How durable are iphone 5S's

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My question is basically how durable are these phones to bumps and small drops? Since there's no moving parts, does it mean it will be noticeable if the phone is bumped hard enough and there's internal damage?

I have the phone in a speck candy shell grip case, but wondering if I should get something more protective like the otterbox commuter. I'm a little paranoid because I also don't have AppleCare for the phone. So getting a replacement might be tougher down the line if something does happen.

LuckRocks

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
My question is basically how durable are these phones to bumps and small drops? Since there's no moving parts, does it mean it will be noticeable if the phone is bumped hard enough and there's internal damage?

I have the phone in a speck candy shell grip case, but wondering if I should get something more protective like the otterbox commuter. I'm a little paranoid because I also don't have AppleCare for the phone. So getting a replacement might be tougher down the line if something does happen.

Take a look at the spigen tough armor for the 5s, I personally love it. You'll want to get a screen protector for the back. I just personally don't like otterboxes.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My personal opinion is that it's really hard to grip iPhone 5s sometimes, which to me automatically means you need a case and a screen protector (for when the screen can break under drops). After which you can pretty much get any type of case or screen protector you want. I heard good things about Product Red cases so you might want to check those out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
if you're afraid you're going to drop it, then you will. it's that simple

at work i use a Tech21 D30 Impactology case. i work in the construction industry, it works great and have no qualms with it

outside of work my 5s is naked like you just took it out of the box for the very first time. never had one drop the entire time i had my 5, never even worried about. the only reason i have one now is for resale value. it will help with all of the little nicks & scratches that occur over time (normal wear & tear)

as far as durability... i do not use a screen protector and sometimes i will accidentally put my phone in my pocket with change or other things that you might question and to date there are no scratches. the rest of the phone, so far, is in excellent condition as well

and i agree, anything Otterbox is hideous and a tragedy to put on such a beautiful device

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Simple theory $749 (iPhone 5s 32gb) VS. $25 (case approx price). The iPhone 5/5s are GREAT looking devices and I don't like "hiding" my Gold 5s so I try to find cases that enhance the look of the iPhone. Spigen and Luvvitt make minnimal Crystal Clear cases that look GREAT and still shows off the iPhone. How durable are iphone 5s's ....not sure, but why take a chance with so many case options

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Dropped my 5S naked for the first time since I got it in October. Took a nice bounce on the tile floor in the gym locker room. Landed on its face. Small dent was the damage. I have to say, it was a pretty hard fall. I also should mention that I don't mind because I have AppleCare +

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a iPhone suffer any internal damage from a drop and I've dropped every one I've had.
But damage external or internal is all based on how hard it hits and what it hits.
I always refer to my iPad when it flew out of a bag of mine. It hit some steps just the right way where the volume rocker got pushed in and caused external and internal damage and it was in a case.

It fell right on the opening for the volume switch. That opening is just a few inches. So ya never know what could happen.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at the spigen tough armor for the 5s, I personally love it. You'll want to get a screen protector for the back. I just personally don't like otterboxes.

Yeah, that spigen case looks nice. But would the speck candy she grip I have on right now probably be good enough?

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the Yellow Jacket case, because its big and has a taser built right in. And yes, Speck Candyshells are good drops and bumps.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it all depends on what it's dropped on and how high it's dropped from. I have a case holster Combo from Verizon and I have dropped mine at least 6 times on concrete with no damage at all, but a coworker of mine dropped his with a otter box from the same hight on concrete and his screen cracked go figure. This is why I purchase a warranty.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Your main question about damage is it's build to take a hit you will get damage but the phone will still be usable

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I DROPPED my 5s today for the first time, glad I had my LUVVITT Crystal case on. I'm happy to report NO damage to the iPhone or case.......did I mention I dropped it on my daughters carpeted living room floor....SMILE

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues from drops. Unfortunately, I've dropped my 5S with/without a case and it works perfectly. It actually still looks great...no dings or nicks:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2