[REVIEW] Speck Presidio Grip for the iPhone XS Max

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Speck is a big name when it comes to phone cases. They have been around a while, and I’ve had the privilege of reviewing one of their cases before. I’m a creature of habit, so I was happy to grab the latest iteration of the Speck Presidio Grip when the opportunity presented itself this time. One great feature in this case is the level of protection, combined with the color options, and sleek profile. But why waste all of the good info here? Let’s dive into the full review of the Speck Presidio Grip case.

MVIMG_20181027_225635.jpg

What’s in a Name: When I see the brand “Speck”, I can’t help but think that someone is doing a play on words with the word “spectacular”. I haven’t tested out very many Speck cases, but… I don’t have to. Based on the sampling of their products that I have had the privilege of reviewing and seeing at the store, I have been impressed with a) the quality, and b) the variety. Most manufacturers consistently offer two colors: black, and clear. Sometimes they change it up, but usually… that’s about all she wrote. One thing that I love about Speck is even though they have several mainstays in their case collection, they offer a wide variety of color options as well! To highlight this, I went ahead and chose the Speck Presidio Slim with the two-tone color pattern consisting of Dolphin Gray and Aloe Green combination – seriously, those are the names! In addition to this color, it also comes in nine (9) other color options: Black/Black, Graphite Grey/Charcoal Grey, Eclipse Blue/Carbon Black, Microchip Grey/Ballpoint Blue, Veil White/Lipliner Pink, Black/Dark Poppy Red, Dove Gray/Tart Pink, and Heartrate Red/Vermillion Red. So… yeah, they have more colors than you can shake a stick at. I’m not sure if all of them are actual “real” color names, but I’m not going to make them get the Scrabble dictionary out and prove it.

IMG_20181027_225933.jpg
IMG_20181027_225749.jpg

Hooked on a Feeling: The Speck Presidio Grip feels exactly the way the name implies; grippy. In fact, I’d have to say that it’s probably the grippiest case West of the Mississippi… or East for the matter. If you ever thought to yourself “Man, I really want a case that’s so grippy that it’s not even funny”, then this is the one for you. Speck specifically designed the bumpers on this case to have a no-slip grip on around the edges to eliminate slips and drops, and I have to say that it’s working. However, even though it’s “grippy” in one sense of the word, it’s not sticky, which means that the material has a nice clean finish and hold to it. And in addition to being ultra grippy and feeling good in the hand, it’s also very slim, which is a marvel in and of itself. The case has excellent security – which I will discuss below – but the form-factor is paired down and conforms to the body of your phone really well! It’s fantastic.

IMG_20181027_225919.jpg
IMG_20181027_225758.jpg

Super Safe: In addition to being grippy, cool, and slim, this case also oozes safety and protection. You would never believe it if it weren’t written on the box and backed by one-year warranty and 30-day satisfaction guarantee, but this case actually has 10ft of drop protection. Yes, ladies and gentlemen… 10… feet, which is just uncanny. Normally a case with 10ft of drop protection looks and feels like a brick, but not the Presidio Grip, and that’s largely because of their trademarked IMPACTIUM ™ material that they used to create the case. The Presidio Grip is a two-layer case design, comprised of a tough outer shell, surrounded by a softer shell made out of the IMPACTIUM ™, that works together to provide maximum effort in protecting your phone. The two-layer system is scientifically designed and has specially designed crash zones, to help whisk away the impact from your phone and keep it nice and safe! It’s really quite novel, and well-constructed.

IMG_20181027_225948.jpg
IMG_20181027_225955.jpg

Conclusion: The Speck Presidio Grip is a solid case that’s a real pleasure to carry. Not only are the color options as varied as the shades of the sky, but it’s also incredibly grippy, super safe, and put together like Fort Knox. Sure, the price tag is a little steeper than some of the other cases that I review (MSRP $44.95), but it’s worth it. I typically have a hard time justifying that kind of price tag on a case, but as you can see form what I had to say about it, the justification pretty much speaks for itself. It’s a solid case that is as versatile as it is stylish, and protective.

IMG_20181027_225926.jpg

If you’re interested in picking up one of Speck’s Presidio Grip cases, you can find them on Speck’s website for $44.95 - https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...-max-cases%2FIPXP-PR-GRIP.html&token=TOZYx0Fj - As always, if you have any questions or comments, please leave them down in the comments section.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I don't know how you can top these if you are after protection, grip and slim in the same package.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Speck is a big name when it comes to phone cases. They have been around a while, and I’ve had the privilege of reviewing one of their cases before. I’m a creature of habit, so I was happy to grab the latest iteration of the Speck Presidio Grip when the opportunity presented itself this time. One great feature in this case is the level of protection, combined with the color options, and sleek profile. But why waste all of the good info here? Let’s dive into the full review of the Speck Presidio Grip case.

