Restore iCould vs iTunes

NickA

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have an iPhone 5 and took advantage of the BestBuy $75 off on the 5s. I've read countless debates on setting up a new iOS device as new versus restoring from a backup. I normally setup al my devices (Android included) as new, but I have so much stuff on this iPhone and really don't want to spend the time customizing the 5s to look look the same.

My biggest concern restoring from iCould would be battery life. So is there any benefit to doing a backup in iTunes, and restoring from that? Or should I just go ahead and set it up as new and start fresh, copying only pics and videos?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have a great deal of photos you're trying to restore, restoring from an iCloud backup isn't bad at all and is quite easy and effective. Restoring from a backup, in General, will not negatively affect a new device, but if you have been experiencing problems prior to backing up the device, I would NOT restore that backup to a new device. I would definitely set it up as new. In your situation, either iCloud or iTunes should be sufficient, and battery usage will not be affected that much -- at least not in my experience...:)

NickA

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a great deal of photos you're trying to restore, restoring from an iCloud backup isn't bad at all and is quite easy and effective. Restoring from a backup, in General, will not negatively affect a new device, but if you have been experiencing problems prior to backing up the device, I would NOT restore that backup to a new device. I would definitely set it up as new. In your situation, either iCloud or iTunes should be sufficient, and battery usage will not be affected that much -- at least not in my experience...:)

I'm not having any issues with this phone or anything, I just couldn't pass up the deal at BestBuy. And I had reward certificates to spend anyway.

I will do the iCloud restore, and if it looks like I'm experiencing issues after a week or so I can just start fresh.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That is a good attitude, I would have gone new unless you don't want to spend all the time redoing all your settings. Personally when I got my 5S I set it up as new and then restored from my backup and that was quite some time ago and have not had issues and my battery life I could not ask for better. Good luck with the new phone. BTW I used iTunes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77