably isn't really a wrong way to use it. Only if you're charging the phone and case at the same time with the micro-usb, one should keep the switch to red (off). Really the only wrong thing you can do with it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use mine all week. I take it off icon the weekends. During the week I just leave the case on. I have the plus. By the time I get home it's just about ready to use my iPhone battery so if I want to got out I just pop the case off and I have a fully charged phone.

I learned it from you

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a juice pack air. Mophie recommends charging the phone at 40% and stopping at 80. Take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
If you use the case first they both last longer and the phone doesn't get hot like it does when you charge it from the case.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have a Mophie Helium
Mon - Sat I start the day using the Mophie charger.
If it runs out then my iPhone 5s is on it's own.
No issues with it running hot while using the Mophie.
On Sundays, I use the iPhone battery.
My case has been on since the day I bought the phone.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I do the same thing, just turn it on when my gold 5s needs a charge.

Jemjee

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
For kicks, I decided to try leaving my juice pack switched on all day, and I have to tell you I'm pleased with how it went. I used my phone quite a bit today, and after 12 hours I still have 25% battery left. I liked that it didn't get hot. Usually, I would just switch it on when my battery got low and it would charge, but get pretty hot. I think I like this way better.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never had one of these. I think I might just get one!

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77