View attachment 124895

What’s in a Name: When I see the brand “Speck”, I can’t help but think that someone is doing a play on words with the word “spectacular”. I haven’t tested out very many Speck cases, but… I don’t have to. Based on the sampling of their products that I have had the privilege of reviewing and seeing at the store, I have been impressed with a) the quality, and b) the variety. Most manufacturers consistently offer two colors: black, and clear. Sometimes they change it up, but usually… that’s about all she wrote. One thing that I love about Speck is even though they have several mainstays in their case collection, they offer a wide variety of color options as well! To highlight this, I went ahead and chose the Speck Presidio Slim with the two-tone color pattern consisting of Dolphin Gray and Aloe Green combination – seriously, those are the names! In addition to this color, it also comes in nine (9) other color options: Black/Black, Graphite Grey/Charcoal Grey, Eclipse Blue/Carbon Black, Microchip Grey/Ballpoint Blue, Veil White/Lipliner Pink, Black/Dark Poppy Red, Dove Gray/Tart Pink, and Heartrate Red/Vermillion Red. So… yeah, they have more colors than you can shake a stick at. I’m not sure if all of them are actual “real” color names, but I’m not going to make them get the Scrabble dictionary out and prove it.

View attachment 124894
View attachment 124896

Hooked on a Feeling: The Speck Presidio Grip feels exactly the way the name implies; grippy. In fact, I’d have to say that it’s probably the grippiest case West of the Mississippi… or East for the matter. If you ever thought to yourself “Man, I really want a case that’s so grippy that it’s not even funny”, then this is the one for you. Speck specifically designed the bumpers on this case to have a no-slip grip on around the edges to eliminate slips and drops, and I have to say that it’s working. However, even though it’s “grippy” in one sense of the word, it’s not sticky, which means that the material has a nice clean finish and hold to it. And in addition to being ultra grippy and feeling good in the hand, it’s also very slim, which is a marvel in and of itself. The case has excellent security – which I will discuss below – but the form-factor is paired down and conforms to the body of your phone really well! It’s fantastic.

View attachment 124897
View attachment 124898

Super Safe: In addition to being grippy, cool, and slim, this case also oozes safety and protection. You would never believe it if it weren’t written on the box and backed by one-year warranty and 30-day satisfaction guarantee, but this case actually has 10ft of drop protection. Yes, ladies and gentlemen… 10… feet, which is just uncanny. Normally a case with 10ft of drop protection looks and feels like a brick, but not the Presidio Grip, and that’s largely because of their trademarked IMPACTIUM material that they used to create the case. The Presidio Grip is a two-layer case design, comprised of a tough outer shell, surrounded by a softer shell made out of the IMPACTIUM , that works together to provide maximum effort in protecting your phone. The two-layer system is scientifically designed and has specially designed crash zones, to help whisk away the impact from your phone and keep it nice and safe! It’s really quite novel, and well-constructed.

View attachment 124899
View attachment 124900

Conclusion: The Speck Presidio Grip is a solid case that’s a real pleasure to carry. Not only are the color options as varied as the shades of the sky, but it’s also incredibly grippy, super safe, and put together like Fort Knox. Sure, the price tag is a little steeper than some of the other cases that I review (MSRP $44.95), but it’s worth it. I typically have a hard time justifying that kind of price tag on a case, but as you can see form what I had to say about it, the justification pretty much speaks for itself. It’s a solid case that is as versatile as it is stylish, and protective.

View attachment 124901

If you’re interested in picking up one of Speck’s Presidio Grip cases, you can find them on Speck’s website for $44.95 - https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...-max-cases%2FIPXP-PR-GRIP.html&token=OizPQufC - As always, if you have any questions or comments, please leave them down in the comments section.

My only gripe is the lighter colors get dirty so quickly. I love some of the colors but won’t buy them because of this.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Love this case just SO wish it wouldn’t turn my work slacks packet inside out upon removal *

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
My only gripe is the lighter colors get dirty so quickly. I love some of the colors but won’t buy them because of this.

I haven't run into that issue, but I also haven't had it for very long. That's definitely a good long-term consideration to keep in the back of your mind though.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I just bought one of these and I’m glad I did. I had one about 5 years ago for an Android phone I had at the time and I always loved the feel of it, but it was black and white and not the prettiest thing.
I checked them out again thanks to this review and found a multitude of colors! Some colors were on sale and I got the starlight purple (sparkles) and cattleya pink for $31. Wasn’t sure I would like it but wow, it’s gorgeous! The purple is a very nice eggplant color and very classy and it sparkles just enough to be eye catching. Seriously love this thing! Think I’m selling all the other cases except my Apple leather. This case feels great, it’s slim and protective, and it’s really beautiful.
Thanks for a great review!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
A recent work project and international trip just reaffirmed this series as my favorite for a lot of protection but not a ridiculous hunk of plastic. I was with people who had the fat Otter and complicated mold UAGs. I do stick with black even though I clean phones and cases often.

These have good corners and a lip that gives top coverage yet they go in a phone or pants pocket well with the grip strips. With SO many phones in rough service at work I see over and over that the silly fat back cases don't do much compared to a case with protective edges and a lip that goes over the top.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Love the grip series. I have one on my s9 plus and ordered one for my xs max that is coming Tuesday. Plus my wife and daughter both have them on their iphones.

I've tried many different cases over the years and keep coming back to the presidio grip.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Some of the new colors make me jealous or feel like acting without financial responsibility! I got my all black as only choice when the Max first shipped.

Colors aside, more time and work means I can say for sure these remain my IT director’s favorite for protective cases. Thinner than other popular ones, they clean up well, and work well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2